Bloomberg Plan Would Simplify Gun-Permits

This is a discussion on Bloomberg Plan Would Simplify Gun-Permits within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Bloomberg administration announced on Friday that it was moving to simplify the process for New Yorkers to obtain gun permits, thus speeding up a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloomberg Plan Would Simplify Gun-Permits

The Bloomberg administration announced on Friday that it was moving to simplify the process for New Yorkers to obtain gun permits, thus speeding up a set of byzantine licensing requirements that gun-rights advocates have long criticized as among the most restrictive in the country.

Administration officials said that the move was forged by a City Hall focused on efficiency and that it would allow for better investigation of applicants who might not qualify for a gun while more swiftly satisfying those fit to have them.

But the timing of the decision was curious to some, as it follows a 2008 Supreme Court ruling that struck down parts of the gun-control law in the District of Columbia and subsequent challenges to gun laws in other places.

"If I were working for the mayor in New York, in the legal department particularly, I'd be saying: 'Are we sure we can defend these laws? Are there things to do, ahead of time, that will make it easier for us to defend them?' " said Paul Helmke, the president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I would be surprised if that were not the thinking."

The announcement was an unexpected turn for Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, who has made national headlines with his efforts to take guns out of criminals' hands and stem their trafficking, like using private investigators to pose as gun buyers in sting operations and suing gun dealers in several states.

A spokesman for the mayor said on Friday that despite Mr. Bloomberg's continuing fight, he had never taken issue with legal gun ownership, a perspective that Colin Weaver, of New Yorkers Against Gun Violence, said he was in sync with.

"The mayor is focused on crime control, not gun control," said the Bloomberg spokesman, Jason Post. "He has no problem with people who want to go hunting. The issue is illegal guns that are killing people and, all too often, police officers."

In New York, the Police Department issues licenses to possess handguns, rifles and shotguns in the city, and to carry them. The application process for a handgun is laid out on the department's Web site. To get a gun, applicants must go to 1 Police Plaza. The fee is $340, not including a $94.25 fingerprint-check fee. Weeks of waiting can follow. There is also a process for license renewal.

For a residential possession permit, applicants must demonstrate that they are not prohibited from gun ownership by having, for example, a history of domestic violence or arrest or conviction. These words on the Web site highlight just how subjective disapproval for a handgun is: "If your investigation results in a determination that you lack character and fitness for a license permit, your application will be denied."

For a permit to carry a gun, the bar is higher. The prospective gun owner must "show a need," said a police spokesman. An example might be a part-time security worker.

One change outlined on Friday is geared toward transparency by having the police "offer more detailed examples of eligibility standards for a permit, and make the additional examples available both in print and online," according to a news release from the mayor's office.

Other changes include speeding up reviews of applications, reducing how many in-person visits new applicants must make, expanding ways to pay for license renewals and opening the Police Department's licensing offices one evening a week. Also, at a time when other fees are rising or staying flat, one change calls for slashing fees for most renewal licenses, but Mr. Post said no specific amounts had been proposed. He said some fees might rise.

"This package will make New Yorkers safer," he said, adding that the city was not now facing any legal challenges to its licensing system.

Andrew Arulanandam, a spokesman for the National Rifle Association, said that despite the Bloomberg administration's putting a streamlining effort in writing, history showed the city to be a place where "the only people who get licenses are the rich and famous." Alan Gura, the lead counsel for the plaintiff in the 2008 case, District of Columbia v. Heller, and a lawyer for residents of Chicago who are challenging its gun-control law, in McDonald v. Chicago, said Mr. Bloomberg's move "sounds like progress."

Whether it will protect against legal challenges is unclear, said Ilya Shapiro, a constitutional law scholar at the libertarian Cato Institute. "If the underlying regulations make it hard for someone to qualify for owning a gun, then simplifying the process is an empty action."

LINK

Senior Moderator
    Bloomberg's actual plan for simplifying gun permits:

Citizen: I'd like to apply for a gun permit.
    NY: Denied.

Very streamlined process in line with Bloomberg's fanatical anti-gun paradigm.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by mrreynolds View Post
    "The mayor is focused on crime control, not gun control," said the Bloomberg spokesman, Jason Post. "He has no problem with people who want to go hunting. The issue is illegal guns that are killing people and, all too often, police officers."LINK
    #1 This tells me they think only "civilians" should not own firearms for anything other than hunting.

#2 If civilians and police officers are getting killed by criminals with guns, why aren't law abiding citizens being encouraged to protect themselves with their own firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Bloomberg's actual plan for simplifying gun permits:

NY: Denied.

Very streamlined process in line with Bloomberg's fanatical anti-gun paradigm.
    You missed a step or two:

NY: That will be $500 for background checks, blah blah blah.
    Citizen: Here you go.
    NY: Thank you. (cha-ching!) DENIED.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    You missed a step or two:

NY: That will be $500 for background checks, blah blah blah.
    Citizen: Here you go.
    NY: Thank you. (cha-ching!) DENIED.
    Sorry MattInFla, but I think Lewis128 got it a little closer to the mark.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

i went through the hole process lucky i work nights i had to go to 1 police plaza at lest 5 times at there notice and my loses of sleep
    NRA LIFE MEMBER SCOPE MEMBER

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrreynolds View Post
    "The mayor is focused on crime control, not gun control," said the Bloomberg spokesman, Jason Post. "He has no problem with people who want to go hunting. The issue is illegal guns that are killing people and, all too often, police officers."

LINK
    Hunting....
    ...looks like he's still got a problem with normal citizens wanting to be able to defend themselves. If the issue was illegal guns, it wouldn't be so danged difficult to get permission and licensed.

I could never live there. Don't even see myself wanting to visit.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I don't trust him a bit. He's UP to something.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by dstringf View Post
    #2 If civilians and police officers are getting killed by criminals with guns, why aren't law abiding citizens being encouraged to protect themselves with their own firearm?
    Like that judge in Ohio. A county (I forget which) cut it's sheriff's department in half in terms of manpower on the street. A judge told the citizens to buy a gun and learn to use it safely to see to their own protection.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Bloomberg and his ilk are liars...

They need to be reminded that the 2A is not about hunting...[thinking bad words]
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

When someone asks about the 2A and the first(and only) response is that they support hunting, you know they don't support the 2A.

I think this is definitely an attempt to buy some time against a lawsuit, as it has been rumored elsewhere that NY and its Sullivan Law are the next targets after McDonald. When someone has to wait 6 months to a year just to have a gun in the home, that's a major issue. Their carry permit system should also be a target, but there are already cases in the pipeline(Palmer,Sykes) that can address that at SCOTUS and make it binding nationwide.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Boomberg is a lying sack of crap. He has his own agenda and it sure as heck isn't pro 2A.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I had no idea I could hunt in NYC!

Somehow the "Bloomberg Plan to Modernize Firearm Ownership and Carry" just doesn't roll off the tongue the way it should. Maybe it's the gagging.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Moderator
    $94.25 for fringerprints.

How in the heck do they justify that?

I dont even know of any agency around here that charges for fingerprints.

I just had another set done yesterday. Cost....zero. I get people fingerprinted all the time for the CHL, the cost...zero.

Just one of many ridiculous things about the process in NY.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    $94.25 for fringerprints.

How in the heck do they justify that?

[] It's the cha-ching factor justification. [/]

See Lewis128's explication above.

Rather like that NYC past time "Three card monte" a. k. a. well known con.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links