Carrying a gun while intoxicated could lead to jail time

This is a discussion on Carrying a gun while intoxicated could lead to jail time within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; (He must be referring to a pending introduction to the City Council.) It’ll be dubbed CWI – Carrying While Intoxicated. Licensed gun holders will face ...

Thread: Carrying a gun while intoxicated could lead to jail time

Carrying a gun while intoxicated could lead to jail time

(He must be referring to a pending introduction to the City Council.)

It’ll be dubbed CWI – Carrying While Intoxicated.

Licensed gun holders will face possible prison sentences if they are caught carrying while drunk under a new regulations proposed by Mayor Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Kelly.

The CWI legislation is part of a package of improvements announced by Bloomberg yesterday designed he said to streamline the NYPD’s license application process allowing New Yorkers seeking handguns, rifles and shotguns in the Big Apple.

The Mayor said the changes – some requiring City Council approval -- will free-up the NYPD to focus more resources on background investigations of prospective weapon holders.

“We’ve streamlined our system to make certain the those who should be approved for gun licenses are dealt with expeditiously while making certain we keep guns out of the hands of those who pose a danger to themselves or others,” added Commissioner Kelly.

“If automobiles are dangerous with a drunken driver behind the wheel, it should be obvious and subject to tough penalties when a drunk puts a gun in his hand,” he said pointing out that gun holders caught drunk would also faced losing their license.

Among other changes to begin this July will be the acceptance of credit cards for license renewal fees and establishing evening hours once a week.

LINK

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    If the penalties for "CWI" are the same as those for "DWI", I'll actually give him this one.

And I think the DWI penalties should actually be more stringent given the amount of accidents caused by repeat offenders...
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrreynolds View Post
    (He must be referring to a pending introduction to the City Council.)

It’ll be dubbed CWI – Carrying While Intoxicated.

Licensed gun holders will face possible prison sentences if they are caught carrying while drunk under a new regulations proposed by Mayor Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Kelly.

The CWI legislation is part of a package of improvements announced by Bloomberg yesterday designed he said to streamline the NYPD’s license application process allowing New Yorkers seeking handguns, rifles and shotguns in the Big Apple.

The Mayor said the changes – some requiring City Council approval -- will free-up the NYPD to focus more resources on background investigations of prospective weapon holders.

We’ve streamlined our system to make certain the those who should be approved for gun licenses are dealt with expeditiously while making certain we keep guns out of the hands of those who pose a danger to themselves or others,” added Commissioner Kelly.

“If automobiles are dangerous with a drunken driver behind the wheel, it should be obvious and subject to tough penalties when a drunk puts a gun in his hand,” he said pointing out that gun holders caught drunk would also faced losing their license.

Among other changes to begin this July will be the acceptance of credit cards for license renewal fees and establishing evening hours once a week.

LINK

This is the part I have a problem with, the vast majority are supposedly found to be "those who pose a danger to themselves or others". I don't understand how anyone "wins" with MAY ISSUE.

I am surprised to find out there wasn't already something of this sort on the books in such a place. It's not a bad thing, just a way to push through something else they want. I think they are making a big deal out of this as a way to distract us from what else is contained in the "legislation that is part of a package of improvements ".
    Last edited by sigmanluke; May 15th, 2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: grammar
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I hate being on Bloombergs side when it comes to firearms, but, I kind of agree with this one. If someone is hammered, they probably shouldn't be in possession of a gun. OMO
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I disagree period!

I carry and I get very drunk sometimes. When I am highly drunk I am not carrying. If you give him an inch hes gonna take a light-year. The wording is what will worry me.

If they find you drunk or intoxicated and find out that you have a license to carry and even if you don't have the weapon on you then they could take your license. It could turn out to be that gray.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

In Nevada its your not allowed to have a gun in your possession if your intoxicated. My buddy was pulled over for suspected DUI a couple years ago and he had his rifle in his truck. He had a beer or two, but was far from over the limit, but he was speeding, alot. and they confiscated the rifle. It was unloaded, in fact, he had shot his last round that morning while we were out hunting. They also took a couple knives from me, a pocket knife and a bigger skinning knife I had in my hunting pack. It was MONTHS before we got any of it back.

As far as CCW while drunk. Some people are able to handle it. More would not.

I was curious of the actual law here so I looked it up
    NRS 202.257: 1. It is unlawful for a person who:
    (a) Has a concentration of alcohol of 0.10 or more in his or her blood or breath
    Life is a game of chance, be prepared to throw down when its time to dance. If your young, enjoy it cuz your youth is gold and never waste time every single day you grow old. written is a page in the book for you, with hard times and bad luck to see what you will do.

So does that law apply to LEO's as well,if a cop gets drunk while carrying off duty are you saying he gives up his gun rights and therefore loses his job.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Intoxicated and gun in hand=trouble in FL. Gun in holster is okay, but not very smart.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    I disagree period!

If they find you drunk or intoxicated and find out that you have a license to carry and even if you don't have the weapon on you then they could take your license. It could turn out to be that gray.
    right, maybe however how its writen and proposed

overall though a good idea

In NYC, going after people with pistol permits who carry while intoxicated is about as useful as going after people who drive barefoot.

There are so few permits granted in NYC, how does this even register above noise level as a problem? It would make more sense from a public safety standpoint to go after intoxicated pedestrians. Typical grandstanding by poop-for-brains Bloomberg.

But in a city where shopkeepers are fined for leaving their doors open when they have AC running, I'm not surprised. This is hardly man-bites-dog news. What would be newsworthy would be a Project Exile-type program in NYC, where bad guys using guns are actually prosecuted without the gun charges being plea-bargained down.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    In NYC, going after people with pistol permits who carry while intoxicated is about as useful as going after people who drive barefoot.

There are so few permits granted in NYC, how does this even register above noise level as a problem? It would make more sense from a public safety standpoint to go after intoxicated pedestrians. Typical grandstanding by poop-for-brains Bloomberg.

Exactly my thought. How do you create a law against people that don't really exist...licensed firearm carriers....in NYC???

Under the Leosa act former and current LEO's can carry in NYC,I'm wondering if they are going after any outsiders that can legally carry,but as soon as they have a few drinks they can be arrested
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links