Sen. John McCain takes on Washington DC - Page 2

Sen. John McCain takes on Washington DC

This is a discussion on Sen. John McCain takes on Washington DC within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by automatic slim Shouldn't a "Second Amendment Enforcement Act" apply to the whole nation, especially places like NYC, Chicago, Kalifornia, etc.? No, it ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sen. John McCain takes on Washington DC

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Shouldn't a "Second Amendment Enforcement Act" apply to the whole nation, especially places like NYC, Chicago, Kalifornia, etc.?
    No, it shouldn't - not until and unless the 2nd Amendment is incorporated against the states and municipalities. This kind of rhetoric diminishes the unique plight of the citizens of the District. It is sadly ironic that the citizens who live and work in the Federal District should suffer under the most draconian gun laws of anywhere in the country. Where gun rights are concerned, the District's non-voting Delegates, Mayors, and Council have been thumbing their collective nose at the citizens they represent for decades. Congress has ultimate authority over the District, and it is long past time for Congress to enforce the 2A rights of the only citizens in the country who have no Representative, no Senator, no vote, and no Constitution besides the U.S. Constitution.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Administrator
    Let's try to keep the comments somehow related to the OP topic AKA the gun bill.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I have no objection to Sen McCain helping the 2A community... on his way out the door.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Beware of what you wish for, e.g., great state laws being made mandatory throughout each and every state, recognized by all as common American law...like gay marriage, gun control and fun control.

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    McCain is trying to show the people back in AZ that he is a conservative. He is going to be in a fight for his political survival in Nov. He has a strong opponent (republican) fighting for his senate seat.
    As far as McCain goes, it may be too little too late. With that said, I wish them luck w/ less restrictive gun laws DC.
    That is a fact! Spell Progressive!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    WOW! Lame Brain McCain knows which way the right-wing wind blows! Now he is even for border control! Forget his jive and Saturday Night Live and him wanting to be liked in D.C., Hollywood, and on Manhattan Island. He makes me sick. Can he still trick the hicks? Don't pout or shout! He has just about worn that old Vietnam Hero routine out. Note: Sarah Palin stupidly showed her loyalty to him by giving him her support, of course, instead of J.D. Hayworth, the true nationalist America First conservative candidate that the dim Dims and loony libs really hate. Ain't that great!
    Fighting for his job! Progressive!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Part of me thinks he's doing this knowing, in all likelihood, Obama would veto it thinking it wouldn't have enough votes to override. I wonder if the McDonald case would eliminate the need for this?
    Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Kimber Tactical Custom II, SIS Pro

Damn! It looks like these flyover-country hicks are finally sick of being tricked!

McCain, tester, Childers, and Souder Introduce Bills To Reform D.C.’s Gun Laws

Friday, April 30, 2010

This week, Senators John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Jon. tester (D-Mont.), and Reps. Travis Childers (D-Miss.) and Rep. Mark Souder (R-Ind.), introduced the “Second Amendment Enforcement Act.” The Senate and House bills (S. 3265, with 14 Senate cosponsors and H.R. 5162, with 64 House co-sponsors, respectively) would eliminate several of the District’s most restrictive gun control laws passed in the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court's landmark 2008 decision in District of Columbia v. Heller.

“We believe that residents across this country should be able to exercise their constitutional right to have access to firearms to protect themselves,” Sen. McCain said. Sen. tester added, “This legislation sends a clear message: Washington, D.C., isn’t an exception when it comes to law-abiding folks and their Second Amendment rights.” Rep. Childers noted, “Today’s legislation seeks to secure for District residents the rights reinforced by the Supreme Court’s decision in Heller.”

Since the mid-1970s, D.C.’s gun control regimen has been similar to laws imposed in countries where—as Second Amendment author James Madison put it in The Federalist—“governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.”

The D.C. gun reform bills will move the District’s gun laws away from their European (and worse) model and closer to the mainstream laws that are in place in most of America. The bills would abolish the District’s deliberately difficult and costly firearm registration requirement, its restrictions on carrying a firearm for protection on private property, its post-Heller ban on hundreds of types of semi-automatic firearms denigrated as “assault weapons,” its ban on standard defensive magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, and its California-style “microstamping” law and handgun "roster" system.

Anticipating continuing efforts by the D.C. Council to suppress gun ownership by preventing dealers from conducting business in the District, the bills also provide for D.C. residents to legally buy handguns from FFLs in Maryland and Virginia, and they prescribe reasonable conditions for the lawful transportation of firearms within the District.

Furthermore, because the city’s elected officials have demonstrated hostility toward the Second Amendment—imposing its “microstamping” law, “assault weapon” ban, ban on magazines holding over 10 rounds, and “unsafe handgun” ban (which the city modified after the ban was challenged in court)—the Childers and McCain bills prohibit the city from enacting new laws designed to thwart the exercise of the right to arms.

NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox declared NRA’s support for the Childers-Souder and McCain-tester bills, noting that NRA “remains committed to restoring the right to self-defense for law-abiding citizens in Washington, D.C., by whatever legal or legislative means necessary.”

Not everyone views the new legislation so favorably, however. In a press release, D.C. Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton (D) derided the “new and more dangerous National Rifle Association gun amendment” (sic) because it would allow the city to regulate, but not prohibit, the carrying of firearms. (In Heller, the Supreme Court recognized that the Second Amendment “guarantee[s] the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation.”)

Norton repeatedly mischaracterized the potential effect of the bills. For example, she claimed that they would stop the city from prohibiting guns within schools that do not have metal detectors--ignoring the fact that the bill would retain the District's general ban on carrying firearms outside the home. The city’s mayor, Adrian M. Fenty (D), said that to “permit more guns in the District would be a major step backward for public safety,” but didn’t explain the basis for his prediction. Nor did he explain how, to date, D.C.’s draconian gun laws have enhanced public safety in D.C.

We encourage all NRA members to contact their U.S. Senators and Representative and ask them to cosponsor this important legislation. You can find contact information for your legislators by using the "Write Your Representatives" tool at NRA-ILA ::, or you can call your U.S. Senators at (202) 224-3121, and your U.S. Representative at (202) 225-3121.

[LINK]

Legistlation being introduced by 2 republicans and 2 democrats..... now that is how things get done. Bravo.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Maybe this is true BI-paritsanship for a change? Maybe they want positive attention for November... maybe... but either way I hope this is a true 2a offering for legislation and not some shady back room mega restrictions on page 1400 bill.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Any step forward is a step forward!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Simply amazing...four Senators pushing a bill without a 'tax' in it...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

With any luck, this will be at least one good thing he has done as he exits stage left in the republican primary to be replaced with a real conservative.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links