GA citizen's help desperately needed

This is a discussion on GA citizen's help desperately needed within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We have no time to waste. From GeorgiaCarry.org: Crossover day is fast approaching. This is the day when bills that do not pass one chamber ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GA citizen's help desperately needed

GA citizen's help desperately needed

We have no time to waste. From GeorgiaCarry.org:

Crossover day is fast approaching. This is the day when bills that do not pass one chamber or the other are dead. This year, it appears that crossover day is going to be next Thursday, March 25, 2010. This date is less than one week away.

SB 308 made it out of the Special Judiciary Committee, but the Senate Rules Committee has not yet scheduled a floor vote by the entire Senate. Again, a floor vote must take place by Thursday. GeorgiaCarry.Org has worked through the schedule that it provided its members for contacting the Rules Committee - without success. Time is now short. Personal contacts are best, but if you cannot do that, then please write, email, fax, and call on the telephone. With almost 6,000 members, GCO should be able to flood them with paper over the next week.

Please do the following four things.

(1) If you have not yet contacted the Lt. Governor's office, do so. Mail a paper letter, and, in addition, fax it if you have access to a fax machine. Send an email, and call. If you previously sent an email, then write a paper letter, mail it, fax it, and call.

TEL: (404) 656-5030
    FAX: (404) 656-6739

Mailing Address:

Office of the Lieutenant Governor
    Administrative Staff
    240 State Capitol
    Atlanta, GA 30334

(2) If you have not yet contacted the Rules Committee Chairman, Sen. Don Balfour, again, please do so. Mail a paper letter, send an emai, and call. If you missed one or more of those methods of contact, such as you called on the telephone but did not do the others, then now is the time to do the others.

Capitol Office:

* 453 State Capitol
    * Atlanta, GA 30334
    * Phone: (404) 656-0095
    * Fax: (404) 656-6581

Legislative Assistant:

Beverly Crumbley

District Office:

* 2312 Waterscape Trail
    Snellville, GA 30078
    Phone: (770) 729-5764 (O)

(3) Then please select at least three Senators from the Rules Committee at random (making sure to include your own as one of the three if your Senator is on the Committee), and write, email, and call those three Senators.
    Balfour, Don (R-SS 09) Chairman
    Hamrick, Bill (R-SS 30) Vice Chairman
    Seabaugh, Mitch (R-SS 28) Secretary
    Adelman, David (D-SS 42) Member
    Butler, Gloria S. (D-SS 55) Member
    Hill, Jack (R-SS 04) Member
    Hooks, George (D-SS 14) Member
    Moody, Dan (R-SS 56) Member
    Mullis, Jeff (R-SS 53) Member
    Pearson, Chip (R-SS 51) Member
    Rogers, Chip (R-SS 21) Ex-Officio
    Shafer, David (R-SS 48) Ex-Officio
    Smith, Preston W. (R-SS 52) Member
    Thomas, Don (R-SS 54) Member
    Tolleson, Ross (R-SS 20) Member
    Unterman, Renee S (R-SS 45) Ex-Officio
    Williams, Tommie (R-SS 19) Member

All of the names should be a hot link to their contact information. The link for the Rules Committee members is listed here. Please do not copy all of the Senators on the Committee on an email. The emails are much more effective if they are sent from one individual Georgian to one individual Senator.

(4) Contact your own Senator. Once Rules puts it on the floor for a vote, your Senator will have to decide how to vote for it. Make sure your Senator knows that you want a vote in favor of SB 308.

2010 is the last year of a two year session. March 25, 2010 will be the last day to pass SB 308 out of the Senate and cross it over into the House. Please do not delay.

2. Remove Ads

I spent yesterday afternoon faxing letters. I'm also keeping a list of those that need to be voted out next go 'round!

Stay vigilant!
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Im HIGHLY HOPING THAT HB 615 gains momentum and a PASS!
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Don't know if this is too late, but this was in my email tonight when I got home....

Dear GCO Member,

We have one more favor to ask of you this week. SB308 has passed the Rules Committee and will be on the Senate Floor for a vote tomorrow, March 24, 2010. As Georgia's premier advocacy group for the civil right to bear arms, GCO members can make their influence felt in the Senate for tomorrow's vote, but only if you step up and make your voices heard. We need every member to call, email or Fax your Senator and ask for their support on SB308.

If your Senator is undecided, it is time for him/her to decide how to vote on SB308. Make sure your Senator knows that you want a vote in favor of SB 308.

The time to act is now if you wish to influence the passage of SB 308 and rid Georgia of the public gathering law. Please make the contacts needed to pass SB 308 out of the Senate and on to the House. The events will grind on with or without your participation.

Senator Rodgers,

As a Citizen of the State of Georgia I highly ask that you consider being in favor the SB 308 bill. I have thoroughly read the contents of the proposed legislation and have to to agree that the bill will as follows:

-Allow more freedoms and less restriction to law abiding citizens.
    -Allow more freedom for citizens to protect themselves from criminals that current legislation protects criminals from the law abiding citizen.
    -Highly reduce crime rates whereas criminals used to take advantage of knowing citizens were unarmed in public gatherings.
    -The list goes on...

With the state house denying our rights to opt out of this well known un-constitutional "ObamaCare" package that has been rammed down our throats. The congress on capital hill ramming it down our throats and the fact that no public representative seems to represent anything except their own gain. I ask you to please regard your constituents' wishes in this matter and vote "Yea" for SB308.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Im not quite sure what the difference is here. Can someone please explain....

(b) Enhanced weapons carry license. A license holder may apply for and receive an enhanced weapons carry license if he or she presents sufficient evidence demonstrating completion of a handgun safety course, a hunter's safety course, a military certificate of release, or discharge from active duty from the United States armed forces.

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    Im not quite sure what the difference is here. Can someone please explain....

(b) Enhanced weapons carry license. A license holder may apply for and receive an enhanced weapons carry license if he or she presents sufficient evidence demonstrating completion of a handgun safety course, a hunter's safety course, a military certificate of release, or discharge from active duty from the United States armed forces.
    I believe it's to work toward having reciprocity with more states that require training before issuing permits (such as SC).

After a few amendments, SB308 just passed the Senate.

BTW, you can watch live coverage of the Senate at Georgia State Senate - Live Session | Georgia Public Broadcasting

What amendments?

Got this reply from Senator Chip Rodgers here in my district....

Thanks for your message.

I am the first co-sponsor of SB 308. It is one of the very best bills we have to consider this year. I will do all I can to make this become law.

Probably from an intern but non the less simple and to the point and either way stresses his concern and his support for our gun rights in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    What amendments?
    The ones that passed where mostly to correct language, clarify language, etc. However, one did get added that will allow adult education and technical and trade institutes to set gun policy at their campuses/buildings basically adding legal weight to signs/policies at these places the same as we already have with Colleges.

There's a good read at SB 308 passes Georgia Senate by veto proof majority, though I am still hunting the actual tally of who voted for and who against.

After SB308 passed the Senate, SB291 came up and passed also.

SB291 was written to allow car carry while dropping off/picking up from the airport as well as remove the Governors power to restrict/confiscate firearms during a state of emergency, allow OC without a permit and require notification/reminder 90 days before your permit expires.

The bill was amended to drop the airport section as it would of been redundant to the airport carry legislation that had just passed in SB308, and thus not needed. The Governor had objected to removing state of emergency firearms restrictions from him and the bill's author removed that legislation from the bill at the Governors request.

Both bills will now proceed to the House.

BTW while watching the proceedings I watched Senator Nan Orrock state that McDonalds and Walmart have the ability to make firearms policy (though it has no legal weight) , so why can't we (she was referring to herself and airport officials, etc.). The way she stated it was very elitist and insinuated that they (those with power) should have the right, not the people who elected them even though the places she wanted the right for were paid for and operated with public dollars for the public.

I feel that her argument sat badly with a few that may have otherwise voted for her amendment who realize that these are public places paid for by the taxpayers and policys belong under public influence, not the same as private businesses.

Thanks ... doing more research!

Here's the update from GCO on how each Senator voted. Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news fights hard for bills such as these to get introduced and passed. Any Georgia resident who wishes to have gun rights expanded, fought for or even just wants what we already have to keep from being taken away needs to make a donation to GCO.

Dear GCO Member,

Now that SB308 has passed the Senate and is on its way to the House of Representatives, we need to take time to thank our Senators who voted for SB308 and to do so right away. We took the effort to ask them to support our cause, and we should also make the effort to thank them, preferably a letter via US Postal Service.

Also, if your Senator was one of the 12 that voted Nay, please write a polite letter asking why he/she doe not support your civil rights.

This is a very important step for us to take before we gear up for SB308 in the House. Let's not forget to thank those who have supported us thus far.

The Senators who voted NAY are:

Emanuel D. Jones - 10th
    Ed Harbison - 15th
    Robert Brown - 26th
    Steve Thompson - 33rd
    Valencia Seay - 34th
    Donzella James - 35th
    Nan Orrock - 36th
    Horacena Tate - 38th
    Vencent D. Fort - 39th
    Steve Henson - 41st
    Gail Buckner - 44th
    Gloria Butler - 55th

With,

Doug Stoner - 6th - EXC

All other Senators voted Yea!

I am drafting letters to all my district congressmen. I also know one that owns Hi-Caliber shooting supplies and range in HollySprings, GA. Im going to go and talk to him as soon as I get a chance and probably buy a box of much coveted .380 acp.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links