Mexican President is asking for a revival of the U.S. assault weapons ban

This is a discussion on Mexican President is asking for a revival of the U.S. assault weapons ban within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mexico President Felipe Calderon Barack Obama Congress drug wars assault weapon ban | PressDemocrat.com Mexican President Felipe Calderón has shown courage in leading his government ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mexican President is asking for a revival of the U.S. assault weapons ban

Mexico President Felipe Calderon Barack Obama Congress drug wars assault weapon ban | PressDemocrat.com

Mexican President Felipe Calderón has shown courage in leading his government to take on the violent drug gangs that have claimed thousands of Mexican lives. On Thursday, he displayed a different kind of fortitude: standing before a joint meeting of Congress and asking for a revival of the U.S. assault weapons ban. The Obama administration, which has been largely absent in the fight against the illegal gun trade, should have such backbone.

Calderón, who was in Washington for a state visit, made a powerful case. Over the past three years, Mexican authorities have seized some 75,000 weapons used in crimes; more than 80 percent of those they were able to trace came from the United States. Calderón argued that the surge in violent, cartel-related crimes coincided with the 2004 repeal of the U.S. assault weapons ban.

“I fully respect, I admire the American Constitution,” Calderón said. “And I understand that the purpose of the Second Amendment is to guarantee good American citizens the ability to defend themselves and their nation. But believe me, many of these guns are not going to honest American hands.”
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I believe "El Presidente" needs to establish an effective assault gun ban in Mexico and clean up his own backyard before he starts telling us how to conduct ourselves.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I believe "El Presidente" needs to establish an effective assault gun ban in Mexico and clean up his own backyard before he starts telling us how to conduct ourselves.
    +1
    this is exactly who our goverment should be listening to. Look what a wonderfull job he's done on his own country.
    (sarcasas off)

Exactly. If Mexico could get it's own act together, then perhaps it's citizens would be fleeing the country (and illegally entering ours) like rats off a sinking ship.

Brian

Mexican authorities have seized some 75,000 weapons used in crimes; more than 80 percent of those they were able to trace came from the United States.
    I wonder how many were given to the mexican army and then sold to the cartels by the corrupt soldiers?
    “I fully respect, I admire the American Constitution,” Calderón said.
    Good, then start respecting our borders.
    We wouldn't want Americans shooting back now, would we?

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I wonder how many were given to the mexican army and then sold to the cartels by the corrupt soldiers
    That's the point right there, that and the thousands that we poured in the Central America! Yes I can believe that 60% originate from the U.S., but just how many came illegally across "our" boarder and not from their southern boarder? Or from within? That I would like to know!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Well sure - the illegals coming here from El Presidente's country are not only sending money back to MX, but weapons as well. They're disarmed in their country - well, except for the bad guys.....

al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    And the Democratics stood and applauded. Imagine that!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The U.S. should implement a Mexican President ban...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If the US would simply seal off the borders - all this concern about assault weapons, illegal gun smuggling, and mistreatment of his country's refugees would be moot!

Take back control at the ballot box! November, people!
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

Our rights are not negotiable.

That is what our "leaders" in Congress should say to him. If they can't say that to another head of state...then our "leaders" should find other employment.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Ever wonder why no one ever asks the Mexican President what measures his country takes to control his southern border? Would love to hear a response to that question on the evening news.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    We had better start turning things around this November election or we will have this a reality and more gun control to come. Only solution is to vote all the anti-gunners out of Congress. People complain about one thing yet do nothing about it. And there are still gunowners out there that don't vote or join some pro-gun organization (am an NRA/GOA member and registered voter). It's time we 'd rather walk the walk than just talk the talk.

And the Democratics stood and applauded. Imagine that!
    Lol you can always tell when they are about to, Its when Nancy shoots out of her cheer flailing her arms to clap xD
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

El Presidente and the banditos are just looking to create a "path of least resistance".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links