SAF Isn't wasting any time-NC "Emergency Powers" Gun Ban

This is a discussion on SAF Isn't wasting any time-NC "Emergency Powers" Gun Ban within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It appears they've filed suit against North Carolina's 'Emergency Powers' gun bans. SAF Press Release :: SAF SUES TO OVERTURN NORTH CAROLINA’S 'EMERGENCY POWERS' GUN ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SAF Isn't wasting any time-NC "Emergency Powers" Gun Ban

SAF Isn't wasting any time-NC "Emergency Powers" Gun Ban

It appears they've filed suit against North Carolina's 'Emergency Powers' gun bans.

SAF Press Release :: SAF SUES TO OVERTURN NORTH CAROLINA’S 'EMERGENCY POWERS' GUN BANS

SAF SUES TO OVERTURN NORTH CAROLINA’S 'EMERGENCY POWERS' GUN BANS

For Immediate Release: 6/29/2010

BELLEVUE, WA – The Second Amendment Foundation on Monday filed a federal lawsuit in North Carolina, seeking a permanent injunction against the governor, local officials and local governments from declaring states of emergency under which private citizens are prohibited from exercising their right to bear arms.

Joining SAF in this lawsuit are Grass Roots North Carolina – the state’s leading gun rights organization, and three private citizens, Michael Bateman, Virgil Green and Forrest Minges, Jr. Named as defendants in the federal lawsuit are North Carolina Gov. Beverly Perdue; Reuben Young, secretary of the Department of Crime Control and Public Safety; Stokes County and the City of King. The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina.

The lawsuit contends that state statutes that forbid the carrying of firearms and ammunition during declared states of emergency are unconstitutional. Plaintiffs also contend that a North Carolina law that allows government officials to prohibit the purchase, sale and possession of firearms and ammunition are also unconstitutional because they forbid the exercise of Second Amendment rights as affirmed by Monday’s Supreme Court ruling in McDonald v. City of Chicago, the landmark Second Amendment ruling that incorporated the Second Amendment to the states.

SAF and the Illinois State Rifle Association took the McDonald Case to the Supreme Court.

“Through this lawsuit in North Carolina,” said SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb,” we intend to show that state emergency powers statutes that allow government officials to suspend fundamental civil rights, including the right to bear arms, are unconstitutional and therefore should be nullified. Citizens do not surrender their civil rights just because of a natural or man-made disaster.”

SAF is once again being represented by attorney Alan Gura, who led the legal effort in the McDonald case and also won the historic Heller ruling that overturned the District of Columbia handgun ban in 2008. Local counsel are Andrew Tripp and Kearns Davis with the firm of Brooks, Pierce, McLendon, Humphrey & Leonard, LLC in Raleigh.

The Second Amendment Foundation (Second Amendment Foundation Online) is the nation's oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 650,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control. SAF has previously funded successful firearms-related suits against the cities of Los Angeles; New Haven, CT; and San Francisco on behalf of American gun owners, a lawsuit against the cities suing gun makers and an amicus brief and fund for the Emerson case holding the Second Amendment as an individual right.

-END-
    Brian

2. Remove Ads

Really stupid to disarm people when they really need to be able to protect themselves
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'm not a big gun guy but this seems like backward thinking. What is their reason for this? That's when you need to protect your family the most. When there are opportunists out to pray on people in weakened states.

Senior Moderator
    Its about "control" of the masses.

Fact of the matter is...Politicians dont want anyone carrying a gun when it hits the fan because the people wont blindly follow orders.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Fact of the matter is...Politicians dont want anyone carrying a gun when it hits the fan because the people wont blindly follow orders.
    That's the crux of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    That's the crux of it.
    Yep...Agreed. ^^

i10casual one does not have to be a big gun guy, you could be a little gun guy (or gal) and even a no gun person.
    Regardless this is an item of importance to us all because it does, has and can happen;

September 8, 2005 - ABC News
    New Orleans Police Illegally Confiscating Guns After Katrina

- Eddie Compass, Frmr. Chief of Police, New Orleans, LA

"You never expect to do this, in your own country." - A regular guy during irregular state of emergency conditions, just following orders.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Guns! What guns?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

My reply to any disarmament:

Do these barrels make my bullets look fat?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Guns! What guns?
    Confiscation requires locating the item to be confiscated.

Senior Moderator
    Next stop: New York City lawsuit.

I bet it happens by the end of next month.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Fact of the matter is...Politicians don't want anyone carrying a gun when it hits the fan because the people wont blindly follow orders.
    Besides themselves or their bodyguards.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

They know if they could ever first get rid of our 2nd ammendment right that the remaining rights are just ripe for the picking. RKBA protects all our other rights so the way I see it the 2nd ammendment is the most important right and the one that should be defended the most.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Exactly how did the City of NO go about taking possession of the guns? Did they ask if folks owned them and had them at t he residence? How did they choose what houses to go to, if indeed they went house-to-house?

I ask because I just can't imagine giving up my gun. Not so much from a "fight the police" standpoint, but from worry about when, and HOW, I'm going to get it back. Heck, Govts lose money all the time. Why would I think they will store my firearm properly and get it back to me?

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Really stupid to disarm people when they really need to be able to protect themselves
    Agreed. Glad to see this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links