School zones and churches,check for updates...

This is a discussion on School zones and churches,check for updates... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We have some statewide legislation that has successfully gone through both the representative and senate committee's. There are several gun-related bills, but I want to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School zones and churches,check for updates...

VIP Member

School zones and churches,check for updates...

We have some statewide legislation that has successfully gone through both the representative and senate committee's.

There are several gun-related bills, but I want to briefly touch on two.

1. Church carry. Currently it is illegal to CC in a church here. The proposed bill would give churches the option of letting members conceal carry. It would be at the discretion of the pastor and/or governing board.

I know all the arguments as to why gun-free zones can be killing fields. If this makes it to law, it'll certainly be better than what we have now, which is nothing. Giving churches the option, helped minimize political resistance in the fact that it is totally up to each church to decide.

2. School zone carry. This is not about carry conceal on campus. This is about the 1000' gun free zone that radiates out from the edge of the school grounds where no guns are allowed except in homes and cars. Trying to navigate these zones and staying out of them is of course burdensome, and this bill would exempt permit holders.

If any of you have family or friends in Louisiana, I encourage you to contact them right away and ask them to call their senator and representative and ask for their support of SB 81 and HB 556.

Here is an article from yesterdays new's and it did pass the house committee today.

April 27, 2010 at 8:46 pm
    SB81 clears Judiciary committee, HB556 up Wednesday
    Posted by admin in Uncategorized
    Senate Bill 81 (CCH carry within 1,000′ of school) cleared the Senate Judiciary B committee this morning without objection from the committee members though it was clear they were hearing the concerns of higher education that the bill might lead to problems.

HB556, along with the other firearm bills noted in yesterday’s post, will be heard Wednesday morning and is identical. It would really be helpful for the committee members of the House Administration of Criminal Justice to hear from you, the legitimate firearms owners about how you feel on this bill.

Remember folks, these bills address the problem a law abiding citizen who has a permit would face should he/she be out of their car, but within 1,000′ of a school they don’t even know about. Current law makes this a 5 year felony and lack of knowledge of the presence of the school is NOT a defense provided under the existing law. It also doesn’t matter whether school is in session or not.

When plotted on a map, these zone cover an average of two to three city blocks. Do you know what is three blocks away when your car has a flat tire when traveling through a different city? You’d better if you don’t feel like lending your support to get this bill passed.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Looks good

Keep us posted.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    We have some statewide legislation that has successfully gone through both the representative and senate committee's.

There are several gun-related bills, but I want to briefly touch on two.

1. Church carry. Currently it is illegal to CC in a church here. The proposed bill would give churches the option of letting members conceal carry. It would be at the discretion of the pastor and/or governing board.

I know all the arguments as to why gun-free zones can be killing fields. If this makes it to law, it'll certainly be better than what we have now, which is nothing. Giving churches the option, helped minimize political resistance in the fact that it is totally up to each church to decide.

2. School zone carry. This is not about carry conceal on campus. This is about the 1000' gun free zone that radiates out from the edge of the school grounds where no guns are allowed except in homes and cars. Trying to navigate these zones and staying out of them is of course burdensome, and this bill would exempt permit holders.

If any of you have family or friends in Louisiana, I encourage you to contact them right away and ask them to call their senator and representative and ask for their support of SB 81 and HB 556.

Here is an article from yesterdays new's and it did pass the house committee today.

April 27, 2010 at 8:46 pm
    SB81 clears Judiciary committee, HB556 up Wednesday
    Posted by admin in Uncategorized
    Senate Bill 81 (CCH carry within 1,000′ of school) cleared the Senate Judiciary B committee this morning without objection from the committee members though it was clear they were hearing the concerns of higher education that the bill might lead to problems.

HB556, along with the other firearm bills noted in yesterday’s post, will be heard Wednesday morning and is identical. It would really be helpful for the committee members of the House Administration of Criminal Justice to hear from you, the legitimate firearms owners about how you feel on this bill.

Remember folks, these bills address the problem a law abiding citizen who has a permit would face should he/she be out of their car, but within 1,000′ of a school they don’t even know about. Current law makes this a 5 year felony and lack of knowledge of the presence of the school is NOT a defense provided under the existing law. It also doesn’t matter whether school is in session or not.

When plotted on a map, these zone cover an average of two to three city blocks. Do you know what is three blocks away when your car has a flat tire when traveling through a different city? You’d better if you don’t feel like lending your support to get this bill passed.

Is the 1000' school zone a Louisiana Law separate from the federal? Federal law (18 U.S.C. § 922 : US Code - Section 922: Unlawful acts) allows carry of a firearm on school grounds if the person has a CCW permit from the State. No requirement to be in a vehicle.

(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to
    possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects
    interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual
    knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
    (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a
    firearm -
    (i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do
    so by the State in which the school zone is located or a
    political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or
    political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains
    such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or
    political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified
    under law to receive the license;

As far as Church carry, I like Texas law better. Here church carry is allowed unless the church is posted per state penal code 30.06. Better than having to ask for permission.

Would prefer to reduce/eliminate these school zones in total. They do not prevent crime...anyone who is bent on committing a crime at a school will break this law.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Would prefer to reduce/eliminate these school zones in total. They do not prevent crime...anyone who is bent on committing a crime at a school will break this law.
    ABSOLUTELY. I watched the webcast live, so I got to hear from both sides. There was a lady from the education dept who testified against it. Her reasoning, and she stated it several times, she didn't want guns in the gun free zone ! The legislators on the committee informed her that guns were already there.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I would have asked her how the law prevents guns in GFZs....and let her think about her answer...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    yeah, should have asked her if we put up a sign will that stop the criminals too?

at least this legislation is a step in the right direction, which is what is needed

I too was wondering if LA had a state 1000' gun free zone on top of the federal zone
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Best of luck, I hope they both pass!

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    What part of "CRIMINALS BREAK LAWS!!!!" don't these people understand?

Sounds like some reasoable "common sense" regulations to me. Good for them.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    I too was wondering if LA had a state 1000' gun free zone on top of the federal zone
    I checked with an attorney who has been helping us. This is what I understand, it's not 1000' + 1000' more. The feds declare a 1000' foot zone; and the state can declare a 1000' foot zone, I suppose the state could define more or less than the 1000'. What it amounts to in our case is that both zones cover the same area.

Here is an interesting part from the attorney:

"There is a federal gun free school zone law with the same 1000' boundary. The holder of a state CHP is exempt from that law."

According to the feds I'm okay with my permit, but not with the state. I'm guessing the gun free zones by the state were put in place before the state began issuing CC permits?

We're working on this, keep your fingers crossed and if you know anyone here, contact them and ask them to call their legislators in support of SB 81 and HB 556 ( I just love the 556)

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    2. School zone carry. This is about the 1000' gun free zone that radiates out from the edge of the school grounds where no guns are allowed except in homes and cars. Trying to navigate these zones and staying out of them is of course burdensome, and this bill would exempt permit holders. [/I]
    Wow, everyone would be in trouble around here.... I live in between 3 schools that are all less than or about a 1000 ft, and in the evening everyone "walks" the streets around here, and numerous I know carry, including me.

Here, it's legal to carry even in schools, as long as they are not posted, and no school "grounds / property" can be posted.

I applaud your effort...the school zone problem is a BIG one...hope both make it all the way.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

Gun Trap -- reciprocity/recolonization and School zones

If you have any input into the drafting of State Law, pay attention to the bold section of the Fed law.

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do
    so by the State in which the school zone is located or a
    political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or
    political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains
    such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or
    political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified
    under law to receive the license;
    Feds are interpreting that to mean that folk carrying by authority of reciprocity/recolonization are not exempted by the virtue of their permit.

I would love to see a State add wording along the lines of "for the purpose of this section [carry in a school zone] any individual who is authorized to possess and carry a firearm in the State of... through reciprocity or recolonization of a permit from another State is licensed carry in the State of...."

Addendum:

Just thought of another gun trap where "licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located ...." and "State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license...."

What about Constitutional Carry States? Particularly NH? Would the Fed's 1000 be enforced because the the State or political subdivision did not verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license?

Anyone from NH know of any case law?

AK?
    Last edited by DaveH; April 30th, 2010 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Added Addendum
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Update update update

Today SB 81 passed the full Senate with a vote of 34-0

EXCELLENT

Next stop will be the full House vote sometimes this week? I understand that the opponents (mostly education dept) are lining up to fight the house version (HB 556).

I've got to get some more emails out tonight. Anytime you have something like this going on, it is IMPORTANT to pound these legislators with phone calls, letters, emails, etc., at the same time recruit your family and friends to do the same. IT DOES HAVE A GREAT EFFECT.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Wow, I'm glad to hear this, on both counts!! Thanks for the heads-up, I'll be watching this closely.

And I plan to call my reps about it tomorrow to express my support.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links