While in Scotland... - Page 2

While in Scotland...

This is a discussion on While in Scotland... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After reading goawayfarm's list, I wanted to just sit back and hysterically laugh and cry. I didn't see many police officers while there. The ones ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VIP Member
    After reading goawayfarm's list, I wanted to just sit back and hysterically laugh and cry.

I didn't see many police officers while there. The ones I saw weren't armed. Stop, or I'll blow my whistle!

Since I couldn't have any guns or knives, I was left with my wits, a stout camera monopod, and a very sharp writing utensil.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Since I couldn't have any guns or knives, I was left with my wits, a stout camera monopod, and a very sharp writing utensil.
    'Sturdy tripod'.....Gitzo by chance?

'Very sharp writing utensil'..........."very sharp" or "unusually" sharp?

VIP Member
    I said this once and I'll say it again....now might be a good time for the Boche to dust off the plans for Operation SEALION since the Brit commoner can't stand up to adequately to defend the Crown.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Welcome home, Betty. Scotland is beautifyl but the political and social climate is not what it once was.

Betty, is this true? A ban on glass?
    Pub glass ban faces legal fight

1 June 2006

A legal challenge has been raised against plans to for a total ban on glasses in Glasgow's pubs and clubs.

The Scottish Beer and Pub Association (SBPA) has lodged papers at the Court of Session opposing the enforced use of toughened or plastic glasses.

The licensing board agreed on the ban, which will be rolled out in January, to reduce injuries from violence.

Glass was banned in pubs and clubs with late night entertainment licences earlier this year.

The SBPA said the ban was a "disproportionate response".

Chief executive Patrick Browne said a judicial review was being sought as it believed Glasgow's Licensing Board was acting outside its powers.

"We argued against the board's blanket ban on the use of glass which we believed could not be justified in terms of cost or risk and was a totally disproportionate response to the issue," he said.

We feel entirely on safe grounds legally as this policy

Gordon Macdiarmid, Glasgow Licensing Board

"The industry is in full support of policies designed to target and tackle the violent thugs who use glass as a weapon.

"But we believe that the use of plastic bottles or toughened glass is best determined on a premises by premises basis where problems exist, and not across the board."

Police in Glasgow city centre and the west end recorded 59 violent incidents involving glass in the 12 months up to November 2005.

VIP Member

Don't you just love the Anti's strategy.....

Quote Originally Posted by David III
    Betty, is this true? A ban on glass?
    Pub glass ban faces legal fight ........
    You bet, I ran across that article 2or 3 days ago.

anti solution:

1st- ban guns
    2nd- ban knives
    3rd- ban glass
    4th- ban sharp objects
    5th- ban blunt objects
    6th- ban sticks
    7th- ban rocks
    8th- ban fists
    9th- ban offensive gestures
    10th- ban dirty looks
    11th-....etc.......

Did you notice that the anti mind set doesn't solve the problem, it just bans inanimate objects.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Simpler solution......ban Liberals

I've never seen so many rabbits in my life!
    So, I guess from a hunters POV Scotland is what you refer to as a target-rich environment?
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

Mucho Congratso!

What a great place to spend a honeymoon! Spent time in Scotland a couple of years ago - (among other things, to visit the birthplace of my favorite Scotch) Inverness is a great place!

A good friend of ours from Scotland came to visit us last fall and I took the opportunity to introduce him to a few of my favorite things. First, I took to our monthly gun show. He was amazed at what was available to purchase over the counter ("There's country's that aren't so well-armed").

Then I took him out to the range. He had fired a small-bore rifle before, but never even held a handgun.

So, he got to fire quite a few rounds of .40, .357, .38, .380 and .22, then really had "blast" with the AR-15. Especially when I told him to go rapid-fire with a 30-round mag because the "evil-doers" were attacking! He shot quite well for a first-timer and now has a new perspective on a lot of items in the news.

He's definitely looking forward to a return engagement on his next visit.

I'm headed across the pond myself in a couple of months. More real ale and more Scotch is a good thing . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Handguns

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    Would have been real interesting to find out what a person would have to go through to purchase one of the hand guns. It probably would be like hearing a horror story!
    I believe they may have been replicas or air pistols made to look like the real deal. They were pretty popular at one time and very real looking. Think they were looking at banning them too....

As far as I recall, Class 1 handguns (i.e. those that use powder and bullets or an air pistol over 6 foot pounds of energy) are completely banned now.

Of course, its obvious to anyone with any sense that it isn't working, but some people just can't admit they are wrong. So they start banning other things.

The elite get their armed body guards, so they have nothing to worry about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links