Kansas Congress considers CC on campus

Kansas Congress considers CC on campus

This is a discussion on Kansas Congress considers CC on campus within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Kansas house just passed a law for CC on campus. House approves concealed carry on campus | KTKA.com The governor is democrat, so I'm ...

Thread: Kansas Congress considers CC on campus

Post Kansas Congress considers CC on campus

The Kansas house just passed a law for CC on campus.

House approves concealed carry on campus | KTKA.com

The governor is democrat, so I'm not sure it would become law.

While I support CC on state university campuses, I wonder about this bill. It's sort of a round-about way of making them legal. This law basically says that unless there are security measures such as metal detectors, the state building must allow CCW. Well, I personally don't consider a metal detector to be that much of a protection. I consider security to be a protection. So should a state building (like the capitol building) be required to allow CCW even if they have plenty of plain clothes security? I'm just not sure this bill is doing it the right way. What do you all think?
    Last edited by 9mm Lassiter; April 8th, 2010 at 05:15 PM.
    On duty: Glock 21 SF (.45) w/ Safariland Cobra Tactical holster & Remington Hallow-points
    CCW: Glock 19 Gen 3 (9mm) w/ Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster
    Magtech Hollow-points

I'm hopeful that it passes, but with all the colleges whining about expense of paying a rent-a-cop to wand everyone and the fear that every law abiding citizen with a permit is just looking for a reason to start spraying lead I fear it may not pass.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

At least they are thinking in the right direction!

You can see various bills and progress if you are interested at the KSCCW site

Bottom line... they are saying with HB2685 that either people should have a right to protect themselves and if the State denies that by posting no CC signs, then they should provide the means and security, etc to protect them while they are there.

Universities are screaming because they would have to provide security for EVERY building on campus if it's passed.... thus, really approving CC in buildings that aren't "protected".

Here's the link / disccusion on HB2685 ;
    http://www.ksccw.com/showthread.php?...highlight=2685

This bill basically requires that if any state or municipality facilities that post NO CCH signs that they must provide "adequate" security and ensure that NO guns are allowed on the premises. Adequate is defined as, minimally, metal detectors, electronic detection and wands and security personnel. Also mandates that no state agency can prohibit their employees from carrying unless adequate security measures are provided as well.

Wow, the whole time I was in law school I thought that the no guns signs on the doors where adequate protection. If no one is allowed to have guns in there then we don't have to worry, a V. Tech style deal could never happen cause no guns are allowed on campus. lol jking of course.

The idiocy of this whole thing is the idea behind the no guns policy which is a belief that even though I am a licensed carrier of a firearm and have been for 16 yrs, and can carry anywhere else in 30 some states, something suddenly occurs when I cross the property line of the campus that makes me a danger to society. What a bunch of imaginary BS.

I was in law school when the V tech thing happened and several former servicemen and women, current national guard troops, and former police were in our class. Most, except for the far left anti wack jobs, would have felt much better knowing that a few of us in the class were armed and ready to deal with a threat if necessary. However, we were not allowed to do so. Thus myself and a couple of ex-cops and Army guys had an agreement to go down fighting if anything like that ever happened. We refused to kneel down and line up against the wall waiting to be shot while our classmates died. Thank God we never had to implement our plan to protect others and ourselves.

I'm soooo glad to be done with college and law school. Of course, when I go to the courthouse, no gun, but otherwise I can carry on a regular basis again.

Oh yeah, I forgot, we need to get them to get rid of the ban on church carry too. Churches are the second most likely place to get shot, just behind campuses. Yet we are "not supposed to" carry there? What a crock of ****.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Wow, the whole time I was in law school I thought that the no guns signs on the doors where adequate protection. If no one is allowed to have guns in there then we don't have to worry, a V. Tech style deal could never happen cause no guns are allowed on campus. lol jking of course.

The idiocy of this whole thing is the idea behind the no guns policy which is a belief that even though I am a licensed carrier of a firearm and have been for 16 yrs, and can carry anywhere else in 30 some states, something suddenly occurs when I cross the property line of the campus that makes me a danger to society. What a bunch of imaginary BS.

I was in law school when the V tech thing happened and several former servicemen and women, current national guard troops, and former police were in our class. Most, except for the far left anti wack jobs, would have felt much better knowing that a few of us in the class were armed and ready to deal with a threat if necessary. However, we were not allowed to do so. Thus myself and a couple of ex-cops and Army guys had an agreement to go down fighting if anything like that ever happened. We refused to kneel down and line up against the wall waiting to be shot while our classmates died. Thank God we never had to implement our plan to protect others and ourselves.

I'm soooo glad to be done with college and law school. Of course, when I go to the courthouse, no gun, but otherwise I can carry on a regular basis again.

Oh yeah, I forgot, we need to get them to get rid of the ban on church carry too. Churches are the second most likely place to get shot, just behind campuses. Yet we are "not supposed to" carry there? What a crock of ****.
    No no no, that's not the point! Don't you know that safety and self defense have nothing to do with the intellectuals objections to guns? Guns offend their high ideas of scholarly thought. To them we are all just a bunch of knuckle dragging apes.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I am 100% for CCing/OCing on college campuses. People use "drunk college frat boy" images to try to sway public image, but I can say that I've seen first-hand that those frat boys will carry if they want to anyway.

Rape, murder, assault, robbery... these things exist on college campuses whether we like it or not.

I personally believe that if someone was armed during Columbine, Virginia Tech, or other school shootings, that many lives might have been saved.

9MM jump over to the ksccw.com link and check the discussion. The law requires adaquite, security measures including metal detector and armed security. If those aren't in place then CCW is allowed, if there are then no CCW allowed. It's an interesting bill and perhaps the only one that doesn't have a veto proof majority.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Just looked. Thanks. We'll see what happens.

I wrote my senator saying that I support CC on campus. I respectfully addressed some of the understandable fears concerning this bill. And yes, I believe they're understandable. I never grew up with guns and was very afraid of them as a child and young man, but I started learning about them after I realized I might come across one someday, and I wanted to know how to disarm it, etc.
    On duty: Glock 21 SF (.45) w/ Safariland Cobra Tactical holster & Remington Hallow-points
    Magtech Hollow-points

yeah, right.....

Gov says no way he'll sign. (SEE VIDEO)

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mm Lassiter View Post
    I consider security to be a protection.
    9mm I know what you meant however ..

I dont understand how some FAT nasty out of shape, big mac special sauce drip on shirt, cant run more than 50 yards, cigarette smoking, ice cream with a diet coke drinking, 1 hour of security training local temp hire college guard can compare with my 10 years Military service (and many others here and there), 4 deployments to the sand box, 2 or 3 more mini deps, enormous amounts of hours of training, hostile fire situations, CQB, hand to hand, long range, tactical radio communications, deep cover ops, high speed low drag kV jetboat insertion, DEST, SERE, etc... and my 1911 trumps this so called campus security.

Why dont they let us defend our selves legally?

Im going back in the Navy, this time as a Pilot. Im bored. I wanna play with WAY bigger guns. Maybe I could fly a blackhawk haha. Im getting too old I better hurry before the cut off. (What the heck did that have to do with campus cc in kansas haha)
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Tangoseal,

Naturally anyone with as much service time as you will be more qualified than the average security guard (especially in mental training which I think most people forget). But as a courtesy to my campus police, they are all regular police officers and not just temp guards. Still, there's only so many.

My point was that I would want guns to protect against guns and not just a device that tells you the gun is there. If they won't provide reasonable protection, then they should enable the citizen. Let's say I'm at a press conference with the president. I've got plenty of confidence in the secret service to prevent a guy from bringing in a deadly weapon (though maybe not a shoe haha). Your average campus security? Not quite so much.
    Magtech Hollow-points

Links