Defensive Carry banner

Is GA opening reciprocity further?

685 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  redbeardsong 
#1 ·
This is from the bill that is almost about to go to gov. once the politicians are finished hacking it up a little more sigh ...

SB308:

(g) On and after October 1, 1996, a person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect within such state to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such license holder shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state."

Im no legal professor but if I read that right then it looks like GA will accept any state in the union at this point? Or do they mean only if that state accepts GA licensees?

#3 ·
No, it sounds like any state should be recognized, but if you become a resident of GA you'll need to get a GA license.

#4 ·
Tangoseal,

Only the permits from states who recognize Georgia's permits will be recognized, which is the same as current law. For example, SC doesn't recognize GA's permit because GA has no training requirement. SB 308 had an option for an "enhanced" license with training, that might fix that, but I don't know if that got cut out.

If you're not already involved there, you should become a member of the forum at Georgiapacking.org. The forum was clogged up last night as we followed the legislative session to see if our bills passed.

Also, I strongly implore you to join GeorgiaCarry.org, the grassroots organization that made HB 89, SB 291, and SB308 happen, and have continually fought HARD in court and in the legislature for Georgia citizens right to bear arms. Membership is just $15.

Incidentally, the NRA was in the session last night fighting against us, trying to sink SB-308 while GeorgiaCarry fought to get it passed. There are a lot of Georgians canceling their NRA memberships today!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.