Potential elimination of Utah conceal permit requirements (MERGED)

This is a discussion on Potential elimination of Utah conceal permit requirements (MERGED) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; (I'm a Utah resident and Florida non-resident licensee.) Lawmaker proposing end to concealed weapons permit July 1st, 2010 @ 2:52pm SALT LAKE CITY -- A ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Potential elimination of Utah conceal permit requirements (MERGED)

(I'm a Utah resident and Florida non-resident licensee.)

Lawmaker proposing end to concealed weapons permit

July 1st, 2010 @ 2:52pm

SALT LAKE CITY -- A Utah lawmaker wants people in the state to be able to carry guns without a concealed weapons permit.

Rep. Stephen Sandstrom, R-Orem, considers the idea "an improvement" on an already good gun law in Utah and is crafting a bill to introduce during the 2011 legislative session.

Sandstrom, who considers himself a Second Amendment "purist," says this proposal represents the intent of the amendment.

"It does not say you have the right to keep and bear arms as long as you have a permit from the federal government or your local or state government -- it just gives you that right," Sandstrom said. "Bearing arms means carrying them."

Sandstrom points out other guaranteed rights are not held to the same standard.

"It's just like freedom of religion -- you do not have to go and get an exercise of religion card," Sandstrom said.

Three other states do not require concealed weapons permits: Alaska, Arizona and Vermont.

Like the way he thinks ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Odds of this happening in my state

1x10^100 : 1
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

What would that do to all of the non-resident licenses that they issue???

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    What would that do to all of the non-resident licenses that they issue???
    Nothing...
    In Alaska, you do not need a license, but you can get one so that your right to carry is honored in other states (that honor AK). I would imagine it would be the same for AZ, too.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The title of the article makes it sound like he wants to completely eliminate the permits.

Lawmaker proposing end to concealed weapons permit

All 50 States should have the same freedom to cc. You should be able to cc anywhere in the Country. The closest we've come to that is the LEOSA (HR-218) permit for active/retired LEO's. We are still restricted as are all others for Federal buildings.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

JTP
    One of the best things about CC permits here in Texas is that you must be trained on the laws.

I had one view of carrying a gun before I took the class and a different, more sober view of the risks and responsibilities once I completed the class. I appreciate the fact that licensees have had a thorough background check, finger print check, plus training. It is sort of scary thinking about anyone being able to carry a gun without the process now in place.

Potential elimination of Utah conceal permit requirements

There is talk of legislation being proposed to remove the requirement for citizens to obtain a permit for concealed carry. Here is the video and story.

Curious to hear peoples thoughts on this topic. I believe in our rights and think that many have no need for regulation, however, I see the value in the education requirement and background checks for concealed firearm carry integrated into this regulation.

Your thoughts?
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Nothing...
    In Alaska, you do not need a license, but you can get one so that your right to carry is honored in other states (that honor AK). I would imagine it would be the same for AZ, too.
    that is correct

Good for Utah; what we need is more states putting power and trust back into the hands of law abiding citizens.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I grew up in Utah and I think they have pretty good gun laws for the most part. This would be another step in the right direction. I do agree that training and background checks are not bad things, however, once again the BGs don't go through this and they still carry so why shouldn't we all be able to?
    I personally think that all concealed permit laws do is make law-abiding citizens jump through hoops to be able to defend themselves. If a BG fails a background check to get a permit he's not going to say "Dang, I guess I can't carry my gun to rob people anymore, maybe I'll just get a job at walmart."
    No permit laws allow more good people to carry and defend themselves, and exactly the same number of bad people to keep carrying; JMO.

I grew up in Utah and I think they have pretty good gun laws for the most part. This would be another step in the right direction. I do agree that training and background checks are not bad things, however, once again the BGs don't go through this and they still carry so why shouldn't we all be able to?
    I personally think that all concealed permit laws do is make law-abiding citizens jump through hoops to be able to defend themselves. If a BG fails a background check to get a permit he's not going to say "Dang, I guess I can't carry my gun to rob people anymore, maybe I'll just get a job at walmart."
    No permit laws allow more good people to carry and defend themselves, and exactly the same number of bad people to keep carrying; JMO.

(Copied and pasted my response from another thread on this topic because that one will probably get closed, as this one was running first.)

Bigger question...

I think there may be more to it than just that. For instance...In Texas you have to have ten hours of class, shoot at the range, etc...But you CAN get a Utah license and legally carry here with four hours of class time and no shooting.

If Utah eliminates the requirements and therefore the license would a license here still be valid? Would it be grandfathered in? Surely they wont allow someone to carry in Texas with no license because it would be legal in Utah so would that effectively end our reciprocity? I wonder if Texans could still carry there since our requirements would exceed theirs?

Theres been a lot of buzz in the news around here about people getting Utah permits, I wonder if other states are as well and if that has anything to do with this coming up?

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

In the article it states that: "If passed, the bill would eliminate permit requirements. Gun owners, however, would still have the option to get a permit to be recognized in other states." So I don't think anything will change for those with permits.

Constitutional CC. Good thing. That would make 4 states...

Keep that ball a rollin'.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links