TN 'bar carry' passed into law

This is a discussion on TN 'bar carry' passed into law within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Didn't see this posted anywhere yes, I appologise if it has been. Yesterday SB 3012 Jackson/HB 3125 Todd. passed and its now onto the gov'ner. ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Didn't see this posted anywhere yes, I appologise if it has been.
    Yesterday SB 3012 Jackson/HB 3125 Todd. passed and its now onto the gov'ner. I'm sure it will be signed.

For those of you who don't know, last year TN passed legislation which would allow permit holders to carry in restaraunts, but not bars. It was ruled too vague since TN has no way to distinguish resteraunts from bars. This new bill allows carry in any place that serves alcohol.
    In addition some new penalties for carrying and drinking, which I have no problem with, and some additional info on what 'no gun' signs are valid. ($500 fine for carrying in a posted location if caught)
    Very happy about this bill! I can now safely eat at applebees again
    Still wish they would get rid of the no gun sign stuff, but we are doing good here in TN and very happy about this bill for sure!

edit: and like the last bill, this one passed in both houses by about a 2/3 majority
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Good for Tenn. Ours goes into effect July 1. I'll be interesting to see how the anti gun folks react.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Outstanding!

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Awesome!
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Glad to hear there are more sensible laws being written and passed in this great country.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

First I'd heard of it. Glad you posted that, because I just got that same huge smile on my face as I did the first time it passed.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

haha yep. i have been smiley all day!
    was so bummed when last one got rejected due to vagueness.
    like i said, im sure it will get signed. if it doesnt, it only takes majority to override a veto, so wont be a problem, just more waiting
    Georg Büchner

Congrats!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Can't wait!

How long after the Gov signs it till it's effective?

The Governor has until on or about the 18th to sign this bill. If he chooses to veto it, it will take a majority vote to override his veto. The question is not whether we have the votes (we do) as it was overridden last year by sizable majorities. The problem is the timing. If he waits until the last minute to veto, we will be pushing up to the last few days of the legislative session. And if there is not enough time to get the House and Senate together and override the veto before they break up for this session, well, its back to like we are now and start all over again in January.

Do your part and call his office at 1-615-741-2001 and/or email him at Phil.Bredesen@tn.gov and tell him you support SB3012 and encourage him to sign it into law.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

Good JOB for Virginia and Tennessee.

Here in Tennessee we expect the bill to die on Bredeson's desk. he will hold it until too late for legislature to reconvene. If it goes into effect at all it will be during next session of legislature or new governor takes action.

We are not jumping up and down celebrating , it will be a while yet before we can carry into restaurants. And then most of them will post.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

from what i have heard he expects to veto it before he leaves (going to china i think?). If this is the case we will be able to overturn it in time without a problem. If he is in town for some reason until the end of the 10 days and vetos it on the 10th day it would be a bit harder.
    Georg Büchner

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Here's an email I sent to Governor Bredesen today. I encourage all Tennesseans to let him hear your voice as well...

Governor Bredesen,

As a lifelong Tennessean and TN handgun carry permit holder, I'm asking you to sign HB3125 in to law. Please consider the scrutiny that each permit holder has undergone with local, state and federal background checks. I understand the responsibility of arming myself for personal protection and do not feel it is fair to dis-arm to have dinner with my family at a restaurant such as Applebee's or Red Lobster.

Criminals have no boundaries and can strike anywhere at anytime. Banning the law-abiding citizen from protecting himself in these types of establishments only gives the criminal element fertile ground to choose his next victim.

Governor Bredesen, again, I urge you to sign HB3125 in to law.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
    Proud NRA member

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    haha yep. i have been smiley all day!
    was so bummed when last one got rejected due to vagueness.
    like i said, im sure it will get signed. if it doesnt, it only takes majority to override a veto, so wont be a problem, just more waiting
    Friesepferd, the good news is that we actually got a good statute due to it being thrown out before.

NRA says Bredesen has til Monday to sign it. I'm guessing it goes into law without his signature if he ignores it. If he vetoes it like last time, we'll have to wait on the legislature to override the veto again.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links