From the Bangor Daily: Residents raise the issue of need vs. constitutional rights

This is a discussion on From the Bangor Daily: Residents raise the issue of need vs. constitutional rights within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Residents raise the issue of need vs. constitutional rights - Bangor Daily News Seems I'm a little nuts....

Thread: From the Bangor Daily: Residents raise the issue of need vs. constitutional rights

Post From the Bangor Daily: Residents raise the issue of need vs. constitutional rights

2. Remove Ads

“To insist on the right to carry weapons in Acadia National Park makes all gun owners look a little nuts,” said Franklin, who is president of the board of directors for Maine Citizens Against Handgun Violence. “Acadia is the last place people should need a concealed weapon. I like to distance myself from that kind of talk about guns.”

Franklin, a longtime hunter, said he has never had any interest in owning a handgun or obtaining a concealed firearm permit. For him and thousands of other Mainers, firearms are for a form of peaceful outdoor recreation that dates back centuries, not for use against another person.

“I’m concerned about the bad image that gun owners are getting because of extreme claims by other gun owners,” he said. “I see the rights of legitimate gun owners being really jeopardized.”
    Apparently, nutty gun owners who understand that 2A ain't about hunting, somehow jeopardize the rights of 'legitimate' gun owners.

I don't get how tradition and hunting are legit, but self defense is not.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

“When I first arrived here I took a pretty hard line on the issuance of these permits,” he said. “In places like New York and Los Angeles, it’s certainly almost an act of Congress to offer a permit to a community member. After a good wise counsel I realized that this was not California so I quickly rethought my position.”

I'm curious what the difference is? I guess you give up your right to self defense and are completely irresponsible if you are from LA or NY? Or maybe he's the one that was wrong! What a goof. So you choose to NOT issue to law abiding folks in a high crime area and then magically change your mind when you move to the low crime state? The ridiculousness of that thought process is amazing.

And to add, I carried in a Nat Park today and I did not hurt anyone. And my wife actually mentioned she would have liked to have had a pistol when I left to do some fishing. Next time we may both be armed, and I bet no one gets hurt then either. Go figure.
    Last edited by chiefjason; April 11th, 2010 at 01:44 AM. Reason: add
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    ...Acadia is the last place people should need a concealed weapon...
    I almost agree with that statement. One should not "need" a to go around anywhere, but we do.

Incidentally, the "last" place I should need a concealed weapon is in my home. Yes, I know that's semantics.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    I almost agree with that statement. One should not "need" a to go around anywhere, but we do.

Incidentally, the "last" place I should need a concealed weapon is in my home. Yes, I know that's semantics.
    Amen to that. The last place is always the first place.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

"To insist on the right to carry weapons in Acadia National Park makes all gun owners look a little nuts,” said Franklin, who is president of the board of directors for Maine Citizens Against Handgun Violence. “Acadia is the last place people should need a concealed weapon. I like to distance myself from that kind of talk about guns.”

Franklin, a longtime hunter, said he has never had any interest in owning a handgun or obtaining a concealed firearm permit. For him and thousands of other Mainers, firearms are for a form of peaceful outdoor recreation that dates back centuries, not for use against another person.

“I’m concerned about the bad image that gun owners are getting because of extreme claims by other gun owners,” he said. “I see the rights of legitimate gun owners being really jeopardized.”

I wonder if this guy has a spare tire in his car or a smoke detector in his home.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Well, next time he's out in the park with his family and he is met by someone who wishes to do evil to them, I hope his shotgun (for hunting purposes only and safely stored at his home) will do him a lot of good.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Apparently, nutty gun owners who understand that 2A ain't about hunting, somehow jeopardize the rights of 'legitimate' gun owners.

I don't get how tradition and hunting are legit, but self defense is not.
    Agreed. People tend to forget why we needed the Second Amendment in the first place.

EDIT: Shameless plug, my blog link down there links directly to my post on the 2A.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Some people were taught and bought into that guns at the time were for hunting......... which is quite wrong.

Ask my about 8th grandfather, when the English troops stopped at his house on the edge of town, went inside his house even tho he protested adamantly and began taking anything they wanted. When they began to rape his wife and daughter, he was going to fight.... and received about 20 rounds (in the back) from the troops there. Ask the village, when they went into a rage about it and all armed themselves and threatened to shoot any English soldier who came there.... if they were planning a hunting trip.

are these the same folks in maine who feel that gender specific bathrooms are offensive?

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    How naive can they get. The comment about having armed police protection in places where carrying is not permitted like circuses is just plain foolish. How about all the school shootings? Where were all the armed police? How about the shootings on the military base? Soldiers are supposed to have guns and they didn't. What are all the supposedly intelligent people thinking? They'd be better off not going to the state park and watching the nightly news and reading the crime reports. It makes me sick that they let people walk around who actually think more restrictive gun laws will get the guns away from criminals.

Residents raise the issue of need vs. constitutional rights
    Sadly even many people who should know the dangers justify unconstitutional acts by claiming the something needs to be done. Ask most people where in the Constitution the federal government gets the power to regulate machine guns and most will refuse to give an answer. They will only ask you if we should allow just any crazy to own a machine gun?

We have people who are willing to allow strangers in their neighborhoods to be stopped and searched out of the felt necessity of their personal security. To many of us are willing to look the other way if we feel the need is great enough. After all why should we be forced to wait on a law to be passed. Lets go ahead and act now and change the laws later when we get time.

Michael

Links