A new trend among states?

A new trend among states?

This is a discussion on A new trend among states? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Since Arizona just signed into law "Constitutional Carry" (AKA "Vermont Carry"), do you see a new movement of states switching to "Constitutional Carry" like they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Question A new trend among states?

Since Arizona just signed into law "Constitutional Carry" (AKA "Vermont Carry"), do you see a new movement of states switching to "Constitutional Carry" like they did back in the 90's with many states switching to "Shall Issue"? Is the "Constitutional Carry" today the "Shall Issue" of yesterday?

If so, what states do you see in the near future following suit with Alaska, Vermont and Arizona?

We could start a betting pool.

I think the next 3 states to go that will go that route are Texas, New Mexico, and Florida. I'm ready for it to be that way in all 50 states though, of course.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

VIP Member
    Just remember, "Constitutional carry" has it's down side. While allowing concealed carry without a permit in that AZ, you cannot carry in another state unless you have a permit they honor.

Not familiar with all the specific's of the AZ law. Is a CC (or whatever they call it) permit still available, if you want one? I do know Alaska has one for those who want to get it for reciprocity reasons. Vermont residents must get another state non-resident permit if they wish to carry outside of Vermont.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Just remember, "Constitutional carry" has it's down side. While allowing concealed carry without a permit in that AZ, you cannot carry in another state unless you have a permit they honor.

Not familiar with all the specific's of the AZ law. Is a CC (or whatever they call it) permit still available, if you want one? I do know Alaska has one for those who want to get it for reciprocity reasons. Vermont residents must get another state non-resident permit if they wish to carry outside of Vermont.
    Arizona will still issue a permit for reciprocity reasons, and a permit is still required to carry in places that serve alcohol, even under the new law.

It would be great if all 50 would go this route, but can you really see California, Illinois, or New Jersey getting in line?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    We could start a betting pool.
    If we start a pool, better base it on the next State (name, then date as a tie breaker) -- 'cause, IMHO, I'll never live to see it as most States, much less all States.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    It would be great if all 50 would go this route, but can you really see California, Illinois, or New Jersey getting in line?
    Just over turn a supreme court decision or two and pass a federal law, and cut a ton of the this state allows xyz and this state allows x and y only and this state allows only y and this only z and this only x and this state none, and not posting of those laws.

Officers have LEOSA, I'd go through training and annual qualification if that's what it took to exercise the right.

I think the best odds of seeing the next state pass it is probably going to be WY, if it gets reintroduced next year. If WI gets a new governor, all they'd have to do is repeal four state statutes and the State Constitution would allow it. And WA State Constitution was the basis of the wording for the AZ State Constitution when it comes to firearms, so my vote is that the next likely one will be a W sate.

Just a guess...maybe the remaining southern border states. Isn't it getting a little 'shoot em up' south of the river?
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Mass will be next, I'm sure of it!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

VIP Member

Thumbs down For a RIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    I'd go through training and annual qualification if that's what it took to exercise the right.

Since when does it take training and annual qualification to exercise a Bill of Rights' Right.

You going to support the idea that they pass laws to require training and annual qualification for freedom of the press, speech, etc?

Am I here?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Dave, you need to chill man. He wasn't saying he wanted it that way, he just said he'd put up with it if it got him unrestricted carry in all 50 states. Plus, none of those other rights are likely to be fatal if used inappropriately. I'd actually favor requiring all citizens to get firearms training similar to what Switzerland does. Not necessarily something you have to do every few years, but maybe something like a week long front sight type course after you turn 18.

If everyone had hands-on experience with guns I think there'd be a lot fewer frightened gun-grabbers, you'd probably reduce firearms accidents, and if a draft or militia call up were ever actually necessary the country would be in a lot better position. As a bonus, it'd also be fun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keester View Post
    Dave, you need to chill man. He wasn't saying he wanted it that way, he just said he'd put up with it if it got him unrestricted carry in all 50 states. Plus, none of those other rights are likely to be fatal if used inappropriately. I'd actually favor requiring all citizens to get firearms training similar to what Switzerland does. Not necessarily something you have to do every few years, but maybe something like a week long front sight type course after you turn 18.

If everyone had hands-on experience with guns I think there'd be a lot fewer frightened gun-grabbers, you'd probably reduce firearms accidents, and if a draft or militia call up were ever actually necessary the country would be in a lot better position. As a bonus, it'd also be fun.
    Are you really sure that's what you want? The following is from Wikipedia:

Carrying guns

A militiaman with his service weapon slung over his shoulder.To carry firearms in public or outdoors (and for an individual who is a member of the militia carrying a firearm other than his Army-issue personal weapons off-duty), a person must have a Waffentragschein (gun carrying permit), which in most cases is issued only to private citizens working in occupations such as security.
    It is, however, quite common to see a person serving military service to be en route with his rifle.

Conditions for getting a Carrying Permit
    There are three conditions:

fulfilling the conditions for a buying permit (see section below)
    stating plausibly the need to carry firearms to protect oneself, other people, or real property from a specified danger
    passing an examination proving both weapon handling skills and knowledge regarding lawful use of the weapon
    The carrying permit remains valid for a term of five years (unless otherwise surrendered or revoked), and applies only to the type of firearm for which the permit was issued. Additional constraints may be invoked to modify any specific permit.

Changes due to the Schengen treaty
    The rules laid out above were changed on 1 December 2008 as Switzerland joined the Schengen treaty; and all member countries must adapt some of their laws to a common standard. Following the draft of the Swiss government for the new Waffengesetz (weapons law), these points will change:

Unlawful possession of guns will be punished.
    Gun trade among individuals will require a valid weapon acquisition permit: this is, from a Swiss point of view, a radical restriction that is assumed will undercut private gun trade dramatically.
    Every gun must be marked with a registered serial number.
    Airsoft guns and imitations of real guns will also be governed by the new law.
    Only one weapon may be purchased per weapon acquisition permit: Presumably, this will dry out the market for relatively cheap used guns, including popular collector's items such as Swiss army revolvers from the late 19th/early 20th century.
    Weapons acquired from an individual in the last ten years (which did not require a weapon acquisition permit) have to be registered. As a central weapons register was politically unfeasible, the authorities hope to get an overview of the market through this registration requirement.
    While the above mentioned "free arms" remain exempt from the weapon acquisition permit, the vendor is required to notify the local arms bureau of the sale.

Sounds a lot like what you have in the "May Issue states". Be very careful what you wish for, you may get it and regret it afterwords.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post

Since when does it take training and annual qualification to exercise a Bill of Rights' Right.

You going to support the idea that they pass laws to require training and annual qualification for freedom of the press, speech, etc?

Am I here?
    Better than having to have my mouth wired shut. Better than having to prove to a judge that I had valid reason to speak. Better than being told that I can speak must only use 3 letter words for fear I might say a four letter word. Crawl before you run, I fully agree that yes it shouldn't have to be that way, but I'd be willing to take training and exercise the right than not have the right at all.

Dude, I was only talking about the training. This isn't some trick to take your guns away, relax. The point was that some type of mandatory training for everyone, even if they don't plan to buy a gun, would make us safer as individuals, as a nation, and protect our 2A rights all at the same time.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keester View Post
    Dude, I was only talking about the training. This isn't some trick to take your guns away, relax. The point was that some type of mandatory training for everyone, even if they don't plan to buy a gun, would make us safer as individuals, as a nation, and protect our 2A rights all at the same time.
    Mandatory training to exercise a right means it is not a right. The excellent value in an inherent right, is that anyone can exercise that right, at any time, and in any place. Should everyone act responsibly, and seek training? Sure, that is a good idea, but it is not a requirement of a right. Please consider your position. To willingly give up your rights for permission to exercise said rights, is in fact giving those rights away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links