GA update for non GA citizens.

This is a discussion on GA update for non GA citizens. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This summary is in my own words paraphrased. Please correct me if I stand wrong. I simply reread the final signed bill again just to ...

Thread: GA update for non GA citizens.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

GA update for non GA citizens.

This summary is in my own words paraphrased. Please correct me if I stand wrong. I simply reread the final signed bill again just to understand and apply the revised law in my daily activities from this day forward.

A victory in our state a few days ago when Gov. Purdue signed State Senate Bill 308 into law:

-Eliminates Public Gathering concealed and open carrry ban. License or not.

-Eliminates need for license to carry openly. Anyone can carry now as long as they are not prohibited by law and the weapon is exposed openly and fully.

-No need to fear that 1000' safety zone around schools. Just keep it in the vehicle locked up, or on your person in your vehicle while picking your kid up at school. Dont dear tread outside of your vehicle err. extension of personal property.

-No need to holster (Still reading this more to clarify) Mexican style! Nothing racial, look the term up.

-A much more professional and far less forge-able license after 2012.

-Far less of harsh punishments, down from felonies now to misdemeanors, for unfortunate mistake making normally law abiding citizens.

-Carry in a bar and consume alcohol. Don't know what the limit is yet still reading on that one later.

-Changed the firearms license to "weapons" licence.
    ----Umm it says "Any weapon" in the law. Am I sniffing opening borders to eventually approving FA weapons again. That could be the next gun owners champion nation wide. Just saying'

-There is more stuff but most of which is not really worth sharing here.

Thanks to all who support our state and please show your support for our legislative champions who pressed this bill through the grinder for approval. My district is Chip Rodgers. Im going to go to his next town hall and shake his hand and tell him thank you very much for supporting and defending our constitution the best he could given the state legislative body.

Maybe a moot point? But I feel that the state truly is in observance ,whilst still under the pressure of oppressive fed law, of our countries constitution. Doing away with a license to open carry. I understand the semi-justifiable position of concealed license but would also like to see that pass away as well and be fully free.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Well outstanding!
    Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Kimber Tactical Custom II, SIS Pro

Do they honor non-resident permits from other states? Ex: I live in NJ, but have a FL permit.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Very nice!!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post

-Eliminates need for license to carry openly. Anyone can carry now as long as they are not prohibited by law and the weapon is exposed openly and fully.
    Noooooooooooo. You may want to re-read the bill. It allows for carry on your property, in vehicle, place of business without a license. However, if you leave your property etc., you need a license.

Here's a link to the bill. 16-11-126 is the part that addresses this.

sb308_SB308_APP_23.html

Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

This may be the wrong place to ask this, but here goes...

How does one get their state to have reciprocity with another state???

I ask this because I have a friend in GA who can CC, and when I visit him and I can't...

I can in VA, but if he visits here, he can't...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    Do they honor non-resident permits from other states? Ex: I live in NJ, but have a FL permit.
    Law:
    (e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state.

Quote Originally Posted by dam294 View Post
    Noooooooooooo. You may want to re-read the bill. It allows for carry on your property, in vehicle, place of business without a license. However, if you leave your property etc., you need a license.

Here's a link to the bill. 16-11-126 is the part that addresses this.

sb308_SB308_APP_23.html
    Exactly! No no no open carry of a handgun without a license is still illegal!

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.
    Further:
    (h)(1) No person shall carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license unless he or she meets one of the exceptions to having such license as provided in subsections (a) through (g) of this Code section.
    (2) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon without a license when he or she violates the provisions of paragraph (1) of this subsection.
    (i) Upon conviction of the offense of carrying weapon without a valid weapons carry license, a person shall be punished as follows:
    (1) For the first offense, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and
    (2) For the second offense within five years, as measured from the dates of previous arrests for which convictions were obtained to the date of the current arrest for which a conviction is obtained, and for any subsequent offense, he or she shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than two years and not more than five years."

AzB
    Couple clarifications:

You can carry in a bar only if you have the owner/managements consent.

Restaurant with alcohol carry is not new, but being able to have a drink with dinner while carrying is.

You are also allowed to have a gun in your car while at other prohibited sites (not Federal) like courthouses, DMV, airport, etc. You mentioned schools, but left these out. This a major convenience.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    This may be the wrong place to ask this, but here goes...

How does one get their state to have reciprocity with another state???

I ask this because I have a friend in GA who can CC, and when I visit him and I can't...

I can in VA, but if he visits here, he can't...
    Get a Pennsylvania non-resident permit. It costs like $26. Good for 5 years. You will be able to carry in GA. I think he would be able to do same to carry in VA. I'm not certain but believe so. Would have to check.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Get a Pennsylvania non-resident permit. It costs like $26. Good for 5 years. You will be able to carry in GA. I think he would be able to do same to carry in VA. I'm not certain but believe so. Would have to check.
    Thanks...pretty amazing that the PA non-resident permit only picks up GA over the VA permit...no other states...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A "weapons" license generally includes knives, sprays, tasars, etc. also. A bazooka is probably out of the question.

Now if they'd wanted to do it right, they'd eliminated that silly ban against CCing in a reststop in I-75!

"You can carry in a bar only if you have the owner/managements consent."

So if there's not a "No Guns" sign, you have consent?
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Any step in the right direction is a good thing!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    yeah thanks for the feedback and corrections. I simply read the bill one time through and wrote all that from memory from reading.

Either way it is a nice relief and more freedoms than before and the bills are LAW now so these Laws are applied as of right now.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Links