Road rage & Townsend propaganda

Road rage & Townsend propaganda

This is a discussion on Road rage & Townsend propaganda within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 95 incident state's second involving guns this month | InsideNova.com 95 incident state’s second involving guns this month By Uriah A. Kiser Published: March 24, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

Thumbs down Road rage & Townsend propaganda

95 incident state's second involving guns this month | InsideNova.com

95 incident state’s second involving guns this month
    By Uriah A. Kiser
    Published: March 24, 2010
    Updated: March 24, 2010

Update 11 p.m. Wednesday: Both drivers arrested on attempted murder charges. Click Dump truck driver arrested in 95 road rage incident | InsideNova.com to read more.

WOODBRIDGE, Va.—Firing a gun in the middle of a busy roadway has happened twice in Virginia in the last few weeks.

That method of dealing with road rage landed a 25-year-old Woodbridge man in jail without bond Tuesday. State police say Gabriel Poventud fired 13 shots at a dump truck on Interstate 95 south during evening rush hour Tuesday.

On March 15, a 69-year-old man driving on a neighborhood street in Pittsylvania County, near North Carolina border, rammed his car into another vehicle four times and then got out and fired a gun in the air before speeding off.

Tuesday’s road rage incident on I-95 began near Va. 123, as a dump truck driver tried to merge from the express lanes onto the main lines. The truck driver twice struck a 2004 Jaguar sedan in his way, sparking a highway fight.

After fighting for position, the truck and sedan ended up pinned together against a Jersey wall near Va. 234.

State police said Poventud then got out of his Jaguar, brandished a handgun and fired 13 shots at the dump truck, striking it four times. His 2-year-old daughter was in the car at the time.

No one was injured.

Drivers on the heavily congested interstate watched in shock.

“I was right behind the shooter’s car, and that dump truck rammed the Jaguar on purpose. And then, when he backed up and the two interlocked their fenders, the dump truck again rammed that Jaguar, on the driver’s side on purpose,” said motorist Jim Leavells, who was behind the Jaguar.

Gunfire is not common on area roads, but weapons have been used in 37 percent of all reported cases of road rage in the U.S., according to AAA Mid-Atlantic.

“More than 1,500 people are killed or injured in road rage incidents each year in this country and when you add a gun to the mix the situation is more likely to spiral out of control,” said AAA John B. Townsend II. “Gun-toting drivers are more likely to become involved in road rage incidents, study after study has confirmed.”
    Studies have shown that young men, and young adults overall, have admitted to making obscene gestures, cursing or blatantly shouting at other drivers while they were carrying a handgun, said Townsend. He quoted a 2006 Harvard study of 2,400 drivers, which showed motorists who carry guns inside their car are more likely to engage in road rage.

Both Poventud and the dump truck driver – 44-year-old James Bringham of Woodbridge – face charges stemming from Tuesday’s road rage incident.

Poventud is charged with child endangerment, attempted homicide, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, shooting a missile into an occupied vehicle and reckless use of a firearm, state police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said.. Bingham is charged with reckless driving.

State officials urge drivers to stay calm behind the wheel, to ignore eye contact or rude gestures and not to return them if they are displayed by another driver.

Drivers should also avoid blocking the passing lane. If going slower than other drivers, get out of the left lane, said Geller.

Staff writer Uriah A. Kiser can be reached at 703-878-8065.
    [emphasis added see NRA comments below]
    Update:

Local Dump truck driver arrested in 95 road rage incident

By Kari Pugh
    Published: March 24, 2010
    Updated: March 25, 2010

Both drivers accused in an Interstate 95 road rage incident involving gunfire now face attempted murder charges.

Troopers late Wednesday arrested James A. Bringham, 44, of Woodbridge, on a charge of second-degree attempted murder and felony hit-and-run, state police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said.

Police say Bringham twice rammed a 2004 Jaguar driven by a Woodbridge man as he tried to merge from the express lanes onto southbound Interstate 95 near Va. 123 about 4 p.m. Tuesday. Both men then drove aggressively for miles, state police said. Near Va. 234, the dump truck pinned the Jaguar against a Jersey wall. That’s when the Jaguar’s driver got out with a handgun and fired 13 shots at the dump truck, state police say. The two men then pulled out into heavy traffic again before state police stopped them a few minutes later.

The Jaguar driver, Gabriel Poventud, 25, of Woodbridge, was arrested at the scene, Geller said. His 2-year-old daughter was in the car at the time. Poventud was charged with child endangerment, attempted homicide, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, shooting a missile into an occupied vehicle and reckless use of a firearm, Geller said.

Bringham was charged at the scene with reckless driving. After further investigation, he was charged late Wednesday with attempted murder, Geller said.

NRA-ILA has this to say:

"Does Anti-Gun Researcher David Hemenway Have Something To Hide?"
    NRA-ILA :: Does Anti-Gun Researcher David Hemenway Have Something To Hide?

[SNIP]
    It is common practice among legitimate researchers to give their peers access to data used in their studies, so that other researchers can review both the data and the methodology used in their analysis.

Recently, prolific anti-gun researcher David Hemenway, of Harvard University's Injury Control Research Center, released an article on a survey he and colleagues conducted, hoping to undermine laws respecting the right of people to carry firearms for protection. Their theory was that there would be a correlation between "road rage" incidents (including situations in which a rude hand gesture was made) and the presence of a gun in an automobile.

Among the survey's obvious flaws, it did not ask people whether they had ever used or observed a gun (as perpetrator, witness or victim) in any such incident. Instead, it asked people whether they had ever been involved in such an incident and, separately, whether they had at any time ridden in a vehicle in which a gun was present. Thus, it did not determine whether there were guns in any vehicles involved at the time of such incidents, let alone whether guns were brandished or used.

John Lott, Research Fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, and Michael Brown, of Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws, took a quick look at Hemenway's article and humorously observed that it showed that "liberals are much more likely to engage in road rage (both making obscene gestures and driving aggressively) than conservatives." To thoroughly evaluate the survey, Lott has since asked Hemenway to share his data, but, he says, "Hemenway is not responding."
    See:
    John Lott's Website: Hemenway and Co-authors Refuse to Provided Data Set From 1999

Also, of the three studies shown on AAA site this is the only reference I can find.

You will notice that firearms or guns is NOT singled out for a count - they are collectively grouped with other weapons.

Weapons Used by Aggressive Drivers

In approximately 4,400 of the 10,037 known aggressive driving incidents, the perpetrator used a firearm, knife, club, fist, feet or other standard weapon for the attack. In approximately 2,300 cases the aggressive driver used an even more powerful weapon -- his or her own vehicle. And in approximately 1,250 cases the aggressive driver used his or her own vehicle and a standard weapon like a gun, knife, or club.
    AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety - Resources

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Yep, two more lobobomized nutcases played the silly road rage game and both lost. The truck driver will lose his job unless he is self employed. He will spend some time in jail or prison. The Jag driver will go to prison for a few years: The child endangerment charge is a biggie.

It takes two to play the silly road rage game. If one refuses to play there is no road rage incident.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I've been peeved off on the road before but never have I thought about shooting anyone. Us as gun owners have to do better
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    Yep, two more lobobomized nutcases played the silly road rage game and both lost. The truck driver will lose his job unless he is self employed. He will spend some time in jail or prison. The Jag driver will go to prison for a few years: The child endangerment charge is a biggie.

It takes two to play the silly road rage game. If one refuses to play there is no road rage incident.
    Although I know what you mean, sometimes the 'crazies' want to run you off the road when you ingore them...

The above examples are of individuals who have no business having a gun or a vehicle...sounds like jail time to me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It looks like some people don't use common sense when they drive. What a shame this happened. Two lives are now ruined because two grown men could not control them selves.I used to live in Woodbridge. on route 123.

If the guy is ramming him with a dump truck, has child in his car, I'ld think he has a good self-defense argument.

When I heard this news story, I was not even remotely surprised that it had happened, and more so I was very concerned that it is a clue that if I am ever forced to defend myself from one of these nut-job drivers, I will be prosecuted more vigorously than they are.

I've commuted in that exact area, and throughout NOVA, for years. I have come very close to having to defend myself from crazed drivers numerous times. Although I have never displayed a weapon, and avoid even the vague perception of doing so at great length, I have had one more readily available for use than usual on a fairly regular basis.

At least a dozen times I've had people come out of their cars, after stopping with their car blocking me in, and approach my car while screaming and waving. This happened once on the actual interstate, after the offender stopped directly next to a parked State Trooper (who didn't even look up, despite being outside of his vehicle). Usually the movement of my arm towards the console or my belt convinces them to desist and move along, but I have frequently been concerned that I might have to defend myself or those in the car with me. Because of this, and training, I am constantly looking for ways to drive around people near me, just in case one of them decides to become unreasonable. Honestly, its just tiring to drive this way.

At the risk of sounding socially insensitive, the fact that this happened at one of the major merging points is actually kind of gratifying, as I have observed the inability of people to either merge or yield to merging traffic (in addition to unyielding, under-speed traffic in the left lane) as the main cause of both severely agitated drivers and much of the gross congestion that the DC area is plagued with. I can only hope that there is a silver lining and this will cause people to become more cautious, if not respectful and considerate, in the future as they move on and off of the interstate.

Looks possible that the shooter was reasonable. I hope that more investigation happens.

How do you miss a dump truck attached to your car 9 out of 13 times?

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    How do you miss a dump truck attached to your car 9 out of 13 times?
    Good point
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I know the circumstances might be a little different, but while an LEO on duty, I have had my car rammed on purpose, and they got shot at, were apprehended and charged.

VIP Member

Interesting replies, so far.

When I posted the OP, I was about equally by another dumb shooting and about the anti-RKBA press coverage & John Townsend lies.

So far all the replies have focused on the dumb shooting.

Hum!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

"After fighting for position, the truck and sedan ended up pinned together against a Jersey wall near Va. 234.
    State police said Poventud then got out of his Jaguar, brandished a handgun and fired 13 shots at the dump truck, striking it four times. His 2-year-old daughter was in the car at the time.

No one was injured"

If they were pinned against a wall, how to you only hit a target as large as a dump truck 4 out of 13 shots? Must have been in a rage and out of control. I wasnt there. The nation is mad and I'm staying home. I drive slow and try and stay out of the fast lane.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    LEOs shoot at cars all the time and it's considered justified. Of course it seems the act was over before this guy started shooting, but I wasn't there.

I bet he is the next poster boy for the Bradys' criminal permit show.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Dump trucks always have the right of way. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links