Constitutional Carry is signed in AZ!!

This is a discussion on Constitutional Carry is signed in AZ!! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This was just posted on Governor Jan Brewer's Facebook page: Today I signed Senate Bill 1108, the constitutional carry bill. I believe this legislation not ...

Thread: Constitutional Carry is signed in AZ!!

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar

This was just posted on Governor Jan Brewer's Facebook page:
    Today I signed Senate Bill 1108, the constitutional carry bill. I believe this legislation not only protects the Second Amendment rights of Arizona citizens, but restores those rights as well. I am joined in support of this legislation by both Republican and Democratic members of the Arizona legislature, and I laud the strong number of bipartisan supporters who join with me to defend the rights of our citizens.

The State of Arizona has long been the home to defenders of personal liberty and the freedoms enshrined and protected by the Constitution of the United States and our State Constitution. I believe strongly in the individual rights and responsibilities of a free society, and as Governor I have pledged a solemn and important oath to protect and defend the Constitution.
    Way to go Governor Brewer! This law will take effect in 90 days. If my calculations are correct, that is July 15th! This is a big victory for RKBA, and I am glad that AZ is on the forefront.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

The law will take effect 90 days from when they convene session. They predict it will become law around Sept -Oct timeframe

I'm tellin' ya... I love livin' in the free Arizona desert
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

find it significant that the youngest state in the Lower 48 achieved this milestone almost 235 years to the day after patriots at Lexington and Concord took up arms in defense of basic human rights. - Smitty

From the Arizona Citizens Defense League:

Today, April 16, 2010, Governor Brewer signed SB 1108, the AzCDL-requested Constitutional Carry bill, into law. Arizona now becomes the third state to not require written permission from the government for law-abiding citizens to exercise their right to bear arms discretely. Because Arizona is the first state in the U.S. with a large urban population to take this significant step, this is a watershed moment for the entire country.

AzCDL has been working towards this moment since we formed 5 years ago. Constitutional Carry has always been one of our primary goals. Every success over the last 5 years has been pursued with today’s historic occasion in mind. However, having a goal is meaningless without the support and activism of over 3,000 committed members. The citizens of Arizona, along with the citizens of other states that follow in our footsteps, owe YOU, the members of AzCDL, a debt of gratitude.

If you don’t have a permit, don’t start carrying concealed just yet. The law won’t become effective until 90 days after “Sine Die” when the Legislature officially adjourns. Since they are still working through a slew of bills, we don’t expect Sine Die anytime soon. In past years, the effective date of bills has been around September.

CCW permits still have a purpose. You’ll need one to streamline gun purchases, to carry in states that honor Arizona permits and for carrying concealed in establishments that serve alcohol. And, the training you receive to obtain a permit is an added bonus. Along with restoring your right to bear arms, SB 1108 added additional training opportunities for obtaining a permit. NRA classes and training from places like Front Sight and Gunsite will be able to qualify as permit training.

If you decide not to obtain a CCW permit, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t train. The heaviest thing about wearing a firearm is the responsibility that comes with it. Take that money that you save on permit and renewal fees and spend it on quality training as often as you can. Lead by example – the world is watching.

For the record, AzCDL contacted the other major candidates for Governor, Terry Goddard, Dean Martin, Buzz Mills, and John Munger, about whether they would have signed SB 1108. At this point Dean Martin, Buzz Mills, and John Munger have responded that they support the bill and would have signed it. We are still waiting to hear from Terry Goddard.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Glad to see states making sensible legislation, that supports the US constitution.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Well the Arizona state constitution spells out the right to bear arms in our own personal defense pretty clearly, so this wasn't a huge stretch. Let's all hope that people keep their heads so that this can be used as evidence for other states to follow suit!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Well the Arizona state constitution spells out the right to bear arms in our own personal defense pretty clearly, so this wasn't a huge stretch. Let's all hope that people keep their heads so that this can be used as evidence for other states to follow suit!
    +1 on the latter...I'm in WI where it's spelled out in the state constitution (any lawful purpose, including hunting and self defense) as well, and they've got laws on the books that give us gun free school zones (1000ft from the property, this means many towns are all together eliminated), no carrying in the car (unloaded, encased, locked), zero concealed carry, no carry in state parks; and the OC is probably 5 out of 100 odds of having to educate the arresting officer about the Attorney General's definition that OC in and of itself isn't disorderly conduct; so just because it's in the constitution doesn't mean it's applicable; so I'm very glad to hear other states are making the progress and what may not seem like much, if it works out, can be a really big deal for the rest of us around the country.

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post

I'd love to see Washington State follow suit, considering Arizona copied the text for thier constitution directly from ours.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I've been wanting to move back home for some time now... it's looking more and more attractive everyday

OMG there will be blood running in the streets arguments will be settled with old west shootouts,What's that sound? musta been Paul Helmkes Sphincter
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Here is the story as linked from Drudge Report:

Arizona to allow concealed weapons without permit - Yahoo! News

Everyone needs to contact their governors and ask them to do the same! We are peoples of one nation!
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    And then there were 3.

Vermont.

Alaska.

Arizona.

I fear it will be a long long time before my beloved Virginia or many other states join in, but I hope I am wrong.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links