Rattling the Second Amendment Saber

This is a discussion on Rattling the Second Amendment Saber within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There is some tough talk here. Sounds like a few people are really seeing the downhill slide of our country. Rattling the Second Amendment Saber ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rattling the Second Amendment Saber

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

There is some tough talk here. Sounds like a few people are really seeing the downhill slide of our country.

Rattling the Second Amendment Saber - HUMAN EVENTS

by Skip Coryell (more by this author)
    Posted 03/23/2010 ET

According to Webster’s New World College Dictionary, the term “saber rattling” is defined as:

a threatening of war, or a menacing show of armed force.

Some people call it posturing. In the animal world it’s related to establishing “pecking order”. Some people would have us believe that a pecking order is a bad thing, that it’s barbaric, and should be reserved only for the animal world. I disagree. It’s a natural thing that will happen no matter how much people try to suppress it. Pecking order keeps the world in a state of organized cosmos. Every playground has one, every corporate board room, and even the halls of Congress. It’s the way the world works, and without it there would be chaos and unending strife. People have to know who is in charge and who must bend the knee and kiss the ring that rules.

I suppose that’s why firearms are so important. They are the equalizing force, available to all free people everywhere. They tell the 200-pound sexually aggressive male that he must not rape the 120-pound female, who is alone on the street at night with no one around to protect her. The firearm gives her the ability to kill the stronger male.

Firearms tell the sociopath that he must not break into your family’s home at night and kill your family as you sleep. There is always the chance that you will awaken, get your firearm and shoot him until he dies. Dead sociopaths and dead rapists. That’s a good thing, a necessary thing for society to function in an orderly fashion.

Without the right to keep and bear arms, we revert to humanity’s default state of “law of the jungle”, where only the strong survive, where the big rule the small, and where the weak die in a puddle of blood, flesh and urine. We need the firearm and the freedom to use it or our children will live in a binary world of masters and slaves, with no check on immorality, no governor to hold the strong accountable, and no way to protect the weak from the strong.

In a world without freedom and firearms, only the evil will have guns, and they will use them to the detriment and enslavement of good people everywhere. History has taught us that, and it’s a lesson we should forget only at our own peril.

So what does all this have to do with saber rattling, a threatening of war, or a menacing show of armed force?

Look at the present situation in America. Many say we are on the brink of economic collapse. Our elected officials exude an unprecedented arrogance, totally ignoring the will of the people, hell-bent on dragging us into a world we neither want for ourselves nor our children. In short, the pecking order has been established, and it’s 180 degrees out of phase. They are the ruling class and we are subservient to them.

Or are we?

I hear the clank of metal on metal in the distance.

All across the country, Americans are rising up and biting the hand that feeds them. In some cases, the hand is getting ripped clean off! In Virginia, in New Jersey, and even in Massachusetts. The chain is chafing their necks and they want it gone!

The politicians…they ignore us.

For the past year we’ve heard a lot about the TEA parties and the nine-twelvers. People like Glenn Beck (God bless him) continue to educate America on Freedom 101 and the original intent of our founding fathers. We the people have been exercising our First Amendment rights to the hilt. We’re screaming! We’re protesting! We’re faxing! We’re phoning and marching and yelling….

But still…they ignore us.

I hear the clank of metal on metal in the distance, but not so distant today as it was yesterday or the day before, or the day before, or the day before.

I have a feeling, just a feeling, that I’m not alone. There are a lot of people out there like me who will no longer tolerate the arrogance of politicians who ignore us. I’ve been told that there’s only one thing worse than being abused, and that’s being ignored. If you kick me, at least I know I exist. But if you ignore me, then I’m not even worth the trouble.

And here’s the million-dollar question: “What happens if the First Amendment fails?”

Our founding fathers answered that when the King of England ignored their pleas for fairness, for equal representation, and for basic human rights. The founders rattled their sabers for years, hoping above hope that they would never have to use them. But, in the end, the King acted like a King and tried to dominate and disarm his disloyal subjects.

Several years ago, I was teaching a husband and wife in a private firearms class. We were on the range behind their barn, shooting at targets up against an embankment. The woman was shooting a nice, 9mm Glock, and she honestly could not hit the broad side of a barn from the inside. I tried everything I knew to get her on target, but it was no use. I couldn’t find the problem. Her husband told me she was a good shot, and that she usually shot better than he did. I questioned her some more, and she finally threw up her hands in frustration and said, “I don’t even know why I’m doing this! I could never shoot anyone anyways. My husband made me take this class!” At her remark, a light went off in my head, and I interjected. “What if someone was trying to kill you? Could you shoot someone then?” She said, “No! I couldn’t kill someone to save my own life. I’d just go ahead and die!”

I thought that was rather odd, but I could tell she was sincere, so I thought about it a second, and then I said.

“Okay, let’s use a little training technique called visualization.”

She nodded her head impatiently.

“Okay, here’s the scenario: You’re at the gas station filling your tank. A man drives up and parks next to your car. He gets out, walks over, reaches through the open window of your car, removes your daughter from her car seat and puts her in his own vehicle. He then starts to get into his car to drive away.”

There was a horrified look on the young mother’s face.

“At that moment in time, could you take another human life?”

Without hesitation, this proper Christian woman said, “I would kill that son of a female dog!

I said, “Okay then, that target down there is the man who is stealing your daughter. Fire away.” She never missed the target again.

My question to everyone reading this article is this: “For you, as an individual, when do you draw your saber? When do you say “Yes, I am willing to rise up and overthrow an oppressive, totalitarian government?”

Is it when the government takes away your private business?
    Is it when the government rigs elections?
    Is it when the government imposes martial law?
    Is it when the government takes away your firearms?

Now, don’t get me wrong. I’m not advocating the immediate use of force against the government. It isn’t time, and hopefully that time will never come. But one thing is certain: “Now is the time to rattle your sabers.” If not now, then when?

When the government ignores the First Amendment, it is time to rattle the Second Amendment sabers. It’s all about accountability. So long as our elected officials believe we will rise up and overthrow them under certain conditions, then they will not allow those conditions to occur. Their jobs and their very lives depend on it.

I understand that sounds harsh, but these are harsh times. Now is the time to rattle the saber. Now is the time to answer the very personal, very serious, very intimate question: “When do I remove the saber from its scabbard?”

I hear the clank of metal on metal getting closer, but that’s not enough. The politicians have to hear it too. They have to hear it, and they have to believe it.

Come and support me at the Second Amendment March on April 19th on the Washington Monument grounds. Let’s rattle some sabers and show the government we’re still here. We are here, and we are not silent!

Skip Coryell is the founder of the Second Amendment March, a former United States Marine, author and President of White Feather Press.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for that post. So happens me and mine are attending a 2A march at the state capitol here in Montana. The city is Helena, this coming Saturday at high noon. From what I understand it will draw from the whole state as well as surrounding states. And you know the theme! It's not if, it's when!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

VIP Member
    I think this sentiment is beginning to echo down the canyons, byways and fields across this nation. The time may be nearing when push is coming to shove.

If there is to be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    Thomas Paine
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Cultures have histories, and they tend to repeat themselves over time. Our country is one of revolution. Unfortunately, it looks like we are on that road again. In the day of the colonies, it was colony rights vs. the unfair burdens imposed by the crown thru the governors. Before the open shots of the civil war the issue revolved around states rights. The collective southern states were pushed until they broke off from the union.

Fast forward to today. The Federal government has become much larger than ever envisioned by our forefathers. Taxes are at an all time high. Representation, yeah, what representation? The elected ones deem themselves the choosen ones and ignore the will of the people, trample the legislative process, etc. States are beginning to push back, push for increased state rights and a smaller Federal government. Will history repeat itself yet again? I don't know, only time will tell.

I can see this could turn bad, fast. Let's be sure to keep this to SD and 2A related comments, it could be a fun discussion.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    For you, as an individual, when do you draw your saber? When do you say “Yes, I am willing to rise up and overthrow an oppressive, totalitarian government?”
    This sort of topic, to me, reminds me of the thread in the defensive scenarios board where someone mentioned a home invasion by 12 heavily armed and organized attackers.

If a revolution DID start in this county, it would be a bloodbath, and I seriously doubt anything positive would come out of it in the end. The result would probably be a government more oppressive than your wildest imagination, with all pretense of liberty destroyed. Armed revolution is pretty much a no-win scenario.

Think about it: the rebels have what, some AR15s? The government has attack aircraft, spy satellites, nuclear weapons, cruise missiles, tanks, bioweapons........the list goes on. Oh, and they know exactly who you are and who all your family members are.

If you really want to accomplish something, talk to your friends and neighbors about politics and try to convince them to support liberty. Talk about term limits. Talk about voting everyone out. Talk about letting states decide on issues and how that lets everyone get what they want, even if that is not the same thing.

Don't threaten to revolt unless you just want to die, and set society back 300+ years in the process.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    This sort of topic, to me, reminds me of the thread in the defensive scenarios board where someone mentioned a home invasion by 12 heavily armed and organized attackers.

If a revolution DID start in this county, it would be a bloodbath, and I seriously doubt anything positive would come out of it in the end. The result would probably be a government more oppressive than your wildest imagination, with all pretense of liberty destroyed. Armed revolution is pretty much a no-win scenario.

Think about it: the rebels have what, some AR15s? The government has attack aircraft, spy satellites, nuclear weapons, cruise missiles, tanks, bioweapons........the list goes on. Oh, and they know exactly who you are and who all your family members are.

If you really want to accomplish something, talk to your friends and neighbors about politics and try to convince them to support liberty. Talk about term limits. Talk about voting everyone out. Talk about letting states decide on issues and how that lets everyone get what they want, even if that is not the same thing.

Don't threaten to revolt unless you just want to die, and set society back 300+ years in the process.

I do not agree one bit with you.

It is not the military that you have to fear fighting back.

It is gays, baby killers, people scared to go into starbucks for fear of getting shot by a gun, it is politicians.

It is not the wild west anymore where every one is hard core and will shoot first ask questions later.

Most of us "Americans" who know where we stand are in fact way more potent than the government is and I do not fear the military.

People seem to forget they are American's too and hold the same exact values many of conservative America holds!

In addition it would be one heck of a hard for Soldiers to shoot fellow countrymen during a skirmish. Im sure alot would. But generally speaking a TON would defect to the rebellion in order to preserve what the military oppressed in them err the govt.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    As long as a citizen has the right to bear arms, there is only so much abuse that they will take before using them.

That is the very reason that it is such an important right, perhaps more important than most.

Its really not about bearing arms for the defense, its about living with dignity. Living life and knowing that you don't have to kiss the ring of some man that thinks he is more important than you and forces you to bend to his will.

Its about living free from fear of those that would oppress you, because you know and understand that although you may die in the process of defending the right of freedom, that living with out dignity or respect for oneself because you don't have the means to act or the attitude,can be worse than death itself.

It's as much about the attitude, as it is about the right to bear arms. Its not the arms that the politicians, dictators or tyrants fear the most, but the attitudes of those that would use them and refuse to bend a knee to what they know is not right.

There are those that will say that resistance is futile against a powerful government. It has been stated many times throughout history. History wasn't changed by those of that thought process, but it was and continues to be changed by those that refuse to believe it.

Some people are born as warriors. Others are born tyrants and dictators. Most people are just born to exist and be subject the whims and fancies of others.

It has been that way from the beginning and one of the few things about humans that remains constant.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The problem with saber rattling is that you are making yourself a visible target for king's henchmen to come and take your saber away before you can use it against them.

I think it is better to have the saber and training to use it when the time comes and rely on surprise and violence of action to overthrow the king before he realizes that the meek peasants are revolting.

Any saber rattling is only to king's benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by kdydak View Post
    The problem with saber rattling is that you are making yourself a visible target for king's henchmen to come and take your saber away before you can use it against them.

I think it is better to have the saber and training to use it when the time comes and rely on surprise and violence of action to overthrow the king before he realizes that the meek peasants are revolting.

Ineffective saber rattling happens when only a few isolated clanks and rattles are heard. When that happens, the overlords can ignore the sound.

As the noise gets louder as more join in those overlords have 2 choices. Forcibly impose their will upon the people or concede the issues which have caused the people to rise up against the government. The first is what happened last Sunday.

History has shown us that government NEVER admits defeat until it has truly been defeated. And that defeat always comes after the will of the people to resist tyranny has been shown by force.

Luckily, at least in this country up until now, that show of force has been done at the ballot box. Let us hope that this continues to always be the way we do it. Because Thomas Jefferson was right - the pen is mightier than the sword.

Remember to vote in your State primary and be ready in November. And this time it will be our VOTES that will be heard instead of our voices.

Quote Originally Posted by kdydak View Post

When will the time come?

If you sit around and wait for the time to come, and everyone else is doing the same, the time will never come.

A leader is going to open the floodgates and the people would have to amass really fast and create a organized militia of minimum 10,000 folks in less than a week for it to work and it would not want to attract media attention.

But it could be done and I bet it will if this oppressive takeover of freedoms continue!
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post

You may very well be right. Any revolt wouldn't stand much chance against our government. But, the founding patriots didn't have much chance either, and they new it. As an overweight Benjamin Harrison of Virginia told tiny Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts (speaking about being hung for treason) : "With me it will all be over in a minute, but you, you will be dancing on air an hour after I am gone."

Most were under no illusions about their chances: a loosely knit group of squabbling colonies, populated with farmers and mechanics, with no real army to speak of, and no money to raise one, going up against the world's most powerful empire, with an army full of seasoned soldiers and officers? Preposterous! But they did it.

Today, I believe we still have enough liberty left to defend what remains without an armed rebellion. But if we can't wake up ourselves and our fellow citizens now to the growing tyranny, it will be too late.

It may already be too late.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead View Post
    You may very well be right. Any revolt wouldn't stand much chance against our government. But, the founding patriots didn't have much chance either, and they new it. As an overweight Benjamin Harrison of Virginia told tiny Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts (speaking about being hung for treason) : "With me it will all be over in a minute, but you, you will be dancing on air an hour after I am gone."

Most were under no illusions about their chances: a loosely knit group of squabbling colonies, populated with farmers and mechanics, with no real army to speak of, and no money to raise one, going up against the world's most powerful empire, with an army full of seasoned soldiers and officers? Preposterous! But they did it.

Today, I believe we still have enough liberty left to defend what remains without an armed rebellion. But if we can't wake up ourselves and our fellow citizens now to the growing tyranny, it will be too late.

It may already be too late.
    Think about all the American's who still believe in the Constitution that serve in our military.

We are very different than the military of Red Coats from the early Revo years.

Our military would seriously have to be lost in order to shoot on our own countrymen.

Once again please think about this subject with an open mind.

I have often wondered what would happen in a situation like that. I mean, would the military just shoot everyone? It seems like they would have a very difficult decision to make. And what about the police? What would they do?

I think what might be more likely to happen is that individual states and or communities would band together in defiance of the federal government. Then you might have the state national guard, or the local police/militia protecting the rights of the citizens in that community. It is up to our state and local governments to stand firm against federal oppression. As long as you live in a state that will protect your freedom, and has the courage to do this, then it is just a matter of standing firm and saying "no." You don't go into something like this expecting to have a "shoot out." You just refuse to obey unconstitutional edicts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Luckily, at least in this country up until now, that show of force has been done at the ballot box. Let us hope that this continues to always be the way we do it.

Remember to vote in your State primary and be ready in November. And this time it will be our VOTES that will be heard instead of our voices.
    I am all for rattling the ballot box (and I did vote in primary and donated some money where I thought it might do some good). If it works fantastic, but tyrants rarely go quietly into the night and their strategy is long term.

Their current game plan is expand the government (and decrease freedom) at the cost of loosing this election in November. Their bet is that whoever is in charge for the "few years afterward" will not have the stomach/resolve to dismantle what they have built. Then in 4-6 years or so they lie/steal/bribe they way back to power and do the process all over again.

And why not it has worked for them for 70 years. To see how we will look like in 10-20 years, just look over the pond at Europe. They have had "conservative" governments every now and then and it has not arrested their slide into serfdom.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links