NRA Now Leans Toward Endorsing Harry Reid - Page 3

NRA Now Leans Toward Endorsing Harry Reid

This is a discussion on NRA Now Leans Toward Endorsing Harry Reid within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Maybe the NRA will support Pelosi and Obama in their re-election bids, and they would owe the NRA big time then, too. Sheesh! Reid is ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NRA Now Leans Toward Endorsing Harry Reid

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Maybe the NRA will support Pelosi and Obama in their re-election bids, and they would owe the NRA big time then, too. Sheesh!

Reid is an unethical snake who cannot be trusted. And I would say that if he were a staunch Republican who voted against every gun control bill he ever saw. Investigate for yourselves his shady land deals in Nevada that made him hundreds of thousands of dollars. And he most definitely does not have the best interests of his state or the country in mind.

If the NRA can't support his opponent, then it should at least stay neutral.

If the NRA can't support his opponent, then it should at least stay neutral.
    I agree.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    First: Harry Reid is not in the US house, he is in the US senate.

Second: Prove to me that anything this congress has passed is unconstitutional.

Where is the authority to pass the power grab health car bill?
    When has our government ever required you as a private citizen to buy a product?

and see my sig line.

I would love to go on about this subject but I do think that points will be won for political talk that is no weapon related.
    I'm out of this thread now before I get banned.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Past behavior is the best indicator of future behavior. I reference Sotomayor and her 'Second Amendment is settled law' comment. After the election he will forget how to spell NRA. Supporting the enemy because he is better than the other enemy is bad practice.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    Yep, i saw the stuff that you posted. Most of it means nothing at all.

I wonder about those who claim to be NRA members but still have no idea how the NRA works or what it stands for. Methinks that the vast majority of the NRA bashers are not and have never been, NRA members.
    Exactly, you have to give a little in order to gain a lot, some folks still do not realize that is how it works in todays politics. I don't like it, but I have to play it that way myself, I have to give a little and have gained a lot for my department, I still hold my integrity, so giving a little to compromise is a small price to pay.

This is the part that got me, there is always one part in every communication if you read closely enough that will spark an interest to those who are use to looking for it.

Then this week, RedState broke the story of the “gag order” the NRA issued to members of its Board on the Kagan nomination.

Ok, now correct me if I'm wrong and I don't mind, but how many folks are above the board of directors? Really, we have the President of the company (CEO) whatever you want to call them and you have a board of directors, who issued the GAG Order to the board when the board is the NRA, I found that highly suspicious. Maybe it's just me.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Don't get me wrong here, I'm not a Reid supporter, oh no, but I don't take everything at face value either especially when I find certain items very suspicious.

No one else should either, if other information is available, then fine, post it, support your accusations, the NRA is still the best tool we have folks, those other organizations are good maybe, but don't have the clout from what I understand, so saying I'll take my balll and go home defeats our purpose.

Think about it.
    Last edited by Guardian; July 4th, 2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Words
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I could never vote for Reid, but I understand why the NRA is doing what it is doing. Don't forget that these guys are based in Fairfax, right outside Washington. They know how to play the game to get what they want.

NRA on firing line over Reid
    By: Manu Raju and Jonathan Allen
    July 3, 2010 07:01 AM EDT

The National Rifle Association is in unfamiliar terrain on the conservative firing range this election year: It’s the target.

The conservative Netroots are abuzz over the possibility that the NRA may endorse Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.). This would be the second major slight by the NRA for political conservatives — the gun group also just negotiated a big exemption on a campaign finance bill loathed by the right.

Conservatives say there’s a clear political calculation at work: If Reid loses, he’s almost certain to be succeeded as majority leader by a fierce gun-control advocate, either Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin or New York Sen. Chuck Schumer.

The NRA isn't even denying this line of reasoning but says it hasn’t made a decision about whether to endorse Reid.

“The Second Amendment and the National Rifle Association are always one bad incident away from politicians like Chuck Schumer and Dick Durbin exploiting their agenda of gun control,” said Andrew Arulanandam, an NRA spokesman.

Still, the fact that a Reid endorsement is even a possibility has conservatives buzzing.

“Sharron Angle has been a true patriot on Second Amendment issues in the Nevada Legislature, and Harry Reid both voted for every anti-gun nominee [Barack] Obama has put up and voted for the Brady bill, the assault weapons ban, etc.,” conservative blogger Erick Erickson wrote on Redstate.com. “People at the NRA and people in the Senate are telling me the NRA will be endorsing Harry Reid later this year and the only way to stop it is to be very vocal about it right now. So keep making sure they know it would be unacceptable.”

It all portends a nasty and prolonged fight between Republicans and a highly influential lobby that has long been a GOP partner in Washington policy battles — and it could hardly come at a worse time for Republicans, who see the Nevada race as one of the GOP's best opportunities to cut into Democrats’ 59-seat majority.

Officially, the NRA is holding its fire for now in the race between Reid and tea-party-backed Republican nominee Angle, but conservatives are building a case that it’s a matter of when, not if, Reid will get the gun group’s nod.

First, Reid has a fairly favorable lifetime rating from the NRA. And then there’s the $61 million for the Clark County Shooting Park, earmarked by Reid, which led Wayne LaPierre, chief executive officer of the National Rifle Association, to call Reid “a true champion” of the Second Amendment at an event commemorating the opening of the 2,900-acre park in April.

That’s triggered a new round of recriminations from gun rights activists, many of whom believe the NRA is sort of a pale, commercial version of more dogmatic groups such as the Gun Owners of America.

“Harry Reid Buys NRA Endorsement With $61 Mil in Pork Spending?” asks the headline at one conservative blog known as Riehl World View.

The NRA says it won’t make an endorsement — if it does make an endorsement — until the fall, when it can better judge the full results of the legislative season. This means an endorsement would come closer to the November election, when it would have greater impact.

An NRA endorsement would undoubtedly help Reid rebut criticism that he’s become a down-the-line liberal since taking over the leadership of the Democratic Party in the Senate.

Guns already are an important component of his strategy to doff the liberal label: He’s sent direct mail to voters on the issue and ran radio ads during the Nevada primary season proclaiming his “lifelong love of guns” and noting that he started toting his first rifle when he was 12 years old. It was a $100,000 ad campaign, according to Reid aides.

So it’s easy to see why conservatives are worried.

The NRA’s political action committee donated $2,500 to Reid last September and $1,500 in March, according to federal campaign finance records.

Arulanandam emphasized that past actions aren’t tantamount to an endorsement of Reid and reiterated that any decision would most likely be announced in the September-October time frame.

Asked about the criticisms the NRA has received on its posture on Reid and on the campaign finance legislation, Arulanandam said: “We are a nonpartisan organization, and we have supporters on both sides of the aisle, and we have detractors on both sides of the aisle. What we have to do is look out for the welfare of the Second Amendment.”

Conservatives highlight votes they say prove Reid’s not NRA endorsement material, including his 1993 support for the Brady bill, which required a waiting period and background check for the purchase of handguns.

The truth is that Reid has a mixed record on guns: His marks from the NRA have ranged from A+ to F over the years, according to Project Vote Smart, and the Gun Owners of America frequently gives him an “F” rating despite his 100 percent score from the group in 2006.

Brandon Hall, Reid’s campaign manager, dismisses the criticism, saying the majority leader has long been an advocate of gun owners’ rights, pointing to a number of positions he’s taken over the years. For instance, last July, the group sent a letter to its members thanking Reid for opposing Obama administration efforts to reinstate the assault weapons ban.

“If conservatives would look at his record, they’d agree with his record on the Second Amendment,” Hall said.

While the gun fight is red hot right now, both sides expect outside groups to flood the airwaves with ads. Right now, the groups Vote Vets and American Crossroads are the only two on the air in the state, though the Tea Party Express plans to unveil a new ad buy praising Angle. Reid has already dipped into his war chest with a mix of ads criticizing Angle and praising himself, including one released Friday taking credit for helping bring a veterans hospital to Las Vegas.

National Republican Senatorial Committee spokesman Brian Walsh played down the potential impact of an NRA endorsement of Reid, casting the Nevada senator as a champion of organized labor rather than gun owners. Walsh said Angle’s support will come from voters who want to see the state’s 14 percent unemployment rate sharply reduced.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    The research I have done on Reid shows him to flip flop. However on important issues like weapons bans or ammo/gun taxes he is pro-gun. On more minor issues like trigger locks, he tends to be anti.
    One thing to keep in mind, since the anti-gun faction has siezed control of Congress and the White House, he has been instrumental in blocking a lot of anti-gun legislation in the Senate, as he said he would.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I think that he got some public pork, from D.C. and you an me, for a big outdoor target range, out there in the desert somewhere, for people to shoot at and then be grateful and vote for him and Dimuhcrats. Westerners, those folks east of California, are still bitter clingers who keep guns close to their fingers.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Past behavior is the best indicator of future behavior. I reference Sotomayor and her 'Second Amendment is settled law' comment. After the election he will forget how to spell NRA. Supporting the enemy because he is better than the other enemy is bad practice.
    I can't believe that the NRA or so many people here are actually think it's a good idea to support Reid after all he's done in the last decade. As for Sotomayor, you can't trust her either. Voting against McDonald after the 'settled law comment' didn't surprise me one bit. Neither has much regard for the Constitution.

Imagine if Reid squeeks by over Angle and the Republicans only get 50 seats in the house because of it. The dems will retain control the Senate and the country will be screwed for another 2 years. Geez, I can't belive this ****.

From Sharron Anles's website:
    The United States must secure its borders immediately and enforce the laws that are already on the books.

Sharron Angle supports the individual constitutionally protected right of the people to keep and bear arms for security and defense of self, family, property, as well as for other lawful purposes.

Sharron has been endorsed by the Gun Owners of America and has an "A" rating with the National Rifle Association (NRA).

These are but a few of her views. It appears the main difference between her and Reid as I see it is that she believes in Liberty.

Oh, by the way, Rasmussen ( the most accurate poll taker) has Angle ahead of Reid by 7 points.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

NRA endorsing Harry Reid would mean I'd never give another penny to the NRA.
    !. Harry Reid is a crook. Check out his Vegas land deals.
    2. Harry Reid doesn't care about Americans. (except the SEIU, and only if they vote for him)
    3. I don't care who his opponent is, we'll get rid of them next time.
    4. Isn't it time we stood for something, not just the lesser of two evils?

VIP Member

More at

Reid, NRA: This November's Big Losers

and

NRA on firing line over Harry Reid - Manu Raju and Jonathan Allen - POLITICO.com

and

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...est=latestnews

and

http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal...pposes_kag.php

But if Reid votes for Kagan's nomination, it will count against his pro-gun rating. And given that so few gun rights issues have come up, the NRA doesn't have a lot of votes to tally as part of a lawmaker's overall score. That could jeopardize a Reid endorsement this year -- a big deal in a state that leans more libertarian than liberal or conservative.
    http://www.unitedliberty.org/article...rse-harry-reid

Project Vote Smart shows Reid with a “B” from the NRA (from 2004) and an “F” from Gun Owners of America, who I trust so much more than the NRA. His Republican opponent, Sharron Angle, had an “A” rating from the NRA (from 2004).

The NRA is free to endorse whoever they want, they are not behold to a party. However, Angle is clear the better candidate on Second Amendment issues.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post

I for one find it very interesting that just before and soon after EVERY Second Amendment VICTORY
    we find people posting Ad hominem attacks on the NRA on all of the Gun Forums.

I will stick with the NRA and simply ask of you all -

What have YOU done to Support the 2A lately?

To answer your question, I have wrote to my Congressmen, voted, and even contributed to both the GOA, NAGR, and even the NRA. However, I am never giving anything to the NRA again. GOA all the way.

Now the rumor out is that the NRA is backing Reid because if he is beaten he will be replaced by Schummer. They believe Schummmer is more anti gun than Reid. I am waiting until more comes out on this but I do not like Reid or Schummer.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links