Chicago City Council to Vote on New Gun Law

This is a discussion on Chicago City Council to Vote on New Gun Law within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No final text for the ordinance yet, but the city's attorney says it will likely include a limit of 1 handgun per resident per residence, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicago City Council to Vote on New Gun Law

Chicago City Council to Vote on New Gun Law

No final text for the ordinance yet, but the city's attorney says it will likely include a limit of 1 handgun per resident per residence, a training requirement, a registration requirement, a requirement to "safely secure" handguns in the home, a requirement to obtain liability insurance, and a ballistics testing requirement.

Being a Chicago resident, I am intend to write my alderman to express my opposition. I am looking for some good points to include in my letter. Help me draft the most effective letter I can. With everyone's input, I am sure I can send something eloquent, respectful and effective.

Article about New Chicago Gun law

2. Remove Ads

To bear arms means more than one,can't wait for the next lawsuit
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Their definition of safely securing the gun in the home means being insecure in your home. Having the gun locked up means you cannot get to it quickly when you need it the most. After all the 2A is about “self-protection”. What a bunch of “Commies” you have running your city. I could not live there and I am sorry for every gun owner that has to. Also the 2A says nothing about training, insurance, or ballistics testing. They are in effect making it so expensive no one will be able to afford it so they will have blocked ownership via the back door.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

right to bear ARMS
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I think it would be great if the people of Chicago just woke up one morning and the entire tax base of the City moved out. Mayor would have a real problem with his budget.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Bluster.

They will run right into the same trouble DC ran into with the locked gun ordinance.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Remember, this is Chicago. The city council is merely a rubber stamp for King Richard. He will get anything he wants. What they need is early retirement for his honor duh mayor!

Ask your alderman if the gangs and thugs shooting up the locals are being subjected to the same persecution as the decent, law abiding, tax paying citizens are. Ask him why the same thugs can turn in their weapons for cash no questions asked a lot of evidence being trashed.

Also propose a law with the same requirements for anyone who wishes to posses a fire extinguisher.

Best of luck, I sincerely hope the people of Illinois can get this administration their walking papers. If not I like Hiram's idea.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Council approved restrictions... the fight begins..

Clout St: Council panel quickly approves Daley gun restrictions
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Pretty bad - but also could have been a lot worse. I don't get the point about needing a Chicago Firearm Permit when Illinois already has the FOID system.

And I wonder if we'll be able to mail order ammunition now.

VIP Member
    The clout started with the old man. Dick-tater Jr. is living of the old man's clout as Da Boss and the money he took.

ChicagoClout
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SigFan View Post
    Pretty bad - but also could have been a lot worse.
    My thoughts too. I expected it to be much worse, $hitty as it is. I think the DC restrictions are worse.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

Here's another article. Can read the comments to see all the people who hate it.
    FOXNews.com - Mayor Daley Lays Out Strict Gun Rules for Chicago
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Quote Originally Posted by SigFan View Post
    No final text for the ordinance yet, but the city's attorney says it will likely include a limit of 1 handgun per resident per residence, a training requirement, a registration requirement, a requirement to "safely secure" handguns in the home, a requirement to obtain liability insurance, and a ballistics testing requirement.

Being a Chicago resident, I am intend to write my alderman to express my opposition. I am looking for some good points to include in my letter. Help me draft the most effective letter I can. With everyone's input, I am sure I can send something eloquent, respectful and effective.

Article about New Chicago Gun law
    Is there any way or place for a Chicago gunowner to practice or learn how to shoot other than the one hour range time (which cannot take place place in the city of Chicago) needed to get a permit? From what I understand there are no ranges open to the public in Chicago and there is a prohibition against building any new ones. Makes a lot of sense to me, NOT. One hour of range time is barely enough to make sure your handgun is reliable let alone enough for you to be able to use it safely.

Let's hope future lawsuits force a sensible set of rules that responsible gunowners can live by.

OMO

bosco

"The ordinance "generally prohibits the possession of a handgun by any person except in the person's home," according to a city news release."

How you are supposed to get it to your house after you buy it, and to and from the range? "Beam" it in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links