NYSRPA Opposes Recently-Passed Microstamping Bill

This is a discussion on NYSRPA Opposes Recently-Passed Microstamping Bill within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The New York State Assembly has once again embraced feel-good gun legislation that will most likely at great expense do nothing to make New Yorkers ...

Thread: NYSRPA Opposes Recently-Passed Microstamping Bill

NYSRPA Opposes Recently-Passed Microstamping Bill

The New York State Assembly has once again embraced feel-good gun legislation that will most likely at great expense do nothing to make New Yorkers safer or apprehend criminals. The recently-passed bill requires all semi-automatic pistols manufactured or sold in the state to be capable of microstamping ammunition. Independent research (including a study conducted by the Suffolk County Crime Laboratory in Hauppauge, NY) has found microstamping technology to be ineffective and easily defeated. Moreover, this is single-source technology; its true cost to manufacturers and consumers is totally unknown.

We have gone down this road before. The CoBis database of cartridge cases was promoted as a state-of-the-art crime fighting tool when it was implemented in March of 2001. To date it has yet to help solve a single crime and at a cost exceeding $30 million. Microstamping is simply more of the same. The NYSRPA urges New York's gun owners to contact their State Senators and ask them to reject this expensive lunacy.

[LINK]

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I emailed my Senator the other day.

I wrote my state Senator.

My local legislator voted for it but I'm almost certain he never read it. When it comes to anything anti-2nd amendment he is a rubber stamp.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Makes me glad I don't live in NY anymore. It's really too bad the state is run by people who think that way, because it is a beautiful place full of great people. This kind of stuff is just disgustingly stupid though.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    Makes me glad I don't live in NY anymore. It's really too bad the state is run by people who think that way, because it is a beautiful place full of great people. This kind of stuff is just disgustingly stupid though.
    Living in HI? LOL, that's laughable, at best. But I agree with you. The people that run the state are complete buffoons. How can one be so oblivious to fail to notice the disconnect with enacting yet more laws to prevent the violation of current law?
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    Living in HI? LOL, that's laughable, at best.
    Well, in my defense, I'm in the Air Force and I kind of have to go where they tell me. You know how it is. Whenever I get out I hope to move to Maine. But yes, I can definitely see where you would laugh at me on that one. I will say this for HI, we don't have an AWB and we don't have a microstamping law here, so at least there's that...

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    Well, in my defense, I'm in the Air Force and I kind of have to go where they tell me. You know how it is.
    Drafted in 1972 so I fully understand your situation :). And no, I did not and never claimed to have gone to Vietnam (just had to throw that in).

NY is in total chaos when it comes to laws that allow citizens an effective means of self-defense, especially downstate. This is true even for the most law abiding among us, pistol license holders, that in NYC can't even venture out of their house with a loaded firearm to go to the range. You can be arrested for simply carrying a Spyderco Delica knife.

It's total nonsense as it is and they continue to try year after year to pile on. Incredible!
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrreynolds View Post
    The New York State Assembly has once again embraced feel-good gun legislation that will most likely at great expense do nothing to make New Yorkers safer or apprehend criminals. The recently-passed bill requires all semi-automatic pistols manufactured or sold in the state to be capable of microstamping ammunition. Independent research (including a study conducted by the Suffolk County Crime Laboratory in Hauppauge, NY) has found microstamping technology to be ineffective and easily defeated. Moreover, this is single-source technology; its true cost to manufacturers and consumers is totally unknown.

I have not read when this is to go into effect. The CA micro stamping law was to begin 2010 but I have not heard anything about it either.
    I am wondering how this will play out. This is proprietary technology. It is not a monopoly though unless the process is patented.

We have gone down this road before. The CoBis database of cartridge cases was promoted as a state-of-the-art crime fighting tool when it was implemented in March of 2001. To date it has yet to help solve a single crime and at a cost exceeding $30 million. Microstamping is simply more of the same. The NYSRPA urges New York's gun owners to contact their State Senators and ask them to reject this expensive lunacy.

The idea of micro stamping a primer is a bad idea but requiring a second micro stamp on new cartridges makes no sense at all. The numbers will never match. What's the point?
    While you are writing your state senator, also write to the CA Dem senator who is proposing a similar Federal law.

[LINK]
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Links