Poll re: Full Auto

This is a discussion on Poll re: Full Auto within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How does the DC population feel about the laws governing fully automatic weapons and their availability? I'll try to clarify my questions; "Readily available" in ...

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the private ownership of fully automatic weapons?

Voters
225. You may not vote on this poll
  • Readily available, with no restrictions

103 45.78%
  • Readily available, with lighter restrictions than now exist

88 39.11%
  • Keep the current system

30 13.33%
  • Decrease availability and increase restrictions

1 0.44%
  • Other

3 1.33%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poll re: Full Auto

Poll re: Full Auto

How does the DC population feel about the laws governing fully automatic weapons and their availability?

I'll try to clarify my questions;

"Readily available" in this poll means any automatic small arms weapon, no date of manufacturer restriction

"no legal restrictions" would mean no class III tax, no extra requirements other than age, nothing different than purchasing any other weapon

I personally feel that there should be no restrictions, that they should be as available as any other firearm.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

It should be the same as going down and buying a hunting rifle or shotgun. The government has no business or constitutional authority to ban ANY firearm. FA weapons are no exception and the current law should be overturned as the blatant insult to our freedoms that it is.

I don't have any problem with a law-abiding citizen owning one, me personally? Nope, you can have them.......Why?

Because I know firing in semi-auto mode I can fire more accurate shots on target than you can with your full-auto weapon. If I am at ranges within 25 yards, I use the shotgun, which concentrates more firepower than any automatic weapon can anyway.......

Besides, subguns eat up a LOT of ammo......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I want to hit what I'm aiming at! There is a reason that sniper rifles only shoot one round at a time!

However, as long as anyone prohibited from possession of a firearm, for legal reasons, can not get them I'm ok with the rest of you having them.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I think the public should be able to own them with a lot less restriction than what is currently in place.

Do I think they should be made really easy to get? Nope.

Why? Because of the havoc they can cause in the wrong hands. I know, they get into the wrong hands already but not on the scale they would be if they were readily available. What do I mean by readily available? Gun stores would have them in stock and available to thieves possibly. More of them would be on the street due to home robberies.

I am not against the public owning them but, I believe they would just be too much of a target for criminals to come after.

Do I think they are suited for much of anything ? Nope.

I wouldn't own one. I have no need for one.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I don't have the need for one--but would like one. That said--I do not object to others having them.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I really don't see what the big phobia is about full auto guns. People seem to have the idea that a select-fire gun is orders of magnitude more deadly than a semi-auto, which is just not true. I've had the pleasure of shooting a couple of machine guns, and they're great fun, but not that different than rapid fire with a semi-auto. Both are capable of putting multiple rounds on target in quick succession. Both require practice and knowledge to use effectively. Neither gives a criminal any sort of unsurmountable advantage over an armed victim. I'm sure FA has its uses and can give a person an edge in certain circumstances, but it's not the insta-kill death ray that it's made out to be.

The argument that there would be an incredible wave of killings or blood in the streets if machine guns were as readily available as their semi-auto variants doesn't hold any water with me. That's the same logic that claimed AR-15's "have no place in civilized society" and predicted armageddon when the AWB expired. Guess what - it didn't happen, and it wouldn't happen even if Academy carried M16's and Tommy guns.

If the classes of firearms established by NFA '34 were done away with and all guns and gun purchases were done the same way, you can be sure I'd upgrade all my AR's into M16's in a heartbeat. Not because FA is so incredibly more deadly, but because I'd rather have the capability than not. Better to have and not need and all that. On the other hand, as things are today, I don't think myself poorly armed just because my rifles only go bang once per trigger pull.

It just seems silly to me to single out machine guns as the great bugaboo of all firearms. They're the same guns we all own, with an extra part or two. Every argument against machine guns can be used equally well against any firearm, right down to a single-shot muzzle-loader, if you try hard enough. The worries about theft, kids finding them, straw buyers buying them, ending up "on the street", etc are all just re-hashes of the arguments against any gun ownership at all.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

I don't have a problem with them being legal and unrestricted.

However, give me a tripod and a T&E mechanism, and I will demonstrate to all those who doubt the incredible amount of destructive capability full-auto gives over semi-.

Seriously. In the right hands, full-auto is tremendously destructive.

If you can afford to feed em go for it,the novelty wears off quick,Even troops in combat seldom use FA,ammo conservation is important,so aimed semi auto shots will get the job done
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post

However, give me a tripod and a T&E mechanism, and I will demonstrate to all those who doubt the incredible amount of destructive capability full-auto gives over semi-.

A fixed mounted gun is one of the situations where full auto would be more useful than semi, I agree. But when's the last time you heard of someone being robbed by a guy with an M1919 on a tripod?

Almost all of the worries about loosening machine gun restrictions deal with their use by criminals in hold-ups, bank robberies, home invasions, and other scenarios where the differences between FA and SA are much less than what you pointed out.

I would think that belt-fed mounted MG's are probably the least likely to be used in any nefarious ways, simply because of their cost (even de-regulated cost), weight, and bulk.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I don't see why they should be restricted so much I mean really... They are expensive as all get out and owning one entitles the ATF by law to anal probe you any time they want... To those that can afford one is typically denied the license to own it or harassed by the ATF once they get one

The only thing I think would probably be a good idea (requirement wise) would be a class to teach people HOW to shoot a full auto. It isn't infringing on anybody's rights just a safety class.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    While it would be fun to rip off a few autofire mags, I could hardly afford to feed it ammo.

I have no problem with someone who wishes to pay some rediculous fee to own an automatic firearms and can afford to "let 'er rip!" More power (powder?) to them.

But if full-autos are made more available, the reality is, through time and thief, they'll find their way into the criminal element of our populace in greater numbers than they are already.

I have enough worries about facing a BG holding an 18-shot semi-auto pistol. I don't need to add more full-autos to the mix.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member

re: Bob The Great

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    I really don't see what the big phobia is about full auto guns. People seem to have the idea that a select-fire gun is orders of magnitude more deadly than a semi-auto, which is just not true.
    If this were actually a correct statement then military weapons wouldn't be full auto. In point of fact, full auto gives a huge advantage, and full auto was responsible for successes in the Spanish American war (Think Gatling Gun) and in WWI and all subsequent wars. Think of the 50 caliber MG. Think of the Uzi and similar in full auto mode.

I see no reason to expose our police to the potential of having to deal with heavy suppressing fire from BGs. Their job is tough enough as it is.

Right now there are few crimes done with these weapons because they are rarely available to the general public, and so very expensive that folks make sure they stay locked up in safes.

I do think there is something wrong with the way we limit availability through a very high tax, making them available to the wealthy only, when perhaps other criteria should be used and the tax done away with. For example, if someone owns a commercial gun range appropriately outfitted, I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to keep some around for the "amusement" of their clients.

If we let FA get into the general circulation of the existing illegal gun traffic we will have the dickens to pay for our own stupidity.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I have no problem with full auto, but I think there should be restrictions on crew served weapons (automatic or otherwise).
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I really don't see what the big phobia is about full auto guns. People seem to have the idea that a select-fire gun is orders of magnitude more deadly than a semi-auto, which is just not true.
    True to a point. A thirty round magazine spits out thirty rounds. How fast it gets spit out is different and how well each round is aimed is different. So, you either have very fast thirty rounds of inaccurate fire or very fast thirty rounds of deadly fire.

I've had the pleasure of shooting a couple of machine guns, and they're great fun, but not that different than rapid fire with a semi-auto.
    Only by a few hundred more rounds per minute.

Both are capable of putting multiple rounds on target in quick succession. Both require practice and knowledge to use effectively. Neither gives a criminal any sort of insurmountable advantage over an armed victim. I'm sure FA has its uses and can give a person an edge in certain circumstances, but it's not the insta-kill death ray that it's made out to be.
    In the hands of inexperienced criminals and gangbangers it would become a machine for spraying even more inaccurate fire all through a neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post

And in the wrong hands they can be just as destructive.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links