Defensive Carry banner

Saf founder, attorney at supreme court monday for landmark ruling

1K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Eagleks 
#1 ·
BELLEVUE, WA - Alan M. Gottlieb, founder and executive vice president of the Second Amendment Foundation, will join attorney Alan Gura and Chicago resident Otis McDonald on the steps of the United States Supreme Court on Monday, June 28 to hear the court's ruling in the historic McDonald v. City of Chicago gun rights case.

This important challenge to the Chicago handgun ban was mounted by the Second Amendment Foundation, Illinois State Rifle Association and four Chicago residents, including Mr. McDonald, for whom the case is named.

"It is important for us to be at the Supreme Court when the ruling is handed down," Gottlieb stated. "This could be a landmark ruling that incorporates the Second Amendment to the states, which will truly make the Second Amendment the law of the land,' and thus bolster state constitutional right to bear arms provisions.

"I want to be there, representing the 650,000 SAF members and supporters, because this will be their victory," he added. "Our members have generously supported this legal effort, and they will have earned it.

"I also want to join Otis McDonald, whose courageous challenge of this handgun ban, along with co-plaintiffs Adam Orlov, and David and Colleen Lawson, made this case possible," Gottlieb said. "And certainly, I will want to stand with Alan Gura, whose skillful management of this case as it rose through the lower courts and finally was accepted for review by the high court laid the foundation for what we believe will be a victory for gun rights."

Meanwhile, Richard Pearson, executive director of the Illinois State Rifle Association, will also meet with reporters at the Hotel Allegro, 171 West Randolph Street, in Chicago following the high court's ruling.

The Second Amendment Foundation (Second Amendment Foundation Online) is the nations oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 650,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control. SAF has previously funded successful firearms-related suits against the cities of Los Angeles; New Haven, CT; and San Francisco on behalf of American gun owners, a lawsuit against the cities suing gun makers and an amicus brief and fund for the Emerson case holding the Second Amendment as an individual right.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm scared to death of the aftereffects if the SC finds for Chicago.

#4 ·
They'd better not count their chickens before they hatch.

#12 ·
You got that right! As I age, I see right is now wrong, up is down and the left & right don't have a freakin' clue about anything. I pray we prevail, but I won't hold my breath.

#5 ·
How could anyone find in favor of Chicago?:gah:

#16 ·
4 Supreme Court Justices did.

Sotomayer... no surprise, was one of them....

#7 ·
Yeah im biting at the bit. I dont think it is possible for them to rule in favor of chicago.

I mean the constitution says what it says. Its hard to refute and deny such simple words:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#8 ·
SCOTUSBLOG believes that the majority opinion will be written by Alito, and that we are likely to see the Second Amendment incorporated. The matter of the Chicago ban will be remanded to the lower court for re-consideration with the direction that the 2A applies to the states.

It won't be a sweeping nullification of all existing bans / restrictions, but it will be a landmark ruling for our side.

Matt

#9 ·
BTW - it will be hysterical to watch Daly's press conference if the ruling goes the way we want.

He's going to lose what little mind he has, and it's going to be fun to watch.....

Bloomberg might faint. I can't wait.

Matt

#10 ·
Someone talked about possible "weasel" words in the decision, words such as "reasonable restrictions." I'm hoping (really strongly) for none of those. Please, PLEASE! a solid opinion that will strike down registration and in-home-only permissions.

Keep = In a person's home AND on/in a person's property (such as a car).
Bear = Outside a person's home, openly and/or concealed carry.

My faith in that is weak, but I'm still hoping. And yes, I still believe in :santaclaus:

#15 ·
Kind of tepid from what I've heard so far. Sounds like Chicago will still be allowed to have a bunch of crap restrictions which the court indicated may ultimately be upheld. However it is still a win as they declared every city in every State must allow people to keep handguns in their homes.

Hopefully Illinois as a State will go ahead and pass CCW but it looks like Daley is going to keep messing with the people of Chicago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.