Nullification: Twenty-five States With Firearms Freedom Acts

This is a discussion on Nullification: Twenty-five States With Firearms Freedom Acts within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tired of a Congress that continually ignores the Constitution and its principles of limited government, coupled with non-responsive representation in that body, activists are taking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tired of a Congress that continually ignores the Constitution and its principles of limited government, coupled with non-responsive representation in that body, activists are taking their freedom fight to their state legislatures. They have found sympathetic ears and pro-active representation at a level a bit closer to home with the principle of nullification.

Exactly half of the state legislatures of these United States of America are engaged in nullifying, or have passed, nullification laws that restrict the authority of the federal government in the area of gun control. Entitled Firearms Freedom Acts and closely modeled on the Montana Firearms Freedom Act, these legislatures are trying to stop the overreach of the federal government by simply ignoring the government’s false claim to regulation under the Commerce Clause in Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution and declaring the state’s authority over firearms, accessories and ammunition under the Tenth Amendment of the Constitution. It is a sign of the times and a return to state sovereignty in opposition to the continued expansion of government.

Six states have achieved their legislative firearms freedom goals: Montana, Tennessee, Wyoming, Utah, South Dakota and Oklahoma have all passed the legislation.

So far Wyoming’s FFA and New Hampshire’s FFA are the only ones with a little bite to them, as those bills contain fines and jail time for state or federal officials who attempt to enforce federal gun control laws in their states. Virginia was poised to be another state that would have its FFA passed and signed into law. Its House had already passed its FFA; however, after some dirty tricks and rule-breaking in the Virginia State Senate, it will take the courage of at least one state senator to use a rare floor procedure to get Virginia’s HB 69 back on the floor for a recorded vote. Otherwise, Virginia will be back to square one. Residents of Virginia can click here to contact your state senators in support of HB 69.

That leaves 19 states that have introduced similar legislation. Some of the newly introduced legislation is clearly stalled in state house or senate committees, often the Judiciary committee. There needs to be a caution inserted at this point: everyone understands this is an election year in a particularly turbulent and contentious political climate, so there may be those state legislators who will be pandering to the conservative or tea party movement, or simply grandstanding, by helping to introduce or sponsor FFAs because public opinion is very much in favor of less gun control.

Some politicians have gone so far as to say any type of nullification legislation at the state level is merely symbolic. Some see it as being defiant or rebellious, useful only for sending a message to those in power to sit up and take notice. And then there are those who call the measures pointless. Rep. Chris Hart, D-Columbia, in the South Carolina state legislature sees it as secessionist in nature. Commenting on his state’s call to restore the proper balance to the federal system Hart said, “We’re talking about seceding from the union. I thought we tried that.”

Of course, asserting state sovereignty is nothing of the sort. But pushing back against the federal government’s tyrannical tactics is now being labeled as secessionist. There is no one who would want a return to a bloody civil war, but liberals and leftists are prone to labeling Tenthers (those who support the movement among state legislatures to affirm the retention by the states of "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution" as stated in the Tenth Amendment) as secessionists in order to bring to mind the horrors of civil war thereby discrediting the so-called “right wing extremists,” “alarmists,” and “nut cases” who would return to a more constitutionally correct practice of government.

For your perusal we present the 19 states who have introduced, but not yet passed, FFA legislation with links to the bills at each state legislative website. If your state is on the list, click on your state's name to contact your state legislators about the measure, urging them to support it, and get it moving toward passage. Remember it’s an election year and those at the state level have both ears to the ground as they never have had before. If your state is not one of the 19, you can still contact your state reps who you may already be on a first-name basis with, and insist that they introduce similar legislation, using any of a number of state bills as a model; it’s quick and easy, and would prove they support constitutional principles at both the state and federal levels.

Here are the 19 in alphabetical order (see next paragraph) but there are unique circumstances for some of them. For instance, some have the same bill number for both house and senate, some different numbered bills. Indiana has three identical bills; Hoosiers will have to sort that one out. Same for New Hampshire with two identical bills. Click on your state's name to contact your state legislators in support of already-introduced FFA legislation.

Alabama HB48; Alaska HB 186; Arizona HB2307 passed in the House, SB1098 not yet moving in the Senate; Colorado SB 10-092; Florida HB 21 out of committee, SB 98 in committee; Idaho HB 589 passed in the House only; Indiana Senate Bill 0200, Senate Bill 0276, Senate Bill 0416; Kansas HB 2620; Kentucky HB 87 (BR348); Michigan House Bill 5232; Minnesota HF 2376 stalled, SF 2140 also stalled; Missouri HB 1230; New Hampshire HB1285; HB 1433; Ohio House Bill 315; Pennsylvania HB 1988 stalled in committee; South Carolina S. 794 stalled in committee; Texas HB 1863, the state legislature is not in session in even-numbered years; Washington HB 2709; and West Virginia SB 555.

[LINK]

This is good news.

Delaware is also has a bill going through to nullify the newly passed Health Care Bill. If passed the National Government will not be able to penalize any Delaware citizen who decides not to take part in the new Federal health care program.

Many of the States are starting to feel very uncomfortable about many of the new National Policies and the way we are presently headed.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I still think the state level will be our last hope at trimming back the federal government and it's over reaching laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I still think the state level will be our last hope at trimming back the federal government and it's over reaching laws.
    I concur. The fed has become a leviathan, the only hope for re-establishing the proper role of government is at the state and local level.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Yay, MI is trying, but too bad no jail time penalties in there for Fed officials trying to enforce the laws we are trying to declare unlawful with the act.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I have no idea what GA is doing about this? Anyone else know?
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Yay, MI is trying, but too bad no jail time penalties in there for Fed officials trying to enforce the laws we are trying to declare unlawful with the act.
    The aftermath of Ruby Ridge will show the futility of such a law.

Particularly when they tried to have the man who killed Mrs. Weaver against the rules of engagement brought in on charges. Feds stepped in and said sorry.

Talking about the penalties issue, the overall law I believe is sound.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

AZ just passed

HB 2307, the Firearms Freedom Act. HB 2307 exempts from
    federal law or regulation firearms manufactured and sold in Arizona as
    long as they remain in Arizona. This bill sets the stage for some
    interesting court action. HB 2307 is the latest in a multi-state
    challenge to federal authority to regulate firearms. Arizona just
    became the sixth state to pass a Firearms Freedom Act. About 20 other
    states have introduced similar legislation.

Bills signed by the Governor become effective 90 days after "Sine
    Die," when the Legislature officially adjourns. In past years, the
    effective date of new laws has been in September.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I'm glad the sates are fighting back and pushing for less government power, but who will push against the overreaching state governments next? You don't think they are just trying to stop the National level from getting power do you? They want if for themselves.
    Walk softly ...

Much easier for the people in a state to control what their state does, than on a federal level.

For example how much do you think the Feds really worry about ticking off North Dakota with anything they don't like?
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

The Dem's here are definitely out-numbered, but we have a Dem. Governor that is against guns... so they feel they have a sympathetic ear. Not all, but some of them are fighting tooth and nail over every gun or healthcare related bill to reassert State's rights.

We now know who needs to be voted out of office in Nov too.

Passed in Idaho.

From Representative Marc Gibbs on 4/5/10:

HB589 was also a very important bill that passed this session. This bill is known as the Idaho Freedom Firearms Act, and provides for prohibitions or exemptions on certain firearms or accessories manufactured in Idaho by the federal government. I was a co-sponsor of this piece of legislation, and it passed the House 52-17-1 and passed the Senate 27-7-1 and then was sent back to the House with amendments and passed 53-15-2.
    NRA Life Member

Sounds good. but time for a reality check. It only covers weapons made and sold within the state. I carry S&W (Built in CT ) and Glock (built in GA) so Tennessee has no control over restrictions on those two. Only gun that I know of that is built completely in TN is the Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle. I really have a devil of time fitting that one into a pocket holster for my Haggars! The several AR ( not a real pocket gun either) builders all use assemblies from out of state so they also are still under Federal restriction. The legislation was just a political move for the pro gun members of the assembly to get some votes.

I'm not trying to throw cold water on folks' aspirations here but we need to concentrate on some real legislation that will shore up our right to bear arms instead of political gimmickry like this.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    This is good news.

Delaware is also has a bill going through to nullify the newly passed Health Care Bill. If passed the National Government will not be able to penalize any Delaware citizen who decides not to take part in the new Federal health care program.

Many of the States are starting to feel very uncomfortable about many of the new National Policies and the way we are presently headed.
    I guess Biden will have to find a new state for residence.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Sounds good. but time for a reality check. It only covers weapons made and sold within the state. I carry S&W (Built in CT ) and Glock (built in GA) so Tennessee has no control over restrictions on those two. Only gun that I know of that is built completely in TN is the Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle. I really have a devil of time fitting that one into a pocket holster for my Haggars! The several AR ( not a real pocket gun either) builders all use assemblies from out of state so they also are still under Federal restriction. The legislation was just a political move for the pro gun members of the assembly to get some votes.

I'm not trying to throw cold water on folks' aspirations here but we need to concentrate on some real legislation that will shore up our right to bear arms instead of political gimmickry like this.
    Except under this law what would stop a company from opening shop in any of these states that have passed this law?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links