Violence Policy Center (VPC) newest cooked stats...

This is a discussion on Violence Policy Center (VPC) newest cooked stats... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; a.k.a. lies in the guise of research. I predict these lies will be coming to a paper near you, soon, and be used by anti-gun-politicians ...

Thread: Violence Policy Center (VPC) newest cooked stats...

VIP Member

Violence Policy Center (VPC) newest cooked stats...

a.k.a. lies in the guise of research.

I predict these lies will be coming to a paper near you, soon, and be used by anti-gun-politicians to push their agenda.

Note: As I understand it the VPC lumps all death by gun into the "per capita gun death" -- e.g. LEO shooting a BG to save another life or a self defense shooting is equated to a BG killing a victim.

Numbers can be spun and spun, but there is nothing new in this presentation - been debunked before.

******** WARNING CHEST-WADERS RECOMENDED BEFORE OPENING THE FOLLOWING ********

VPC - Press Release - (06/02/2009) - States with Higher Gun Ownership and Weak Gun Laws Lead Nation in Gun Death

VPC - State Firearm Death Rates, Ranked by Rate, 2007

States with higher gun ownership rates and weak gun laws have the highest rates of overall gun death according to a new analysis by the Violence Policy Center (VPC) of just-released 2007 national data (the most recent available) from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Preventionís National Center for Injury Prevention and Control.

The VPC defined states with "weak" gun laws as those that add little or nothing to federal restrictions and have permissive laws governing the open or concealed carrying of firearms in public. States with "strong" gun laws were defined as those that add significant state regulation in addition to federal law, such as restricting access to particularly hazardous types of firearms (for example, assault weapons), setting minimum safety standards for firearms and/or requiring a permit to purchase a firearm, and restrictive laws governing the open and concealed carrying of firearms in public.

Anyone guess why District of Columbia is where it is?
    Last edited by DaveH; June 4th, 2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added warning per msgt/ret. ;-)
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Should have put on my chest waders before clicking the links, got very deep.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VPC is a misnomer, as it should be the policy of every able bodied individual that if violence is presented the proper indicated response is enough violence to stop the violence that was initiated.

Maybe I should send them a letter stating so.

Biker

They should probably do an addendum for Illinois. It's been a busy year already. 39th, really? Undoubtedly they weight the ratings so that stupid laws points can hide firearm death points.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Somehow I feel safer in Indiana (Ranked 26th) than I would in NY and NJ (45 and 46), or ever CA (33rd)!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Wow, the BB's own website shows that the states with the strongest gun laws have the most gun related deaths, vs. the states with the weakest have the least.

All this contradictory info...I just don't know what to think anymore.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    When organizations like Cease Fire makes statistics about how many kids die from gun violence each year, I would bet that half those youths killed are either criminals or gangbangers. I have no sympathy for the ones killed who fall in that category. That was the direction they chose and as a result, paid the price.

Lets look at the CDC (Center for Disease Control) statistics for 2007:

300,000,000 US Census
    80,000,000 US Gun Owners
    258,000,000 US Total Firearms
    6,000,000 US CHP Holders (2% of population)
    31,224 US Gun Related Deaths
    17,352 US Suicides by gun (55.6% of gun deaths and 50% of suicides)
    --------
    13,872 US Non-Suicide Gun Deaths

613 US Accidental gun deaths
    351 US Law Enforcement involved gun deaths
    276 US gun deaths undetermined intent
    12,632 US Homicides with a gun (justifiable or not)

41 US CHP Holder Homicides in 2007 (.00068% of all CHP holders)

.00068% Percentage of US CHP Holders committed homicide
    .00430% Percentage of US non-CHP holder committed homicide

*** The homicide rate for the 98% of the non-CHP holding population (294,000,000) is approximately 6.3 TIMES GREATER than the CHP holders. This is not age adjusted. Approximately 21,000,000 in that 98% were under the age of 5.

The accidental bicycle deaths for 2007 were 820. Higher than accidental gun deaths. In 2007, a person was 20 times more likely to die on a pedal bike than by a CCW.

In relation to the total population, total gun owners, etc. these percentages are very small indeed. Coincidentally, Motor Vehicle Deaths were over 44,000. Cars are statistically more deadly than guns. Removing the suicide deaths by guns drastically changes the percentages.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Here's another wrinkle they don't address: close to 10% of the adult population of CT has carry permits, yet they fall into the "low gun deaths" column. Have to wonder how VPC would spin that little nugget of information.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    gun deaths.... does this mean they include criminal vs criminal, accidents and law enforcement?

*sniff* *sniff* smells like a crock of **** to me.
    NYPD bosses cooking crime stats, sources and survey say - NYPOST.com
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    gun deaths.... does this mean they include criminal vs criminal, accidents and law enforcement?

*sniff* *sniff* smells like a crock of **** to me.
    NYPD bosses cooking crime stats, sources and survey say - NYPOST.com

Any and all deaths by firearm.

All LEO shootings.

All self-defense shootings.

You sniffer is working just fine!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links