Should public schools teach gun safety?

Should public schools teach gun safety?

This is a discussion on Should public schools teach gun safety? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Background: Delegate Lewis' HB 1217, which allows elementary school to offer a firearms education/Eddie Eagle class will become law, in Virginia. see: Va. to use ...

View Poll Results: Should gun safety be taught in primary school?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

112 79.43%
  • No

25 17.73%
  • Undecided

4 2.84%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    VIP Member

Question Should public schools teach gun safety?

Background:

Delegate Lewis' HB 1217, which allows elementary school to offer a firearms education/Eddie Eagle class will become law, in Virginia.

see:

Va. to use NRA measures in new gun-safety program - WTKR

Va. to use NRA measures in new gun-safety program

RICHMOND, Va. - A new law will require Virginia's education department to come up with a gun-safety program for public elementary schools that incorporates guidelines from the National Rifle Association.

The law allows local school divisions to offer gun-safety education to pupils in kindergarten through fifth grade. While each school board can decide whether to offer it, those that do must use the state curriculum guidelines--which will include rules used by the NRA's Eddie Eagle GunSafe Program.

Legislation passed in March by the General Assembly had included an amendment that allowed the guidelines to include materials from the National Crime Prevention Center. Gov. Bob McDonnell proposed removing the amendment because there is no group by that name, and the legislature on Wednesday approved his change.

While the legislation meant to refer to the National Crime Prevention Council, McDonnell spokeswoman Stacey Johnson says that rather than fixing the group's name, the governor deleted it because the council doesn't have a current standalone gun-safety program.

The law requires that curriculum guidelines "shall incorporate, among other principles of firearm safety, accident prevention and the rules upon which the Eddie Eagle GunSafe Program offered by the National Rifle Association is based."

The program uses the Eddie Eagle mascot to advise children: "If you see a gun: STOP! Don't Touch. Leave the Area. Tell an Adult."

NRA's Eddie Eagle website says that the program's goal "isn't to teach whether guns are good or bad, but rather to promote the protection and safety of children."

Opponents of the NRA's prominence in the law include a group called Virginians for Public Safety, affiliated with a number of Virginia Tech massacre victims' families who have advocated for stricter gun-control measures, including federal legislation to require private firearms sellers to conduct background checks on prospective buyers.

"It's frustrating," Lori Haas, the mother of injured student Emily Haas, said Thursday. "The General Assembly has no business mandating new programs that school systems have not asked for, while simultaneously cutting funding to school systems."

Haas said that while the Eddie Eagle program may be considered an industry standard-bearer, the gun lobby shouldn't be shaping school curriculums, and decisions about teaching gun safety to children should be left to their parents.

The National Rifle Association spent more than $620,000 towards McDonnell's election efforts in 2009, including more than $537,000 on television and radio advertising, according to the Virginia Public Access Project.

Virginia Department of Education spokesman Charles Pyle said Thursday that agency staff will create draft guidelines, and the public will be given chances to review and comment on the proposed measures before they're presented to the state Board of Education for final adoption.

The legislation's fiscal impact statement says that it's likely that the department will have to "contract out for assistance in developing curriculum guidelines," but had no estimate of the potential cost.

Pyle said that it was too early to address whether the education department would meet with NRA staff to shape the guidelines, but such a process "often does involve bringing in parties with expertise in the areas. That only makes sense." He also said that the department also would look at other safety programs if they fit the law's requirements.

The Eddie Eagle program already is offered in schools across the country and in Virginia. The Department of Education doesn't track which local schools currently offer such firearms-safety lessons, Pyle said.

Note: Saslaw had tried to slip the Anti Gun Natl. Crime Prevention Center (Canadian) in but got caught.

Now the Antis are pitching a fit:

The Answer Sheet - Should public schools teach gun safety? Virginia schools may

washingtonpost.com

And there is some fairly balanced coverage:

Gun Safety Courses in Elementary School? - wtvr
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I think this is a great program as long as they teach the Second Amendment and how it is to be cherished and not feared.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Yes, with parental consent.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Moderator
    Should it, no

Should it be allowed, yes if the parents and school district want it taught then they can teach it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

tango, the only way programs like this get in is if they don't take a position one way or the other on gun ownership and use. I believe the Eddie Eagle program material wisely follows this tact.

Parents need to understand that even if you hate guns and don't have any in your house, your child's friends may not have parents that feel the same way. Kids need to know what to do if they find/see a gun. STOP. Don't touch. Leave the area. Find an adult.

Absolutely!!!

Funny thing is I just started a thread on this subject in the Concealed Carry forum. My proposal was to require training for all high school students and allow everyone to carry with no permit.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Should it, no

Should it be allowed, yes if the parents and school district want it taught then they can teach it.
    I have a different take.

Should each school teach gun safety? Yes!

Should individual student's parents be able to opt out? Yes!

The school board or individual school administrator of public schools should not make the call, IMHO.

See:

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Yes, with parental consent.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I have a different take.

The school board or individual school administrator of public schools should not make the call, IMHO.

See:
    I agree that the school board or administrator should not have the sole power to make this call, but this and other elective subjects (band, football, art etc...) should be the call of the parents. If the parents in a district want it taught then the district should offer it, if the parents don't want it taught then it should be.

If you live in a district were it is taught and you don't wan tyour kids learning about guns (or anything else for that matter) then you can pull your kids out of the school district schools and either home school or send them to a private school that teaches according to you belief.

But this is really arguing over nothing as I feel it should be offered. I also feel that if I am the only parent in my district that wants it offered then I should be just to statisfy me.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I think it should be taught from a strictly safety driven perspective, as in "...isn't to teach whether guns are good or bad, but rather to promote the protection and safety of children." I don't think it should be an "opt-out" thing. It's about safety. Schools teach kids fire safety, the "stranger danger" stuff, etc. No one opts-out of those. My biggest fear is not my kid getting one of my properly secured firearms, or even finding one else where. My kid will no how to handle the situation. My fear, is that some kid whose parents didn't teach him about firearms, and didn't secure theirs properly, will pick one up to play with and shoot my kid or himself before my kid has a chance to exit the situation and alert an adult.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I have a different take.

Should each school teach gun safety? Yes!

Should individual student's parents be able to opt out? Yes!

See:
    I've got some news for you...the school board has the last say on anything and everything that goes on within the school district. School boards develop policy, by individual state law, that guide all the workings within individual districts.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Now after we can talk the school board members (a majority) into it, I do believe that schools SHOULD allow gun safety courses.

In some ways, we already have some of that in our district. We have an JROTC rifle team...they do quite well, nationally!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'll agree to that, but someone is sure to get into trouble with the Feds when they say, "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition."

Isn't it a sad state we find ourselves in today?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I say let them concentrate on the three R's, god knows how bad they need too. Let the parents of kids that will be exposed to guns have the obligation to teach their little darlings.

DCR
    No. Some things are the responsibility of the parent. I'll teach my kids what they need to know about guns. Same with sex education.

Yes absolutely should be mandatory. Should also include study of the second Amendment with focus on the definition of infringement advocating the unrestricted ownership and carry of fire arms by all Americans.

But than I think that we need to follow the Swiss model requiring every able bodied citizen to have and maintain the current military standard small arms in their homes.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links