Carry in DC

Carry in DC

This is a discussion on Carry in DC within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Do you know where your elected Representatives stand? Do they know where you stand? washingtonpost.com Deal on D.C. vote in House to be revived on ...

Thread: Carry in DC

VIP Member

Carry in DC

Do you know where your elected Representatives stand? Do they know where you stand?

washingtonpost.com

Deal on D.C. vote in House to be revived on Capitol Hill

By Ann E. Marimow
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, April 15, 2010

Congressional leaders intend to resurrect a D.C. voting rights bill as early as next week, despite opposition from many city leaders to an amendment that would eliminate most of the District's gun-control laws.

The final details of the bill were being worked out Wednesday, but House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) said he expects the legislation to clear the House and to include some version of the pro-gun language that has bogged down the measure since last year.

Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D), the city's non-voting House member, and congressional leaders said they are negotiating to weaken the gun amendment language. But Norton said she is unwilling to sacrifice the opportunity to win a long-sought voting seat for the District by insisting on a stand-alone bill.

"This is the best chance we've had to get a House vote for D.C. in my lifetime," Norton said. "Nobody would leave it on the table because it's not at all clear when there will be another chance."

The time is right, Norton and other advocates said, because the bill's prospects could diminish if the Democratic majority narrows after this year's midterm elections and if the release of 2010 Census figures undercuts the legislative deal.

A year ago, the Senate passed a D.C. voting rights bill for the first time since 1978, but lawmakers attached language that would wipe out most local gun laws and restrict the D.C. Council's power to enact new ones. House leaders shelved the legislation when it became clear that it would be difficult to block the gun amendment.

Under the measure, the House would add two members: one to the overwhelmingly Democratic District and the other, temporarily, to Republican-leaning Utah. That seat would then go to the state next in line for a representative based on the 2010 Census.

Last year, many city leaders, including Norton, fiercely opposed loosening the District's gun laws. And on Wednesday, council member Mary M. Cheh (D-Ward 3) denounced the possibility of a trade-off. "It's wrong, it's undemocratic and it's insulting, and we should not kneel down on our basic principles just to get this bill through," she said. "It's way too bitter a pill that we should be forced to sacrifice our public safety."

A spokeswoman for council Chairman Vincent C. Gray (D), who is running for mayor, said he would not support the initiative if it removes the council's right to legislate firearms restrictions. "He believes the majority of our citizens would have our gun laws remain, not be weakened," spokeswoman Doxie McCoy said.

Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D), however, said he told Norton Wednesday that he would help her move the bill, even if it includes what he considers objectionable gun language. "We've had great momentum on voting rights, and we need to move forward," Fenty said in an interview with NewsChannel 8.

A recent Washington Post poll finds broad support (83 percent) among District residents for legislation that would give the city a full voting member in the House. Support spans differences in race, sex, age and geography, dipping below 80 percent only among conservatives (71 percent) and those in the lowest income and education categories, according to the poll, conducted in January.

Nationally, almost six in 10 respondents said they favor D.C. voting rights legislation in a 2009 Post-ABC poll.
    Last edited by DaveH; April 21st, 2010 at 02:05 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

DC is not....and should not be a state. It would be unconstitutional. The 83 percent who want this are ignorant of what the Constitution says.

To have quid pro quo on a constitutional right is wrong....I was concerned that this was going to happen. In my opinion, the bill should die....even if that means wiping out the gun laws...because we all know the D.C. City council will come up with laws similar to NY or NJ.

In the end, we still lose, and "they" still get what they want....and the Constitution is still in shreds.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

It died...saw it on fox news.

The problem I had with the article is with people who were interviewed.

"I believe the District will become much less safe, and the opportunity for criminals, mentally unstable persons and juveniles to purchase weapons will increase dramatically," Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., said in a statement, adding she would vote against the bill if it repeals D.C.'s firearms laws.

Also a woman who claims to hear gunshots almost every day on the street she works on. She said she would feel less safe if people were allowed to have guns.

Let me get this straight... DC has the highest crime rate of any city its size and some woman hears gunshots almost every day on her street, yet they think their gun control laws are working? I guess nobody has a brain in DC.

To counter Dianne Feinstein's comment. People are put through a background check before purchasing a gun legally. That means criminals won't pass that check right? They'll be denied right? Further more juveniles cannot in any state I know of purchase a gun on their own. I've seen the age as low as 18 for some long guns but generally you have to be 21 and over. I don't think anyone in congress that is against the 2nd amendment knows anything about how the system works. I'll even lump Bloomberg in there too. Not to mention, if there's crimes involving firearms now in DC, it's obvious that "mentally ill" people will and are still buying guns. It's simply counter productive.

My BIG question is this...How can DC deny the right of a person to purchase a gun for defense in the home or recreational use when in 2008 the Supreme court basically called their control laws unconstitutional and told them they had to change them? How can they get away with keeping the current laws that don't work on the books?

Note: I DO NOT endorse DC becoming a state whatsoever. If anything I think DC's Gun Laws should stem from Virginia who basically represents them in congress now, for all intents and purposes. Also they would be over represented in congress in that region of the country, double liberal votes basically. However, I think if DC were to become a state to itself it should be forced to remove their ridiculous gun control legislation from the books. It should be the price of entry, but I wouldn't support DC becoming a state anyway so it's moot.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

VIP Member
    Agree with the comments regarding the constitutionality of DC becoming a state. DC has representation in the house, but they do not have voting rights. Nor should they. Our founding fathers were very clear with regards to their intentions and restrictions for the residents of DC. But why should any of us be surprised that our government and the folks in power no longer care to concern themselves with obeying the law? They do as the please, when they please, without so much as a single regard to the constitution.

I am waiting for the November elections.

Sponsored Links