Ex-Army Officer: Nation's gun cancer spreads - Page 4

Ex-Army Officer: Nation's gun cancer spreads

This is a discussion on Ex-Army Officer: Nation's gun cancer spreads within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; But, you see, if you want to be somebody, and get invited to the right media and dinner parties in Washington, D.C., you must adapt ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    But, you see, if you want to be somebody, and get invited to the right media and dinner parties in Washington, D.C., you must adapt and adjust and gain their trust. You can have P.C. fun, but not with guns, if you want to last and not be an outcast...even if you are a joke to most flyover-country folks.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Another educated idiot
    Some people are "Educated" beyond their level of intellegence.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions (at all) about someone's beliefs regarding gun ownership, etc., based on their service career, the branch they served in or whether they served at all. The little bit of research stuff I've seen indicates only a slight difference between views of military personnel and civilian personnel. My own 23 year military career definitely supports that idea...the military population is large enough and drawn from such a cross section of the country that it closely reflects the general population. I believe the research I saw or read about was conducted 30 years ago by one of the military academies, but I'm confident it would still hold up today.

Folks who feel the world is safer if the citizenry abdicates its right to defend itself, and empowers only hired 'professionals' to bear that burden...are everywhere. After all, it allows us to a) avoid development of any courage, and b) blame someone else when things do go the way we want them to.

My military career, in its entirety, was spent sitting in air-conditioned comfort either thinking about weapons or figuring out how to develop them, not using them or figuring out how to survive a shortage of them. This life of ease in no way diluted my commitment to learning how to use a weapon or my willingness to do so. The many tragedies that come from the misuse of firearms, the horrors of weapons used in war and the cancer of firearms violence in our society are all things that make folks point to the firearm as the problem. I'm truly dumbfounded by such naivete and ignorance.

As for ex-military personnel not choosing to own a firearm...I have no problem with that, really. It's a choice, and that's a fine choice they have to make. Don't make it my choice, however.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

Baloney.... I have a lot of letters that I've read , and writings from our founders in books, that says they are WRONG..... it was not for the purposes of a militia.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    people who want to murder others will find ways - firearm or not. Take note of the Happy Land Fire, 87 killed with a gallon of gasoline:

Happy Land fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let's ban gasoline!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    He should just leave it alone and keep quiet in my book pure and simple.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

To be a "source" or an "expert", with any credibility, at least on TV, you see, you have to at least be a LTC or General Officer retiree, usually with a combat record. And then, with your media friends, you can seem or sound like you are smart and can maybe make your nonsense seem or sound like it is sane and sensible, at least in D.C. or on Manhattan Island. A non-combat lieutenant is not such or much of a source, of course.

This guy is a mega-tool. People like him should not be listened to by anybody.

The original article is all jacked up. The thread has been great, especially the discussions about military and firearms. Lots of gun owners in my reserve unit, both O and E. At any rate, his arguments concerning baseball bats, longbows, and axes don't hold water. Suppose someone attacks me with a machete...has he seen the horrific wounds a machete can cause? Or the distance with which an expert can shoot a longbow? Why shouldn't I be able to protect myself with a firearm? Should I be compelled to go toe to toe with an ax-wielding maniac because he thinks guns are bad? Idiot. I have ZERO problem with his military service; in fact, I congratulate him on it and admire him for it. I DO have a problem with him fashioning himself as some kind of firearms expert simply because he was in the Army. Ridiculous.

During WWII, the US lost slightly less than 400,000 men KIA. In Rwanda in 1994 [?], about 400,000 Hutus and/or Tutsis [who cares?] murdered each other, mostly with machetes. Guns are more humane and cause less pain.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links