GA citizen's help desperately needed

This is a discussion on GA citizen's help desperately needed within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; SB308 as passed, summary and vote can all be found at Georgia General Assembly - SB 308 . SB291 that passed can be found at ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GA citizen's help desperately needed

SB308 as passed, summary and vote can all be found at Georgia General Assembly - SB 308.

SB291 that passed can be found at http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2009_10/sum/sb291.htm

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    As the senate site states :

Senate passed and adopted? Does this mean the next step is off to Purdue to sign? I thought it had to be passed by the congress as well?

Thanks!

also...

I like this part ALOT!!!

Towards the very end of the bill.

1037 This part and Parts I, III, IIIA, and IV of this Act shall become effective upon its approval
    1038 by the Governor
    or upon its becoming law without such approval and shall apply to all
    1039 offenses committed on and after such date. The enactment of this Act shall not affect any
    1040 prosecutions for acts occurring before the effective date of this Act and shall not act as an
    1041 abatement of any such prosecutions.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Oh and another thing I like.

Price of license reduced from 40 to 15 in SB291. Govt is required to notify you of renewal 90 days prior and submit appropriate paperwork for your renewal process.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

No, it is off to the house now. If passed as is by the house without any major changes, then it is veto proof once it reaches the Governors office.

I dont think Purdue would veto it.. He seems to be pretty pro 2a. But I havent looked at his voting record im just going off record.

When will the next step take place? What will it consist of?

Providing Sonny doesn't let it sit on his desk do you think by summer it will be done?

Purdue will sign it......but as a furloughed state worker he still is a terd.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

There was a hearing on it in the House Seltzer Judiciary Subcommittee on 4-1-10, but I haven't been able to find anything on it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    The ones that passed where mostly to correct language, clarify language, etc. However, one did get added that will allow adult education and technical and trade institutes to set gun policy at their campuses/buildings basically adding legal weight to signs/policies at these places the same as we already have with Colleges.
    After re-reading the most recent version of SB 308, it appears that there are very well defined situations in which a lawful license holder is guilty of carrying a weapon into an unauthorized location and the offense is punishable by law. These conditions are found in Section 1-3, which is an amendment of 16-11-127, the section of Georgia Code where the Public Gathering statute is currently found. The only condition that is related to lawful weapon license holders and post-secondary schools is when the Georgia Board of Regents sets policy to prohibit firearms at athletic events being held in an athletic facility that is held on property that the BoR owns or leases. The State Board of Technical and Adult Education may have been recognized as reserving the right to set policy at their facilities, but it doesn't appear that a violation of those policies is any thing more than an administrative offense to be decided by the school. With that said, I'm sure that a criminal trespass violation could be issued if an armed person refuses to leave when asked. But that's always true regardless if a person is armed or not. In sum, the university/adult-ed/technical school carry policy seems more narrow a definition than your comment suggests. For WCL holders, it doesn't appear to automatically be an arrestable offense. I also don't find any language at all that would lend credibility to signs having legal weight in Georgia, neither now or in the future.

Some of the provisions of this bill raises suspicions though. For instance, why have the bill's authors saw fit to include the provision (section 1-10) that stipulates that carrying without the physical possession of one's license is a prima-facie evidence of carrying WITHOUT a license? In effect, that language has just made it a criminal offense for a license holder to accidentally leave their license behind at home when going out armed. Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot? Then, when one digs deeper, there is an insinuation that the offense could lead to the revocation of the license and a five year dis-qualifier before reapplication is permitted (section 1-7). That sounds like gun control language to me.

I'm also VERY CONCERNED about section 1-4. The implications are huge, and so I'm going to withhold comment until I've spent more time researching the topic. I'd like to correspond with the sponsors directly on this one. That's how damning it could potentially be.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Great points but as it stands now the law provides no area of protection or criminalization of a person forgetting to carry their permit with them. In addition to being banned from obtaining a future permit or a revocation of existing there are no laws for or against or clearly stating how to handle those situations. With the current law on the books it leaves alot of play for a justice to "deem" his opinion of the situation which in many courts can SCREW you badly.

This law appears to better clarify the gray area to a more black and white and leaves less power in the hands of a justice in most cases that otherwise before would have been a case of raw power judgment based on that same gray area.

How this does not rule out the potential "Gun control" language that you intercepted. Nice find.

From what I understand, the first House Seltzer Judiciary Subcommittee on SB308 presented a radically changed bill than what was passed from the Senate Floor. There's another meeting on it in the House Seltzer Judiciary Subcommittee this Wednesday (4-14-10) at 2:00pm in Room 403CAP at the Atlanta Capitol building (206 Washington Street).

As far as I know, this meeting is open to the public and anyone who wants to express their input should attend.
    http://www.saf.org/ --- Fighting for American's Gun Rights
    http://GeorgiaCarry.org --- Fighting for Georgian's Gun Rights.
    http://Georgiapacking.org --- Discussion of Georgia Gun Laws.

I'm fairly certain that I'll be in attendance on Wednesday.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Hrrm I might attend however I need to play catch up on what exactly will be on the floor that day that we the people would be attending

Meeting has been moved to April 15th.

Calendar Detail

Time: 8:00 AM - 9:30 AM Location: 132 CAP
    The Setzler Subcommittee of the Judiciary Non-Civil Committee HAS BEEN MOVED TO THURSDAY, APRIL 15, 2010, AT 8:00 AM, in ROOM 132 CAP.

AGENDA

SB 308 - Firearms; carrying and possession; change provisions; definitions (Seabaugh, Mitch)
    http://www.saf.org/ --- Fighting for American's Gun Rights
    http://GeorgiaCarry.org --- Fighting for Georgian's Gun Rights.
    http://Georgiapacking.org --- Discussion of Georgia Gun Laws.

There isnt alot of detail on what these changes to provisions will be from what I can see...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links