NRA Now Leans Toward Endorsing Harry Reid

This is a discussion on NRA Now Leans Toward Endorsing Harry Reid within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Sig 210 Yep, i saw the stuff that you posted. Most of it means nothing at all. I wonder about those who ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NRA Now Leans Toward Endorsing Harry Reid

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    Yep, i saw the stuff that you posted. Most of it means nothing at all.

I wonder about those who claim to be NRA members but still have no idea how the NRA works or what it stands for. Methinks that the vast majority of the NRA bashers are not and have never been, NRA members.
    FYI, I have been an NRA member from 1995 until I decided to switch to the more proactive GOA (been a member since) in 2003. I did not became an NRA member again until this year, although I still donated to the NRA for certain causes. I became a member of the NRA member again since it is free to all active duty military and I figured out I want to help both gun activist organizations. But after the NRA helped passed out the Disclose Act for its own self interest and endorsed anti-gun politician Harry Reid, I am disappointed with them, wished I never rejoined, and vowed to never join again as well as never ever contribute to them again. From then on, I have contribute to the GOA (a member since 2003), SAF, as well as the NAGR. NRA no more.
    Last edited by Jason Storm; July 5th, 2010 at 08:05 PM.

2. Remove Ads

How about this idea?
    Don't endorse either. Period.
    Crawling in bed with Harry Reid shows you are a whore.
    I'm tired of choosing the lesser of two evils, no more.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    They said they may not endorse anyone. At this point it is all speculation.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Burned up many cell phone minutes calling the NRA today. The thoughts I got from those I spoke to was that the calls were coming in fast and furious against any Reid endorsement. I'm waiting to hear back from Chris Cox's office. I will be on the phone tomorrow. As a 31 yr.Life Member a Reid endorsement will be TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. I 'll let everyone know what I find out and I promise that the NRA will know how WE feel !!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Completely agreed. The NRA has secured many important and major wins for us in the past decade. The tide has really turned on gun control and we have the NRA to thank for that. They know what they're doing.

There's a very good reason they don't waste political and financial capital on window-dressing, or feel-good, meaningless actions like backing a marginalized figure like Angle. This is the Big Leagues, not playtime clubhouse in the backyard. If the best option going forward is backing Reid, fine. Obama himself in a live broadcast interview said, "There is no will in Washington for enacting gun control." It's off the table.

And, going forward, if the Senate Majority Leader owes the NRA some huge favors, it improves our position immeasurably. Having the gratitude of Angle would be nice, I guess, but she has zero power and even less influence. That wouldn't change even if she wins her bid for a Senate seat. There's no upside in backing her whatsoever. Politics ain't pretty.
    I agree the NRA has done some fanatastic work of late and as a 31 year Life Member I applaude them,however, if realpolitikis what the NRA is up to then make NO endorsement in the race. Let the two candidiates cancell each other out over gun rights(although I find it hard to really believe Reid is such a wonderful 2nd Amendment supporter!)and let the Nevada voters hopefully kick Reid to the curb based on the rest of his left-wing record. The idea that Reid is a better "devil" than Schumer and therefore should be supported is unbelievable!! Does anyone remember the NRA campaign years back that was titled.."IT"S ABOUT FREEDOM"? Maybe the members need to remind them of that!!!
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    "IT"S ABOUT FREEDOM"
    Brave heart could not have said it better.
    I am tired of the incremental giving of ground. the voting for the lesser of the two bad choices.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    Burned up many cell phone minutes calling the NRA today. The thoughts I got from those I spoke to was that the calls were coming in fast and furious against any Reid endorsement. I'm waiting to hear back from Chris Cox's office. I will be on the phone tomorrow. As a 31 yr.Life Member a Reid endorsement will be TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. I 'll let everyone know what I find out and I promise that the NRA will know how WE feel !!!
    I left a message on their phone regarding the Disclose Act and they never responded. And you know what, every legislative alert they still e-mail me, I have marked as junk.

Latest

Just got off the phone(9:25 EDT)with NRA-ILA. NO endorsements yet. The gentleman said based on the fact,that the NRA has never endorsed Reid before and Sharon has a better voting record,he did not think this was happening. He thinks(no official word yet)that because of the volume of calls etc.,that some sort of announcement is coming to calm everybody down. I hope so, and in the interim keeping calling and e-mailing!

ILA # (800)392-8683
    Member Line# (877)672-2000
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

This just in from the NRA

This is in response to a letter I wrote to the NRA

Thank you for contacting the NRA regarding recent reports that the NRA Political Victory Fund (NRA-PVF) has endorsed U.S. Senator Harry Reid for reelection.
    For the record, the NRA-PVF has not yet made an endorsement in the Nevada U.S. Senate race. In fact, there have been no announced endorsements for any U.S. Senate seat for the November general elections-period.
    For several reasons, we generally do not announce ratings or endorsements until closer to the elections. There are still votes to be graded and other information to be evaluated prior to issuing an accurate grade as Election Day nears.
    The NRA-PVF looks at the entirety of a candidate's record. We start with the candidate's voting record (if any), along with answers to questionnaires, statements and floor speeches the candidate makes on Second Amendment issues, as well as any action the candidate may have taken as a committee member or leader.
    Our endorsements are not given lightly, nor are they issued in every race. An NRA-PVF endorsement is something that has to be earned. As we do every election year, we wait until all the votes are taken and evaluate a candidate's entire record. Making a decision prematurely, before votes are taken, risks giving politicians a "free pass"-something we can't and won't allow.
    It is important to note that the NRA is a single-issue organization. Our ratings and endorsements are based solely on a candidate's support for, or opposition to, our Second Amendment rights. Other issues, as important as they may be to many people, do not and cannot play any role in those decisions. NRA represents a broad coalition of American gun owners, who are bound together by their support for the right to keep and bear arms.
    For us to factor non-gun-related issues into our ratings would foolishly divide our unified base of support on the Second Amendment. This policy has served NRA and gun owners well over the past three-plus decades, making us the nation's pre-eminent pro-Second Amendment advocacy group.
    We fully understand that voters must take into account a variety of issues when deciding for whom to vote. We respect that. It is our responsibility, however, to provide voters with information solely on a candidate's position on gun-related issues so that they may factor that consideration in addition to other issues.
    Admittedly, Senator Reid's record is not perfect; few politicians' records are. For a number of years (primarily in the 1990s) Sen. Reid had some problematic votes on our issue. But in the last five years, he has dramatically improved his record on our issue, so the NRA-PVF would be irresponsible if it did not give due consideration to those recent votes and actions. There is no doubt that, as Senate Majority Leader, Reid has supported efforts to protect Americans' gun rights, both by voting FOR pro-gun measures AND preventing anti-gun legislation from reaching the Senate floor.
    In 2004, Sen. Reid voted against efforts to reauthorize the Clinton "assault weapons" ban and early last year, flatly stated he would oppose any effort to reinstate an "assault weapons" ban if the Senate were to vote on it in the future. In 2005, Sen. Reid was instrumental in Senate passage (and eventual enactment into law) of the "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act" (PLCAA). That law shut down reckless lawsuits against gun manufacturers and dealers, which attempted to hold them liable for the misuse of firearms by criminals. Sen. Reid also cosponsored the PLCAA in the previous Congress and voted against the Feinstein Amendment to ban so-called "assault weapons" and the Kennedy Amendment that would have banned most hunting ammunition.
    Sen. Reid voted for legislation, which became law in 2006, to prohibit gun confiscation during states of emergency. He also voted for legislation to allow commercial airline pilots to be armed in the cockpit to protect their passengers and crew.
    In the last two years, Sen. Reid voted for the Ensign Amendment to repeal the Washington D.C. gun ban and restore self-defense rights in our nation's capital. He cosponsored similar legislation -- S.1414 -- in the 108th Congress. He also voted for an amendment to allow law-abiding citizens to carry firearms for self-defense in national parks and wildlife refuges. This federal policy change took effect on February 22. In addition, Sen. Reid voted last year for the Thune-Vitter Amendment to provide national reciprocity for state Right-to-Carry permits. Sen. Reid also voted twice for the Wicker Amendment allowing Amtrak passengers to include firearms in their checked luggage. In his capacity as Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid made votes on all of these amendments procedurally possible. And these are but a few examples of Senator Reid's support and leadership on Second Amendment issues.
    All of which leads to a very serious question for all NRA members and gun owners who oppose Sen. Reid to contemplate: who would take Reid's place if he loses his race-and his critically important position as Senate Majority Leader? Remember, the Senate Majority Leader is the gatekeeper who decides which legislation will be considered on the Senate floor. If Sen. Reid loses, the next candidate for Majority Leader is very likely to be Chuck Schumer or Dick Durbin-two of the most anti-gun U.S. Senators in history!
    It is critical to the defense of the Second Amendment that we have pro-gun majorities in the U.S. Congress. While no endorsement has yet been issued in this race, nor any other U.S. Senate race for the November general election, rest assured that we will make all of these announcements at the appropriate time and in light of our election policy.
    Thank you for contacting us and please keep an eye out for our grades and endorsements as the election nears.
    Thank you for your support!
    Best regards,
    Sarah
    NRA Member Communications
    "Fail Your Way To Success"
    "A Goal without a Plan, is Just a Dream"
    "Age and treachery will win over Youth and Enthusiasm"

I just received a call-back on my cell from the NRA(2:54pm EDT)and voiced my opinion on the Harry Reid situation. The NRA has NOT endorsed anyone yet, and it sounds like the message of "no Harry"is starting to be heard. I was honest, and acknowledged that as a one-issue association, some political calculations are sometimes necessary. However, I made it clear that Reid is NOT some obscure Democrat senator, but one of two "frontmen"for the Obama agenda and his name is NOT associated with the word FREEDOM! I told the lady who returned my call, that the least the NRA could do was make NO ENDORSEMENT[even though I would prefer an Angle(?spelling?)endorsement] rather than face a bunch of people cutting up their membership cards. I hope she passes the message on!
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    Here is an explanation of the politics involved, from the Wall Street Journal:...

If Reid loses his re-election battle, Durbin and Schumer are widely expected to run for Senate majority leader. Both are more ideologically liberal than Reid on a number of issues, not just guns....

Makes some sense, sad as it may be.
    Agreed, on all points.

People this is a matter of chess, not checkers.
    Your enemys are not black and white but rather they come in shades of grey.

As well the enemy of your greatest enemy (SCHUMER!!!), is your _friend_.
    Sometimes in war in order to gain peace you may find yourself sleeping in a foxhole along with that of an enemy. An enemy as to a lesser degree.

See WWII as related to Russia and the UK as against Germany.
    Our former long time enemy and competitor Great Britain was getting it's collective arse handed to them by the shovel full.
    The days were getting darker and darker for them especially as the whole country of France fell, which was then not exactly frail.
    All that was left to stop Nazi Germany was the UK.
    Meanwhile Japan who we'd not had beef with prior and decent trade relations is enlisted, along with Italy, by Germany to stomp all over Europe and now Africa as well as Asia too. The Axis powers.
    Then Japan got severely bold and decided to blacken the eye of an up to then hands off isolationist view America with an attack on it's own lands at Pearl Harbor.

As a direct result of that we joined forces with Russia. Communist RUSSIA!
    The rest is an amazing story that has been told.

My point?
    Sometimes you have to look to the bigger picture.

Here is a picture of Chuck Schumer for those who may not know or recall...
    * Charles Schumer on Gun Control

* Project Vote Smart - Senator Charles E. 'Chuck' Schumer - Voting Record
    Note: Compare this to that of Harry Reid. Schumer > Reid, plain and simple.

* 09/03 McCarthy/Schumer Bill Duping Pro-gun Legislators

Folks should take a breath and step back to think about the full factors of the math of this situation.
    This is NOT about a short game win but rather a world series loss.

The absolute last person that AMERICA needs in a primary position of power and influence is that of Charles Schumer.

Once again it's chess not checkers.
    Frankly I cannot believe that anyone who knows of Schumer would even question the situation at hand.

It's World War II people, all over again....At home among our Congress.

- Janq

P.S. - It is a known that I am not and have not been a big fan of the NRA for a number of reasons.
    But IMHO their analysis toward this specific picture is on point.
    In checkers the game is pretty straight forward one dimensional play. A child can master it.
    Chess though, not so much.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Janq raises some interesting points. I really and truly DESPISE chuckie schumer (lower case deliberate) but my "gut" tells me that EVEN IF schumer became the "majority leader" it's almost better to put this issue in the face of the American public and let them see how much the liberals hate for them (John Q. Citizen) to have access to firearms on any level. The issue is still radioactive and a loser at the polls. But put it front and center to the people! It's almost a certainty, the liberals (both Democrats and Republicans -- RINOs -- judging from some of the primaries) are losing ground at a phenomenal pace and risk being marginalized for a generation or more. So go ahead, little chuckie, put my 2nd Amendment RIGHTS at risk. You're the one (and those of your ilk from any party) that's going to lose except you're too blind to see it coming. I'm tired of playing defense! There is more at risk than the 2nd Amendment. As has been pointed out before, Reid is the point man for the entire Obama/Pelosi Agenda and in the long run, it means a gun grab anyway. BRING IT ON WHILE THE PEOPLE ARE RILED UP, NOW!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by boerep View Post
    This is in response to a letter I wrote to the NRA

Thank you for contacting the NRA regarding recent reports that the NRA Political Victory Fund (NRA-PVF) has endorsed U.S. Senator Harry Reid for reelection.
    For the record, the NRA-PVF has not yet made an endorsement in the Nevada U.S. Senate race. In fact, there have been no announced endorsements for any U.S. Senate seat for the November general elections-period.
    For several reasons, we generally do not announce ratings or endorsements until closer to the elections. There are still votes to be graded and other information to be evaluated prior to issuing an accurate grade as Election Day nears.
    The NRA-PVF looks at the entirety of a candidate's record. We start with the candidate's voting record (if any), along with answers to questionnaires, statements and floor speeches the candidate makes on Second Amendment issues, as well as any action the candidate may have taken as a committee member or leader.
    Our endorsements are not given lightly, nor are they issued in every race. An NRA-PVF endorsement is something that has to be earned. As we do every election year, we wait until all the votes are taken and evaluate a candidate's entire record. Making a decision prematurely, before votes are taken, risks giving politicians a "free pass"-something we can't and won't allow.
    It is important to note that the NRA is a single-issue organization. Our ratings and endorsements are based solely on a candidate's support for, or opposition to, our Second Amendment rights. Other issues, as important as they may be to many people, do not and cannot play any role in those decisions. NRA represents a broad coalition of American gun owners, who are bound together by their support for the right to keep and bear arms.
    For us to factor non-gun-related issues into our ratings would foolishly divide our unified base of support on the Second Amendment. This policy has served NRA and gun owners well over the past three-plus decades, making us the nation's pre-eminent pro-Second Amendment advocacy group.
    We fully understand that voters must take into account a variety of issues when deciding for whom to vote. We respect that. It is our responsibility, however, to provide voters with information solely on a candidate's position on gun-related issues so that they may factor that consideration in addition to other issues.
    Admittedly, Senator Reid's record is not perfect; few politicians' records are. For a number of years (primarily in the 1990s) Sen. Reid had some problematic votes on our issue. But in the last five years, he has dramatically improved his record on our issue, so the NRA-PVF would be irresponsible if it did not give due consideration to those recent votes and actions. There is no doubt that, as Senate Majority Leader, Reid has supported efforts to protect Americans' gun rights, both by voting FOR pro-gun measures AND preventing anti-gun legislation from reaching the Senate floor.
    In 2004, Sen. Reid voted against efforts to reauthorize the Clinton "assault weapons" ban and early last year, flatly stated he would oppose any effort to reinstate an "assault weapons" ban if the Senate were to vote on it in the future. In 2005, Sen. Reid was instrumental in Senate passage (and eventual enactment into law) of the "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act" (PLCAA). That law shut down reckless lawsuits against gun manufacturers and dealers, which attempted to hold them liable for the misuse of firearms by criminals. Sen. Reid also cosponsored the PLCAA in the previous Congress and voted against the Feinstein Amendment to ban so-called "assault weapons" and the Kennedy Amendment that would have banned most hunting ammunition.
    Sen. Reid voted for legislation, which became law in 2006, to prohibit gun confiscation during states of emergency. He also voted for legislation to allow commercial airline pilots to be armed in the cockpit to protect their passengers and crew.
    In the last two years, Sen. Reid voted for the Ensign Amendment to repeal the Washington D.C. gun ban and restore self-defense rights in our nation's capital. He cosponsored similar legislation -- S.1414 -- in the 108th Congress. He also voted for an amendment to allow law-abiding citizens to carry firearms for self-defense in national parks and wildlife refuges. This federal policy change took effect on February 22. In addition, Sen. Reid voted last year for the Thune-Vitter Amendment to provide national reciprocity for state Right-to-Carry permits. Sen. Reid also voted twice for the Wicker Amendment allowing Amtrak passengers to include firearms in their checked luggage. In his capacity as Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid made votes on all of these amendments procedurally possible. And these are but a few examples of Senator Reid's support and leadership on Second Amendment issues.
    All of which leads to a very serious question for all NRA members and gun owners who oppose Sen. Reid to contemplate: who would take Reid's place if he loses his race-and his critically important position as Senate Majority Leader? Remember, the Senate Majority Leader is the gatekeeper who decides which legislation will be considered on the Senate floor. If Sen. Reid loses, the next candidate for Majority Leader is very likely to be Chuck Schumer or Dick Durbin-two of the most anti-gun U.S. Senators in history!
    It is critical to the defense of the Second Amendment that we have pro-gun majorities in the U.S. Congress. While no endorsement has yet been issued in this race, nor any other U.S. Senate race for the November general election, rest assured that we will make all of these announcements at the appropriate time and in light of our election policy.
    Thank you for contacting us and please keep an eye out for our grades and endorsements as the election nears.
    Thank you for your support!
    Best regards,
    Sarah
    NRA Member Communications
    I don't believe them one bit. They are changing their story just like they did with the backdoor Disclose Act deal they made with the left. Mainly a cover up so that they can continue to get your membership dues while they are deceiving you. They even stated to stop focusing on the Disclose Act and focus with other real issues at hand? Real issues? Disclose Act is a real issue that can affect free speech. NRA is definitely ducking the real issue.

Yep, lets just get wrapped around the axle with feel good stuff that has nothing to do with our precious Second Amendment rights. Let's throw pro-gunner Harry Reid to the dogs so that Chuckie Schumer can run the US senate. Let's elect a person to the US senate because she is a Republican who claims to support our Second Amendment rights but has no pro-gun record. Angel is also an admirer of Prohibition.

Both political party's have their Mickey Mouse agendas that 90 percent of their DC representatives support to the hilt.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    See WWII as related to Russia and the UK as against Germany.
    Our former long time enemy and competitor Great Britain was getting it's collective arse handed to them by the shovel full.
    The days were getting darker and darker for them especially as the whole country of France fell, which was then not exactly frail.
    All that was left to stop Nazi Germany was the UK.
    Meanwhile Japan who we'd not had beef with prior and decent trade relations is enlisted, along with Italy, by Germany to stomp all over Europe and now Africa as well as Asia too. The Axis powers.
    Then Japan got severely bold and decided to blacken the eye of an up to then hands off isolationist view America with an attack on it's own lands at Pearl Harbor.

As a direct result of that we joined forces with Russia. Communist RUSSIA!
    OT... Not exactly. England hadn't been our enemy for a long time. We enjoyed peaceful trade and cultural connections with them. Japan established the "Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere" in the 30's to dominate the region. They were at war with China (Rape of Nanking) and we were actively enforcing an oil embargo against them to choke them into submission. They attacked us in 'self defense' hoping to cripple our Pacific Fleet and keep us out of their business for long enough for them to be completely dominant. They didn't attack Pearl Harbor as a favor to the Fuhrer. And we didn't have warm fuzzies with Russia. They were already against Germany. As a consequence of the Axis alliance, we were against Germany. Russia became our ally by default. We talked to Stalin and worked with them to the defeat of Germany but were very careful to limit their strategic involvement. We worked feverishly to keep certain secrets, technology and prisoners out of their hands and in ours (nukes, jets, rockets, scientists). As victors we were obligated to divvy up the spoils a la land, etc. I believe it was General Patton who suggested that at the end of the war we should ally with Germany and attack Russia. I believe he was not the only person who held such an opinion.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links