SCOTUS rules you must speak up if you want your right to remain silent!

This is a discussion on SCOTUS rules you must speak up if you want your right to remain silent! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Surprised no one has posted this yet. Supreme Court Rules on Miranda Protections - AOL News J...

Surprised no one has posted this yet.

Supreme Court Rules on Miranda Protections - AOL News

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

washingtonpost.com

WASHINGTON -- Want to invoke your right to remain silent? You'll have to speak up.

In a narrowly split decision, the Supreme Court's conservative majority expanded its limits on the famous Miranda rights for criminal suspects on Tuesday - over the dissent of new Justice Sonia Sotomayor, who said the ruling turned Americans' rights of protection from police abuse "upside down."

Well, it's a 5-4 ruling. As soon as additional SCOTUS members are appointed by the current president, there is a good chance this one may be re-visited. What is interesting was Justice Sotomayor ruling, which pretty much resolves any doubt about her ideology.
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

No, actually, you invoke your right to remain silent by - wait for it - remaining silent. That is your right, you don't need to speak up to invoke or exercise it.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgDog View Post
    No, actually, you invoke your right to remain silent by - wait for it - remaining silent. That is your right, you don't need to speak up to invoke or exercise it.
    That is true. However, if you choose to do so in that manner, you are still subject to questions. If you want the questions stopped, you have to say that you don't want to answer any questions. It's not different than it has been.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    This is so funny it's almost sad. I mean really, what are the new rules? Police will not be allowed to ask you questions if you tell them you don't want to talk? Really? How in the world is that gonna work?

Officer: You are under arrest!

BG: I'd like to invoke my right to remain silent.

Officer: Ok it's your right, but what is you name? Do you need to use the bathroom? Would you like something to drink while we wait for your lawyer?

Bg: Help! My rights are being trampled.

The whole point is that they cannot compel you to incriminate yourself. Nowhere in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights does it say they can't ask questions. It just say they can't MAKE you answer.

Police had been given a wide degree of latitude when trying to elicit a confession and it was up to the citizen to remain silent (It is THEIR right after all). I think that is pretty much done for.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

It's if you say you understand your rights, then it's up to you to actually have understood them. There is no obligation on the behalf of the police to reread you your rights every time they talk to you.

I think the only thing this changes is the ease with which the media outlets can spit out misleading titles.

Glock Certified Armorer

Whats the difference. I want to remain silent and by the way, throw in my Lawyer on your way out the door. Your still Lawyering up. I'm sure the BG's will get the hang of it soon enough.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

VIP Member

re: DPro

Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    Whats the difference. I want to remain silent and by the way, throw in my Lawyer on your way out the door. Your still Lawyering up. I'm sure the BG's will get the hang of it soon enough.
    Yes, the BG will get the hang of it pretty soon, but ordinary folks caught up in situations where they need to keep their mouths shut, such as after a SD shooting, won't get it.

We had a stable established rule, which has just been turned on its head.

The right to remain silent should mean exactly that. It isn't the right to ask to remain silent, state that you wish to remain silent, or any such
    judicial double speak.

The court erred, as these pro-authoritarian activist conservative justices frequently do. You will see this aspect of their character come home to roost when they do absolutely nothing worthwhile (from the 2A viewpoint many here hold) in the Chicago gun case, because their
    natural inclination is to give all the doubt to the LEOs and to legislatures, and rights be d......

Sotomayor's dissent got it right.

Now, the result of the ruling did produce a just end. The guy convicted himself with his own confession by answering some questions, staying silent on others, and then getting tripped up. So the practical result of upholding the conviction--in the sense that justice is served-- is ok. And oddly, an injustice would have resulted if they had ruled in the defendant's favor.

But what they just did is not an OK decision as a matter of general practice. Of course, we are stuck with it now as it may be 40 years before the makeup of the court changes such that this can be reconsidered.

Also, since the court previously had required very specific wording of the Miranda warning everyone is now familiar with, perhaps they should have added a requirement that the Miranda warning itself explain that to exercise your right you must speak up. Doing that would at least making the playing field fair.

There is no real change.
    I think the meat of this case, was that the guy refused to sign the paperwork saying he'd been read his rights. Why would he do that? IMO it was so that if he did say the wrong thing, he could always claim the cops didn't read him his rights (after all, he didn't sign saying they did), or he could claim as he did that he was remaining silent (even though he talked).

I don't know how it works for civilian law enforcement, but when we do it in the Army, refusing to sign the paperwork is the same as waiving you rights.
    http://www.army.mil/USAPA/eforms/pdf/A3881.PDF
    Its on the second page under special instructions.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDannie View Post
    Well, it's a 5-4 ruling. As soon as additional SCOTUS members are appointed by the current president, there is a good chance this one may be re-visited. What is interesting was Justice Sotomayor ruling, which pretty much resolves any doubt about her ideology.
    SCOTUS can't revisit this, or any other issue, just because they feel like it. A new case will have to be filed and work it's way through the system all the way back up to the Supreme Court. Only they will they have the opportunity to re-visit the issue.

Brian

I'm not upset at all about the decision. It only seems LOGICAL to me that, if you want the police to stop questioning you, you need to SAY it. Otherwise, when are they supposed to stop trying to break down a suspect? 30 seconds after he doesn't answer a question? 1 minute? 1 hour?

Any dipsh.. who has ever watched TV should realize that you can stop questioning with a single, powerful word... "LAWYER".

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    The right to remain silent should mean exactly that. It isn't the right to ask to remain silent, state that you wish to remain silent, or any such
    judicial double speak.
    The right to remain silent has always meant exactly that. You don't need to and have never needed to ASK to remain silent - you just have to remain silent - no permission required.

If you want something, like a drink, or a lawyer, or the cops to stop bugging you with questions, then, of course, you need to communicate what you want to them as they cant read your mind.

VIP Member

re: BurgDOg

Quote Originally Posted by BurgDog View Post
    The right to remain silent has always meant exactly that. You don't need to and have never needed to ASK to remain silent -
    I believe that just changed with the present ruling, but since I have not read it and got all info from the newspapers, perhaps you are correct.

What I have seen, and reading the portion of Sotomayor's dissent which was published, the court has per her words turned this on its head, and I agree with her.

The decision said that the person being questioned must speak up to stop the questioning. The dissent was trying to push the idea that not saying anything (for some unknown and unknowable amount of time) was the equivalent to a demand to stop the questioning. Nothing about any of this had to do with the actual "remain silent" right, just the stop questioning part. Van Chester Thompkins DID remain silent over most of the questioning but chose to break his silence and answer a question the answer of which was used to convict him.

Links