More blood running in the streets

This is a discussion on More blood running in the streets within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Another anti who thinks "unarmed victim zones" work and that recent State gun rights law changes will result in more danger, because permitting "ordinary citizens ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More blood running in the streets

VIP Member

Another anti who thinks "unarmed victim zones" work and that recent State gun rights law changes will result in more danger, because permitting "ordinary citizens to carry firearms in places where weapons don't belong is ... dangerous ...."

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/245557

We will become the Wild West

Re: "Gun law change helps the law-abiding against the lawless," April 25 letter:

Is everywhere in Virginia going to look like the Wild West? There are more and more places in Virginia that residents with concealed weapons permits are allowed to carry a firearm. The Virginia General Assembly recently allowed citizens who possess concealed weapons permits the right to carry firearms in places that serve alcohol.

Earlier this year, there was a bill going through the General Assembly that would permit full-time professors at state universities to carry their weapons into their classrooms. In a state where a concealed carry permit can be obtained through an online test, there is no reason for bar patrons or professors to be carrying weapons of any kind at all.

This trend of Virginia lawmakers attempting to permit ordinary citizens to carry firearms in places where weapons don't belong is a dangerous one.

RILEY CASH
    RADFORD
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

The signatory location says enough...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    It is actually degenerating my brain cells as I read this. In fact there is no original thought behind anything the Roanoke times allows in their op ed columns.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Another anti who thinks "unarmed victim zones" work and that recent State gun rights law changes will result in more danger, because permitting "ordinary citizens to carry firearms in places where weapons don't belong is ... dangerous ...."

Negative press has exaggerated Quadfest event - Roanoke.com
    So what about at VA Tech when a gunman didn't care about carrying where "weapons don't belong" and killed 32 people? What a moron.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

In a state where a concealed carry permit can be obtained through an online test, there is no reason for bar patrons or professors to be carrying weapons of any kind at all.
    ... other than saving their lives at the hands of violent attackers.

It's hard to say that people who educate others are not worthy of being citizens with the same right to effectively defend themselves against crime. It's also hard to say that people who choose to have a drink now and then are similarly unworthy. Though, it seems pretty easy for this person to have said it. Much tougher to justify saying it.

Of course, EVERYONE has a right to have the ability to effectively defend against criminals. Shouldn't matter that a person happens to be sitting at a given location or has a certain occupation. Every citizen has this right, in this country. That liberty is part of being a citizen. Even sheep with their eyes closed should be able to appreciate that the ability to defend against crime is a good thing.

This trend of Virginia lawmakers attempting to permit ordinary citizens to carry firearms in places where weapons don't belong is a dangerous one.
    What is truly dangerous is the appalling arrogance that temporary legislators have, and the prescience they think they have, about when and where criminals will strike dangerous. Their crystal balls are as defective as the ones sent to everyone else in this world. Nobody knows when or where crime will occur, nor how violent it will be, nor whether a person is going to need effective, powerful means to withstand violence perpetrated against them. Temporary legislators are taking an awful lot on themselves to be dictating that educators do not have the right to defend themselves effectively, or that people who choose to have a social drink with friends are to be disallowed from preparing themselves against the possibility of violent crime as is the right of every citizen.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Criminals carry guns illegally whenever or wherever they want with no regard for the law. Guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens are nothing to fear.

You can remove guns from the streets and you will still have a crime problem. Remove criminals from the streets and you won't have a gun problem.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Professors with guns in their classrooms?
    I'll bet there are a few VA Tech professors who could have used a some...
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 5th, 2010 at 06:05 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    And what is wrong, I ask you, with the wild west? People were much more polite, women were treated with respect, right there next to horses in order of importance. Yep, those were the good old days!

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    And what is wrong, I ask you, with the wild west? People were much more polite, women were treated with respect, right there next to horses in order of importance. Yep, those were the good old days!
    yeah really.. what is with this? what did i miss and could someone actually show me where people get the idea that the wild west was a bad time? they didn't live back in that time.. there are no live videos from that time.. there are no records in the record books that say anything backing their claims up.. so i ask, where do they get their information? is it from movies? i'm seriously confused here folks.. i can understand (though i don't agree with them) almost all the arguments anti's put up against guns. but this wild west one baffles me the most.

Quote Originally Posted by beaker View Post
    yeah really.. what is with this? what did i miss and could someone actually show me where people get the idea that the wild west was a bad time? they didn't live back in that time.. there are no live videos from that time.. there are no records in the record books that say anything backing their claims up.. so i ask, where do they get their information? is it from movies? i'm seriously confused here folks.. i can understand (though i don't agree with them) almost all the arguments anti's put up against guns. but this wild west one baffles me the most.
    +1

I watched a documentary on the early settlement of the west on the history channel. It has been a couple years ago so I am unable to remember which show and when, however, the historians speaking on the show refuted the idea that everyday was a shootout. Their claim was that violence was relatively low in comparison to today and that they believed Hollywood was behind many ideas of how the old west was. I know this means little without references of some sort, but I remembered that part of the show standing out to me.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Ah the wild west! Wasn't near as messed up then as now. I'm old enough now and still have one Grandmother that tells me yes things were tough back in the those days. She was born in 1918. At least what she can recall people helped people without expecting anything in return and people pretty much knew where they stood. Today we are a very complicated bunch. Bless her heart she just takes it in stride. I try to follow her example. Big Try! Have a hard time with that one..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

after reading this thread it sparked a lot of interest in me to actually read up on some stuff about the old west. not surprisingly, your statement, willie, is substantiated in almost every thing i've read. that hollywood mainly perpetuated this injustice on the old west. but, also ,what i've read is, the party most responsible were the rich easterners from that time. and hollywood just saw it as entertainment value... or propaganda.. you choose.

anyways. i kinda took this a little off topic here. i apologize. was just confused about the old west and why it was looked at as such a violent place.

Well, he's definitely entitled to his opinion, asinine as it may be.

His arguments are based on emotion and definitely not based in fact. But Mr. Cash of Radford is certainly entitled to let all the readers see his stupidity and draw their own conclusions.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

My tag line about explains this one!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

The real funny thing is that the author of this article was complaining that Virginia was turning into the Wild West but that mythical culture never was portrayed as concerned with "concealing" anything.

Oh wait...Virginia is an Open-Carry state...so it already IS the Wild West.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links