Banning Guns from the Kentucky Capitol Building.

This is a discussion on Banning Guns from the Kentucky Capitol Building. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I didn't know that it was even allowed, but apparently, you can have firearms in the Kentucky Capitol Building. Now, they want to put in ...

Thread: Banning Guns from the Kentucky Capitol Building.

I didn't know that it was even allowed, but apparently, you can have firearms in the Kentucky Capitol Building.

Now, they want to put in a "ban" of them after someone came in openly carrying a holstered handgun. Go figure.

Ky. House may vote to ban guns from floor
    March 24, 2010 @ 06:39 PM

The Associated Press

Herald-Dispatch.com

FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — The House is considering barring guns from the floor and gallery.

Brian Wilkerson, spokesman for the House Speaker Greg Stumbo, said lawmakers discussed the issue privately on Wednesday, two days after an unidentified man wore a holstered gun into the chamber.

Wilkerson said lawmakers could vote as early as Thursday on a House rule that would require visitors to check their guns in the speaker’s office.

State Reps. Jim Wayne and Mary Lou Marzian, both Democrats from Lousiville, had asked House leaders earlier this week to ban guns.

Sgt. Brian Evans, head of Capitol security, confirmed Tuesday that a gun-rights advocate openly wore a handgun into the Capitol twice in the past three weeks. Because the state has no prohibition against doing so, Evans said security didn’t stop the man.
    Ky. House may vote to ban guns from floor - The Herald Dispatch
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

The weenies at Texas capitol are not much better

Capitol security changes coming | KXAN.com

Capitol security changes coming
    Preservation Board to decide on metal detectors

Updated: Wednesday, 24 Mar 2010, 4:00 PM CDT
    Published : Monday, 22 Mar 2010, 5:41 PM CDT

* Carla Castańo

AUSTIN (KXAN) - In the coming months, the Texas Preservation Board will approve recommendations that likely will ramp up security at the Capitol, possibly including metal detectors at all entrances to the building.

While the metal detectors are still a question mark, other steps are already being taken in the wake of a foiled shooting attempt at the Capitol earlier this year. A mass notification system for Capitol employees is in the works. Training is underway to add bomb-sniffing dogs around the building, and there are already expanded bike patrols.

Texas Senate and House Administration Committees held a joint session on Capitol security on Monday. This comes after an incident last January involving Fausto Cardenas,24, of Houston. Troopers said he fired several gunshots on the south steps of the Capitol. Cardenas has been charged with deadly conduct and faces up to 10 years in prison.

Following the January shooting, all members of the House and Senate Administration Committees agreed Capitol security, handled by the Department of Public Safety, needed to be tightened. Lawmakers are remaining tight-lipped about what exactly they heard during the closed-door meeting.

"We’re not going to talk about any of their recommendations,” said Senator Tommy Williams, Chair of the Senate Administration Committee.

The major point of disagreement on Capitol security is whether or not metal detectors should go in at the entrances.

“I don't think it would have done a thing at all to stop the incident that happened a couple months ago I do think there are some logistical issues,” said Rep. Charlie Geren, Chair of the House Adminstration Committee.

Meanwhile, there are others like Senator John Whitmire, a Democrat from Houston, who feels strongly the detectors should and will go in.

"We're going to make it secure,” Whitmire said. “We’re going to use metal detectors. The question is, do we do it before we have a tragedy or do wait and do it after a tragedy? I would hope smart people would do it ahead of time."

However, some are concerned about adding metal detectors to the entrances of the Capitol will prevent people from coming to the building.

“I want to see to make sure the people of Texas have the freedom to go through the Capitol here without searching,” said Rep. Hubert Vo of West Houston.

Ultimately, the six members of the Texas State Preservation Board will make the decision but that meeting has not yet been scheduled.

I believe in freedom, but many people will hurt our cause by doing inappropriate things like this just to exercise their rights. We have to conduct ourselves in a more intelligent way. There are Many people in this country who are undecided about gun rights issues and this is not the way to convince them we are all not a bunch of over zealot nut jobs. Considering the political climate of the day, that was just stupid! What was he attempting to accomplish?

Sponsored Links