TN 'bar carry' passed into law

This is a discussion on TN 'bar carry' passed into law within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's looking good. On Thursday, May 27, the Tennessee Senate is expected to address last week’s veto of Senate Bill 3012 by Governor Phil Bredesen ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: TN 'bar carry' passed into law

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar

Tennessee Senate Expected to Address Veto Override on Thursday

It's looking good.

On Thursday, May 27, the Tennessee Senate is expected to address last week’s veto of Senate Bill 3012 by Governor Phil Bredesen (D). The Senate will consider overriding the Governor’s veto during the unfinished business portion of the Senate Calendar.

Sponsored by State Senator Doug Jackson (D-25) and State Representative Curry Todd (R-95), SB 3012 would have allowed a person who has a valid right-to-carry permit to carry a firearm for self-defense in restaurants where alcohol may be served, as long as the permit holder is not consuming alcohol or is not otherwise prohibited by posting provisions.

A veto override is critical, but due to rules adopted by the Tennessee General Assembly, the State Senate must address the veto override, before the House can take action. With only a handful of legislative days remaining in both the Senate and House, it is critical that the Senate take up the veto override Thursday.

Please continue to visit the NRA-ILA website for updates.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

vetoed by senate
    Tennessee General Assembly Legislation
    house should veto it wednesday
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

VIP Member
    friesepferd, you mean that the senate voted to override the governor's veto, today - and we expect the house to override next.
    Thanks for the link.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Hope it turns out good.

Our Legislature had to over-ride several Governor vetos, until Obama took her to Washington (Sebellius) ... boy were we glad. The new Gov is "anti" , but he just doesn't sign them and lets them automatically become law.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    friesepferd, you mean that the senate voted to override the governor's veto, today - and we expect the house to override next.
    Thanks for the link.

Does the session end June 2?...the calendar is empty with exception of one more day mid-June....

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Can't say this surprises me. He's a Dem for one. I also thought deadline was yesterday. Been watching it all day and havn't seen anything related to it. NRA-ILA website doesn't even have anything posted on it yet. This is first word I've heard from you here.

Don't know what Tennessee's problem is. They need to get with the program.

To be fair. A "Dem" as you put it was the sponsor of this law.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

There is also a sizable number of pro-2nd Amendment Democrats in both Houses of the Legislature who are very active in fighting for our rights in Tenn. If it weren't for them we would not have overridden the Governor's veto last year. And they will push the override this year.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

Quote Originally Posted by waynesan View Post
    There is also a sizable number of pro-2nd Amendment Democrats in both Houses of the Legislature who are very active in fighting for our rights in Tenn. If it weren't for them we would not have overridden the Governor's veto last year. And they will push the override this year.
    TN is a different animal in this respect compared to most states.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Does the session end June 2?...the calendar is empty with exception of one more day mid-June....
    Sorry, mrjam, I don't know the specifics. Local news and my representative give the impression that this is a slam-dunk this week. So I am confident that the house overrides the veto this Wednesday, June 2.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

From what I'm told, the House will give 24 hour notice on Wed. that the override vote will be taken on Thursday. ( 24 hour notice is required for veto override votes) Then on Thursday the vote will be taken, and if passed will take effect either immediately or as soon as the Secretary of State signs the bill which should be Thursday or Friday.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

Good luck guys!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Outstanding!

Bredeson is the type that has future political aspirations. If he feels that vetoing the bill is the right way to go fine...but in his comments he slammed the state legislature stating he could not understand why they spent time on the "carry in bars", as he and the media double speak it, and supporting Arizona enforcing emigration law! Obviously he has lost touch with what the people of the state that elected those legislators want accomplished and/or he has decided "we the people" are just too stupid to know what is the "right" thing to do...It will not go forgotten when he reenters the arena.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

VIP Member
    Bredesen is being disingenuous. He says he can't support this bill in spite of his NRA-cited promise to sign a restaurant-carry bill. His reason is that "alcohol and guns don't mix".
    The senate sponsor of the bill, Jackson, says every member of the senate agrees with that sentiment. He says that's why the bill increases penalties for a person who carries and "consumes one drop of alcohol."

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waynesan View Post
    Yep. A lot of people don't realize that there are actually some really good Democrats here in the South. Granted, they're more prone to fall on the liberal, leftist bandwagon after getting to Washington than Republicans are, but the libs give them all a bad name.

There are also some very leftist Republicans out there.

That's why I vote Libertarian.

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links