US District Court upholds several DC gun laws - Page 2

US District Court upholds several DC gun laws

This is a discussion on US District Court upholds several DC gun laws within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If they were to ever take our weapons, which they wont, I would just become a criminal and just sell drugs to make a living ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US District Court upholds several DC gun laws

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    If they were to ever take our weapons, which they wont, I would just become a criminal and just sell drugs to make a living at that point.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003
    And he was wrong. Or, at least only partially correct.

"Doomsday" is the operative word. Fact is, when doom comes knocking, you'd better be capable of defending against it. While the naive see only one dimension of the 2A, "doom" comes in many forms. On a DAILY basis, as we all know from the news in our own home towns, it comes in the guise of: home invasions; strong-arm robberies; rapes; kidnapping; armed robbery; murder.

The good Mr. Kozinski may well have served on a court, but he was apparently a narrow-minded judge of humanity where the criminal element is concerned.

He was correct about one thing, though: you only get one shot at it. Best make it count.

The best way I know of, when all the lights are out but one? A firearm, competently used.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    Sorry Gun Bunny, but in lawyer speak anything can mean anything. It just depends upon what their agenda is at the time. Oh, and did I mention that many, if not most, politicians were lawyers.
    Oh I know!

But he was saying that none rulings really reflect the Constitution, or the meaning of the document, just that once a ruling is made, it can have a snowball effect.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I don't know, is it me? Am I miss reading it? But is this not part of the second Amendment?

Seems like infringement to me.
    You're misreading it. You should of read it as

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    You're misreading it. You should of read it as

I was just focusing on the infringement part. As in the government always infringes on everything that is written in the Constitution.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

It's a shame. In the seat of our government citizens can't practice their God-given right guaranteed by the Constitution to keep and bear arms. One would hope that all of our rights would be upheld, especially in our nation's capital.

Does Anybody Know Where the Ruling is Posted?

I would like to read the whole thing. I am wondering about the Edward Raymond part of the decision:

Gunning for the District editorial - WaPo 14 August 2009

My name is Edward Raymond and I am one of the plaintiffs in this case. I am a Democrat, African-American male 3rd year law student who, after being profiled by the Metropolitan Police Department and arrested for having my legally registered firearm in my vehicle, is now an activist in the fight to protect fundamental rights clearly protected by the U.S. Constitution. As a concealed carry permit holder in the adjacent jurisdictions and inadvertently entering less than a mile in to the District, I find it unreasonable for my $50k+ vehicle to be confiscated (DC ultimately lost its forfeiture claim 2 years later) merely because the rogue government of the District chooses to restrict my right to self-preservation. People ask why someone as smart as myself had the need to carry a firearm and chose to enter the District. First, I was not in law school at the time. Second, I am a business owner who made large cash deposits and required protection, hence the business purpose permit granted by State Police of MD. I was following my GPS in my vehicle and with the shortest route including a DC street, it took me on New Hampshire Ave. This would, in my opinion, provide the basis for the District to honor the 2nd Amendment granted to all citizens of the US and no prosecute law-abiding citizens for exercising their fundamental fight. The 2nd Amendment during the time of its drafting did not intend the Amendment to be enforced differently among the various jurisdictions purely on the prerogative of the local executives. Other jurisdictions have carry laws. Why wouldn't all of the calamity that will occur as predicted by the Post and other anti-gun critics, have already happen in those jurisdictions already abiding by the 2nd Amendment?? These places also accommodate federal buildings, Congressmen and Senators without regular assassination attempts or Wild Wild West shootouts!! edwardra@hotmail.com
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links