While in Scotland...

This is a discussion on While in Scotland... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We just returned from our Scotland honeymoon yesterday. We stayed in Inverness, in the Highlands by Loch Ness. There was only one gun store there ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: While in Scotland...

VIP Member

While in Scotland...

We just returned from our Scotland honeymoon yesterday. We stayed in Inverness, in the Highlands by Loch Ness.

There was only one gun store there that I could find.

And it was mostly clothing and fishing gear. The guns were stuffed all the way in the back, a meager selection mostly consisting of .22s and double-barrel shotguns. There was one Colt AR, and it looked like nobody handled it in a while. I almost missed the handguns buried in a display case - there wasn't much to speak of, a Ruger P99, a 1911, and a couple odds and ends. It total there was probably no more than 50 guns. It was really quite disheartening.

It also wasn't surprising.

We had a nice, long conversation with our taxi driver. I asked about hunting (they call it "stalking") and he said the locals really didn't hunt (I've never seen so many rabbits in my life!) and it was mostly left to richer tourists and people coming up from England. They spend a huge amount to hunt a deer, and that's that.

The driver found it fascinating that we had carry permits and gun shows and private gun sales. He didn't voice whether he was for or against gun laws, but could see both sides of the issue. He spoke of the numerous crimes in the UK and the stabbing crimes. Stabbing and the knife issue were all over the papers.

On another note, I caught a bit of the BBC news, where a Duke is contemplating shutting down the water supply to an entire village because the pipes are old and leaky.

Keep fighting to keep our gun rights, because there is something terribly wrong in the UK and we don't want to end up like our neighbors across the big pond.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

Agreed. I lived the first 25+ years of my life in the UK and it amazes me every time I go back just how quickly it has turned into a big brother state with everything banned and cameras everywhere.

That really is to bad

As restrictive as some of our gun laws are we still have it better than 7/8ths of the rest of the world..

Matter of fact off to gun store today

VIP Member
    Hope you two had a wonderful trip! Scotland is a place I've always wanted to visit, but your post reminds me why I'm glad we took the good time and trouble to throw the King of England out of our country a few centuries ago

It sounds like rabbits and sheep are plentiful in the U.K.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    One thing I noticed right away was the "CCTV" signs everywhere. Yuck.

And there is a lot of sheep in Scotland, literally.

"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I'm sure William Wallace is turning over in his several graves.

If you ever have the chance, look up Gun Control in Great Britian.
    It started, just after the Great October Revolution in Russia. The British King went to the Prime Minister and told him that he really liked being the King, it was a swell job and Carl Marx's home town was not Moscow, but London. So could we please disarm the peasants before they do something that all the Rich, Powerful and elites really hate.

Jungle Work

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Hope you had a great time!
    Curry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Work
    I'm sure William Wallace is turning over in his several graves.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    I almost missed the handguns buried in a display case - there wasn't much to speak of, a Ruger P99, a 1911, and a couple odds and ends. It total there was probably no more than 50 guns. It was really quite disheartening.
    Would have been real interesting to find out what a person would have to go through to purchase one of the hand guns. It probably would be like hearing a horror story!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Interesting news. I have friends that went to Switzerland a while back (she has family there) and reported the complete opposite. And with an almost nil crime rate. Hmmmm?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Assistant Administrator
    Welcome back Betty - I daresay several things were eye-openers!!

We need to be both thankful and jealously possessive of our rights - all gets brought home when elsewhere.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Welcome back! I, too, would be interested in what it would take to buy that 1911 in Scotland.
    And, I look for the UK to really push their "new" knife issue.

VIP Member

Sounds like congratulations are in order.....

Things is the UK are getting bad. I have a close friend who owns a cottage there & visits frequently. The man that takes care of his cottage, lives on a farm nearby. One night he was attacked by what are called 'gypsies'. He tried to defend himself with a shovel, in the ma-lay that followed he injured one of the 'gypsies'. When the bobbies arrived, this man defending his life & property was arrested! The 'gypsies' were trespassing & stealing items from his barn & when he tried to stop them, the OWNER gets arrested! The only good thing to come of this was when the trial came up, the jury could see how ridiculous this was & found him not guilty.

My friend had to fly over to testify at this trial. Since then I have been sending him all the incidents I come across of that have to do with then silly stories about guns, burglaries, attempts at self defense that I can.

Some of these articles are ridiculous & the outcomes would NOT be tolerated here in the USA.(at least not yet)

Here are some of some of the Headlines:

- U.K. torchlight possession bans flames
    - How police used £10,000 to stalk route of an apple-eating driver (they used helicopters, because she was eating an apple while driving)
    - Wardens get DNA kit to trap spitting drivers
    - 10 crimes a year solved (crimes solved per bobbie)
    - Knife sales to be banned
    - Hats off for British easyInternetcafes as baseball caps banned
    - A contract is still a contract – even if it is a contract to kill (A woman who hired a hitman to kill her has been awarded £2,000 because she is still alive)
    - Now brainstorms are off the agenda (the buzzword...has been deemed politically incorrect by civil servants)
    - Anti-Gun Campaigner Attacks 'Heavy-Handed' Police (anti-gun campaigner today criticized police as “heavy handed” after she was arrested for having a pump-action sawn-off shotgun in her home.
    - Armed police swoop on boy waving a toy gun while playing cowboys and indians in the street
    - Baby fined for littering (16 month old BABY boy landed his dad with a £50 litter fine — for throwing an empty can out of his pram.)
    - In a recent report, England’s top lawyer - Attorney-General Lord Goldsmith – was quoted as saying that criminals’ rights need to be protected as well as victims.
    - British disarmament policy, new knife ban only produces rising crime
    - Burglary victim had gun (THE victim of a vicious armed burglary is facing jail after confessing he kept a gun at his home "for protection".)
    - CALL TO BAN FAKE GUNS
    - CAUGHT IN GUN TERROR (A FISHING trip turned into a nightmare for a Sheffield father and son after they were surrounded by armed police and locked up - for buying toy guns.)
    - Clay shoot triggers police call-out (ARMED police were out-gunned - when they ambushed a clay-pigeon shoot)
    - Country crime is crippling industry (Two thirds of people living in the rural West Midlands said they had been victims of crime in the past year at a cost to businesses of more than £580,000, according to business leaders.)
    - Disruptive toddlers to be treated as potential criminals (CHILDREN as young as three are to be singled out by nursery staff if they display aggressive behavior, according to a government report)
    - Gun law: don't shoot first, shout (Countryfolk must try to scare off their prey before opening fire)
    - England has worst crime rate in world (England and Wales have the highest crime rate among the world's leading economies, according to a new report by the United Nations.)
    - Farmer robbed - and police confiscate his shotgun (strawberry farmer Eric Jarnet is fuming after police confiscated his shotgun on his 70th birthday because they feared he might emulate Norfolk farmer Tony Martin. Mr Martin became a national figure after the shotgun killing of a burglar at his farmhouse.)
    - Father faces prison for having stun gun (A FATHER who was beaten with a mallet and had his flat burnt down will spend Christmas behind bars after admitting possession of a stun gun he claimed was for his own safety.)
    - Forced out, jeweller whose wife was shot dead (A jeweller who refused to bow to "lawlessness" after his wife was shot dead during an armed raid at their shop closed his family business yesterday after falling victim to another theft.
    Victor Bates said he was "utterly dispirited" after the latest incident, in which he held the suspected thief for almost half an hour in a shop full of customers as he waited for police to arrive.)
    - Free, raid victim who fired a gun (A DECORATED former soldier walked free from court after firing a starting pistol when two men threatened him on his doorstep. But ex-special forces soldier Colin Tattersdale is now in hiding after one of the men told the court: "I want him out on the street so I can do him myself.")
    - Gun crime fears 'hitting tourism' (Visitors are being scared away by violence and binge drinking
    Nottingham's image as the gun crime capital of the UK is keeping visitors away - according to a council report.)
    - Doctors' kitchen knives ban call (doctors are calling for a ban on long pointed kitchen knives to reduce deaths from stabbing.)

This is but a few I have about three times this many from the past 2-3 years. As you can see, the UK has some thing really really wrong going on. True, they are a sovereign country & can do whatever they like. Our fear in the USA is that our politicians want to emulate them. THAT CAN NOT BE TOLERATED!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Sad...so sad. Talk about helpless. People being arrested and imprisoned for having toy guns and defending themselves with starter pistols. How sad.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Welcome back, Betty, and Congratulations to the two of you! Thanks for the quick update on the "Empire".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links