is there a state where they may confiscate for emergency?

This is a discussion on is there a state where they may confiscate for emergency? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is there a law in any state that says they have the right to take your guns if there is an emergency (like the illegally ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: is there a state where they may confiscate for emergency?

Is there a law in any state that says they have the right to take your guns if there is an emergency (like the illegally did after Katrina?).
    For some reason I strongly remember such legislation passing a few years back. I want to say Chicago/ IL. Can anyone help me out here?
    Last edited by friesepferd; June 8th, 2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: typo
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I'm sure there is; but, it's not Michigan.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Federal law prohibits it.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, World Drifter

I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Federal law prohibits it.
    Yes I think Pes. G.W. BUSH Signed ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I read on another board that the current sheriff in clark county has stated that one of the reasons he believes in our current gun registration in Vegas is that it will allow for easier confiscation of our guns in the event of a Katrina like disaster. However, I was not clear if there was a specific law in NV regarding this. Still, it tells me he would try.

First they have to find them.

If i'm not mistaken NC does.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Quote Originally Posted by grandma4 View Post
    If i'm not mistaken NC does.
    Nope, just says that during states of emergency you can't carry off property.

There is no legal seizure of guns when on your own property for emergency in NC.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Nope, just says that during states of emergency you can't carry off property.

There is no legal seizure of guns when on your own property for emergency in NC.
    Well that is just retarded. So if my house is blown away in a Hurricane and there is shelter and food to be found elsewhere I have to find a fallen wall to hide my gun under because I am not allowed to carry it off my lot where the house used to be.

Who the $%$^&#$ makes these laws up?
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

We have a law specifically "against" confiscation of guns in an emergency.

That's due to the F5 tornado that hit Greensburg, where FBI agents directed Local LEO's to confiscate guns..... they broke into safes, houses, and forced people to give them up. In one situation the home owner refused , while pointing his shogun at the FBI agent and vice versa.

When people later went to get them, the guns had been tossed into piles and were battered (if even there... all choice guns magically had disappeared) , not kept right, and since they did not require any proof of ownership... people could go down and just pick the one they wanted. So many people never saw their guns again.

IT was a messed up situation, and people had no protection from looters, etc. or anything else.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post

That's due to the F5 tornado that hit Greensburg, where FBI agents directed Local LEO's to confiscate guns..... they broke into safes, houses, and forced people to give them up. In one situation the home owner refused , while pointing his shogun at the FBI agent and vice versa.

When people later went to get them, the guns had been tossed into piles and were battered (if even there... all choice guns magically had disappeared) , not kept right, and since they did not require any proof of ownership... people could go down and just pick the one they wanted. So many people never saw their guns again.

IT was a messed up situation, and people had no protection from looters, etc. or anything else.

That situation would be wrong on so many levels, they would never find mine.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post

Directly from the NRA:
    NRA-ILA :: Update on Greensburg, Kansas
    Update on Greensburg, Kansas

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Last week, NRA reported that we were investigating allegations of gun confiscation in the aftermath of the tornado that ravaged Greensburg, Kansas. NRA received a number of phone calls from troubled NRA members in Greensburg who were concerned that law enforcement had inappropriately removed firearms from their homes after the deadly tornadoes. In response, NRA sent representatives to Greensburg to gather as much information as possible, spoke with area law enforcement and local elected officials to determine what had transpired.

After investigating these complaints, there was no evidence of any illegal gun confiscations or seizures. However, there were firearms recovered by law enforcement that are now in the process of being returned.

Gun owners whose firearms were recovered by area law enforcement may claim them at the “gun trailer”, located east of Davis Park on the north side of U.S. 54. Please bring proper identification. The trailer is open from 10:00am until 4:00pm Monday through Friday until all firearms are returned.

NRA will continue to monitor the situation in Greensburg, and we will remain vigilant in investigating any future complaints of illegal gun confiscation wherever it may happen. If your firearms were recovered by law enforcement following the tornado in Greensburg and you have any trouble retrieving your firearms, please call us at 1-800-392-8683.

Has there been some investigation by NRA (or another organization) since this one that says otherwise? Also, every report I read made no mention of the FBI at all. Only the ATF and local PD. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to figure out your source of information and what may have changed since NRA investigated.

Times of emergency are when citizens need their firearms most. It is reassuring that many states are passing laws which make "state of emergency" seizures illegal. I wish every state would do it. It is a great reminder to always be prepared. Hurricane season is already here.
    Thanks,
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

You would have to check your local state laws. Kansas made a specific law that states that weapons can not be confiscated durring a state of emergency, No not after Katrina, After The Greensburg tornado.

Funny thing was, That unlike Katrina, LEO wasn't going door to door confiscating weapons, There weren't any doors to go to. There were so many weapons that were being recovered from the debris that LEO started collecting them at a central location but wouldn't release them to the owners unless they could prove they were the owners. Kinda, hard to do when your house is spend over a couple of hundred square miles.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by doctruptwn View Post
    You would have to check your local state laws. Kansas made a specific law that states that weapons can not be confiscated durring a state of emergency, No not after Katrina, After The Greensburg tornado.

Funny thing was, That unlike Katrina, LEO wasn't going door to door confiscating weapons, There weren't any doors to go to. There were so many weapons that were being recovered from the debris that LEO started collecting them at a central location but wouldn't release them to the owners unless they could prove they were the owners. Kinda, hard to do when your house is spend over a couple of hundred square miles.
    Thanks for all the additional information on this, I'm still kind of wondering were there law enacted of the Tornado and if so, why? If nothing actually happened as stated, then why (if they did that is) enact new laws. Just curious is all.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links