is there a state where they may confiscate for emergency?

This is a discussion on is there a state where they may confiscate for emergency? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by D Strokes Texas passed a law prohibiting it, but that doesn't mean it's not gonna happen. Take what Bark'n said to heart. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: is there a state where they may confiscate for emergency?

Quote Originally Posted by D Strokes View Post
    Texas passed a law prohibiting it, but that doesn't mean it's not gonna happen. Take what Bark'n said to heart.

I like this one too:
    Originally Posted by packinnova
    sorry occifer...I sold them all to pay the bills when the economy tanked...
    Indiana just past a law forbidding confiscation also, for what it's worth.

Telling the LEOs you have no guns won't do any good when they brush you aside and ransack your house to find them, and they will!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    In response to Bark'n... what we need to figure out as a people how we can stop this all together. It seems as if government agencies do whatever they want because they know the agency will pay out the lawsuits using our tax money.

Maybe we need to start holding actual (bad) officers liable who blatantly violate peoples rights in these situations, and make THEM personally pay out these lawsuits from their own personal money. Maybe these rogue LEO's and department commanders will stop this stuff. If the iron fist of the people via the courts come down on individual officers who violate rights that are so obvious, maybe that will set an example for future disasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    In response to Bark'n... what we need to figure out as a people how we can stop this all together. It seems as if government agencies do whatever they want because they know the agency will pay out the lawsuits using our tax money.

Maybe we need to start holding actual (bad) officers liable who blatantly violate peoples rights in these situations, and make THEM personally pay out these lawsuits from their own personal money. Maybe these rogue LEO's and department commanders will stop this stuff. If the iron fist of the people via the courts come down on individual officers who violate rights that are so obvious, maybe that will set an example for future disasters.
    Sounds great! How do we hold these people reasonable for following and "illegal order"? That is what they where doing in N.O.!

From what I have read and seen in video that they used departments from NY and CA to confiscate the guns, I guess that was their plan, to use police from gun unfriendly States to do the dirty work. I doubt departments from TX and AZ would have been so happy to do it!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    Sounds great! How do we hold these people reasonable for following and "illegal order"? That is what they where doing in N.O.!

From what I have read and seen in video that they used departments from NY and CA to confiscate the guns, I guess that was their plan, to use police from gun unfriendly States to do the dirty work. I doubt departments from TX and AZ would have been so happy to do it!
    Go after the commanders then. Someone needs to be held personally accountable, and not just the department. Then sue the ever living heck out of them.

I agree, how do you identify individual officers doing the confiscations. Especially if from another State. In these situations, many if not all don't wear name badges when wearing quasi swat uniforms, or BDU's or other "utility type" uniforms during a disaster. At most, you may be able to see an "State or Dept. Agency Patch" on their uniform or BDU's but that's about as much info as you're gonna get.

They certainly aren't going to give you their name and badge number as from the reports I have seen, those who asked for such information were threatened with jail for interfering with their duty. And they were told that while the person being violated was looking down the barrel of an M-4 carbine, shotgun or pistol. So, what are ya going to do?

As I said earlier, you're either stuck with complying, and giving up your guns or shooting LEO's & National Guard personnel.

Now a lot of people "claim" they won't give up their guns, yet they won't say what they are prepared to do it. And so far we have yet to see reports of people actually firing on LEO's who were trying to confiscate.

So, it remains to be seen what will happen the next time.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Tough questions to answer.
    Electing officials that would not allow such a thing would be a start.
    Obviously prevention of losing your guns would be a good strategy.
    That also would depend on a number of things.
    Can you leave befor, via warnings, etc.
    Befor or after, will they let you leave with your guns, if packed away in a vehicle, if you have a veh.
    If you still have a house and stay, can they find your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Tough questions to answer.
    Electing officials that would not allow such a thing would be a start.
    Obviously prevention of losing your guns would be a good strategy.
    That also would depend on a number of things.
    Can you leave befor, via warnings, etc.
    Befor or after, will they let you leave with your guns, if packed away in a vehicle, if you have a veh.
    If you still have a house and stay, can they find your guns.
    A lot of people did in N.O., tried to stay and the police just threatened them at gun point and searched the houses and took their guns anyway! No warrants, they didn't need no stink'in warrants! Forget the 4th Amendment!

The police chief said "no one will have weapons except the police and military, no one", so all LEOs that were told to, confiscated them without questioning the order! Sick! Just turns my stomach to think there are American LEOs that would do that without questioning such an order!

While I don't condone shooting at law enforcement, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it would have happened, or if it happens again someone does.

They had groups from their neighborhood standing watch, armed until the police came through! Then their houses got looted!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I'm sure there is; but, it's not Michigan.
    Glad to hear it! It's one law I would probably break.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    A lot of people did in N.O., tried to stay and the police just threatened them at gun point and searched the houses and took their guns anyway! No warrants, they didn't need no stink'in warrants! Forget the 4th Amendment!

The police chief said "no one will have weapons except the police and military, no one", so all LEOs that were told to, confiscated them without questioning the order! Sick! Just turns my stomach to think there are American LEOs that would do that without questioning such an order!

While I don't condone shooting at law enforcement, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it would have happened, or if it happens again someone does.

They had groups from their neighborhood standing watch, armed until the police came through! Then their houses got looted!
    Clarification please. Did the cops kick them out of their houses at gunpoint or search at gunpoint. Either way it stinks.

IF they just searched, as I said earlier, they have to find them. I suspect a standard search, closets, under beds, etc, maybe garage. They are only going to spend so much time on one house if they don't find anything quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Clarification please. Did the cops kick them out of their houses at gunpoint or search at gunpoint. Either way it stinks.
    Some they removed from their homes while others they just took the guns from them! But yes, searched at gunpoint or threatened to be arrested if the citizens gave them any grief!

There are videos on YouTube and other sites that some news channels filmed. The most famous is of an elderly lady that had a pistol that they jumped and wrestled to the ground, took it from her then made her leave her house!

They also wouldn't let people leave with their pets, so they came back later and shot all that they could find. I understand about letting animals run lose isn't good, but there could have been something else done!

If you do a little research, it will tick you off at what you see!!!!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm

Well, think of it this way. What's to stop them? The law? It's an emergency. The law is suspended. See: New Orleans; Katrina
    What recourse do you have if the police show up at your door and say, "We're here for your guns, and you better comply, or we're taking you to jail today."
    All the internet lawyers will spout the law, but that's for court, not your front door. Ask Randy Weaver about the law.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    You honestly think the Legislature took the time to investigate it, become concerned enough to write the law and pass it, because nothing happened , it was all unfounded, and nothing happened ?

Please notice that I started out by saying "Not to be argumentative". Not sure why you feel otherwise.

Also, there were never any allegations of confiscation in MS, but MS passed a similar law. So, having the law written and passed is not necessarily related to any incident. It was not in Mississippi.

As I said in my post, I was just looking for some further info.

Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

The only problem I see with the states that took the initiative to pass laws to prevent debacles like the katrina aftermath is that they won't work.

Let's face facts. The facts are that the law of the land as it stood before, during, and after katrina should have prevented such action. However, as we all know it did not. The folks in charge(read... those with the monopoly of force on their side) ignored the law of the land and did what they wanted anyway...and apparently without getting for it afterwards either.

So my question is, why in the world would you think that another law created to prevent the same is going to make any difference? They can't follow the constitution or any other laws on the books besides tax law, but they're going to follow another law? Yeah...that'll happen.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post

As long as the person or persons involved in the illegal act cannot be prosecuted things will never change. If the "I was only following orders" defense keeps the guilty parties from being jailed or sued why would anyone not follow the orders even knowing they are illegal? Right now the incentive is for them to follow orders and keep their job. This needs to be changed.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Well, think of it this way. What's to stop them? The law? It's an emergency. The law is suspended. See: New Orleans; Katrina
    Here's the thing. The right to keep and bear arms is not a law! It is a right. Which is guaranteed in the Bill of Rights!

They can suspend all the laws they want, but they can not suspend your rights guaranteed by the Constitution.

The government can not give create "rights"... We get our rights from God.

A "Right" and a "Law" are two separate animals. Apples and oranges.

The only way to lose a Right, is if we voluntarily give them up.

In these cases, when they come to confiscate your guns under the guise of "some emergency," either real or fictitious they do not have the authority to revoke your right.

You either voluntarily surrender your right, under the threat of being jailed or beat up or whatever they use to get you to comply, Or, you resist by force to preserve your "Rights" which they have no authority to take.

So, in this case, it's a matter of just how far are people going to go to keep their Rights? Are they going to fire on Law Enforcement Officers... knowing full well what the consequences of that will be. Or do they surrender?

My advice, is to plan ahead and get out of the area in question and avoid contact with the authorities who are imposing the illegal gun confiscation.

For natural or small scale disasters like Katrina, evacuate early enough where you can avoid the LEO's or Military altogether, and be out of the area before the confiscations even begin.

Plan on what you would do if they do come for your guns before you can get out. Use enough planning where you can locate your guns in a hiding place where they won't be found during a search.

I don't intend on shooting law enforcement officers or National Guardsmen attempting to confiscate my guns during a local or small scale disaster even if they are stupid enough to follow illegal orders.

However, in a Nation wide gun grab of everyone's guns across the country... I believe will lead to an armed Revolution and that is a whole other story. I won't be the only one resisting at that point, nor will I likely be the first one either.

JMHO!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links