PA - Castle Doctrine leaves committee finally!

This is a discussion on PA - Castle Doctrine leaves committee finally! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; NRA-ILA :: Pennsylvania: Castle Doctrine Passes out of Judiciary Committee And 3 anti-gun bills (1043, 1044 & 1045) were killed too It's a good day ...

Thread: PA - Castle Doctrine leaves committee finally!

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Exclamation PA - Castle Doctrine leaves committee finally!

NRA-ILA :: Pennsylvania: Castle Doctrine Passes out of Judiciary Committee

And 3 anti-gun bills (1043, 1044 & 1045) were killed too It's a good day for PA. Castle Doctrine has been held up in committee many times now, it finally got out! The votes are there in the house and senate, and I believe even enough votes to over ride Slick Eddies veto if it comes to that. Looks like PA may have Castle Doctrine sooner then later

On Tuesday, May 25, the House Judiciary Committee successfully passed HB40, Castle Doctrine legislation, which will now head to the House floor for consideration. The committee also defeated three anti-gun bills (HB1043, HB1044 and HB1045).

House Bill 40, sponsored by State Representative Scott Perry (R-92), would permit law-abiding citizens to use force, including deadly force, against an attacker in their homes and any places outside of their home where they have a legal right to be. It is clearly stated that there would be no “duty to retreat” from an attacker, allowing law-abiding citizens to stand their ground to protect themselves and their family. HB40 would also protect individuals from civil lawsuits by the attacker or the attacker’s family when force is used.

House Bill 1043 would have created a new Bureau of Illegal Firearms Trafficking or a “Firearm Trafficking Czar” in the Office of the Pennsylvania Attorney General. Passage of this bill had the potential to establish yet another anti-gun biased bureaucratic agency within the state government.

House Bill 1044 would have gutted Pennsylvania’s firearm preemption statute which currently allows only the State Legislature to enact laws pertaining to firearms. Without a state preemption law, the result would have been a complex patchwork of restrictions that change from one local jurisdiction to the next.

House Bill 1045 would have brought California-style gun-control to the Keystone State and ultimately banned many semi-automatic firearms commonly owned by Pennsylvanians.

2. Remove Ads

An important step for PA citizens...especially the exemption from civil lawsuit...Go PA!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 29th, 2010 at 08:23 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm guilty of not staying up to speed with legislation, this sounds like a good deal. Now because of my ignorance can someone tell me what the bill is that everyone is freaking about supposedly taxing every gun every year and the blue print of your house and all. How is that holding up? I don't know all the ins and outs.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Thumbs up

Great news! We still have so many liberal judges in PA to vote out in addition to this.But its a good sign....

Smile

[QUOTE=Pro2A;1637731
    And 3 anti-gun bills (1043, 1044 & 1045) were killed too It's a good day for PA. Castle Doctrine has been held up in committee many times now, it finally got out! The votes are there in the house and senate, and I believe even enough votes to over ride Slick Eddies veto if it comes to that. Looks like PA may have Castle Doctrine sooner then later [/QUOTE]

WOO HOO! We like this one which is supposed to allow us to stand our ground in any place we have a right to be, as well as protection of civilians against frivilous civil suits following justified use of lethal force.

Alchemist77

Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef View Post
    I'm guilty of not staying up to speed with legislation, this sounds like a good deal. Now because of my ignorance can someone tell me what the bill is that everyone is freaking about supposedly taxing every gun every year and the blue print of your house and all. How is that holding up? I don't know all the ins and outs.
    Thats been dead for a while. The anti's in Philly tried to pass that one and many of the rural Democrats wouldn't have it. Most anti-gun bills really don't get too far in PA due to our high rural population.

Any idea what kinda timeline there will be until this is voted on ??How fast could it become law? Would this affect for example a policy at ones place of work that forbids ccw? Guess I better call a representatives office and ask...

Here is the bill itself. It's actually rather short. It just amends the UFA "Stand your ground" to include all places you are legally allowed to be. It also protects you from civil liability if the perp tries to sue you. PA already has stand your ground in your home and place of business. This just expands that to everywhere.

Regular Session 2009-2010 House Bill 40 P.N. 32*

Thanks!
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Links