Chicago passes revised gun law, allowing handgun ownership

This is a discussion on Chicago passes revised gun law, allowing handgun ownership within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Chicago passes revised gun law, allowing handgun ownership - CSMonitor.com Chicago passes revised gun law, allowing handgun ownership The new gun law, which effectively puts ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicago passes revised gun law, allowing handgun ownership

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Chicago passes revised gun law, allowing handgun ownership - CSMonitor.com

The new gun law, which effectively puts an end to Chicago’s controversial handgun ban, establishes strict guidelines about who can apply for a permit.

One day after Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley unveiled a proposed ordinance regulating firearm ownership, the Chicago City Council passed it by a vote of 45 to 0.

The revised gun law effectively puts an end to Chicago’s controversial handgun ban, which was the last of its kind in the United States. On Monday, the US Supreme Court issued a ruling that put the handgun ban into jeopardy.

The new ordinance allows handgun ownership in Chicago but establishes strict guidelines about who can apply for a permit. It prohibits gun shops within city limits and requires potential handgun owners to register their guns with the Chicago Police Department. In addition, it requires handgun owners to have both a city permit and a state firearms identification card.

The new ordinance also addresses where handguns can be stored, saying that home storage does not include a garage, front porch, or yard. Other excluded sites for storage are hotels, dorms, and group living facilities. For transport outside the home, guns would need to be broken down and not trigger ready.

The ordinance will become law in 10 days. It will then take up to four months for anyone who wants to legally own a gun in his or her home to go through the process.

Chicago aldermen were unanimous in their support of the ordinance. That included Alderman Rey Colon of the 35th Ward who, in remarks before the council, said gun-rights advocates do not understand how unregulated rules on gun ownership threaten neighborhood safety.

“I understand the right to bear arms, but I also understand parents crying in their sleep,” he said.

Mr. Colon’s brother died of a gunshot in 1979.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I can see this being challenged quite well because of the no-hotel-possession provision and the default no-out-of-state-citizens provision.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

jfl
    Geeeeeeeeezzzzzz.
    At least they don't require a $1,000,000 insurance
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Challanges to King Richard

paramedic70002 has hit two possible challanges - no hotel and being a non-Chicago (not to mention non-Illinois) resident; this non-Illinois thing also now impacts the FOID card, since fundimental rights are not limited by residence.

I have an interesting 3rd one - Can his Highness (or, as we believe his Lowness) define the physical description of a non-hotel residence?

Does anybody in Illinois have the legal definition of a home/domicile?
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Hmmm registration....well I'm not gonna go into what all is wrong with this crap, anyone with an odor of common sense can see the travesty that is Chicago law. I love Kansas!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    This law won't take long to be challenged. I love to see Chicago's tax payers keep paying millions to support their retarded government's ideas.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Chicago passed a vote 45-0 that all handguns are banned outside of the gun shop and outside of the home in the city.

Source Fox News Channel @ 1810 today - Bret Bauer

Yeah it wont take long before that goes to supreme again.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

I'm sure all the armed criminals will make a mad rush to register their guns, get a FOID card, and begin carrying their guns unloaded with gunlock in their trunks.....

What lunacy! Thank God I live in NC!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

With all the requirements they have initiated there won't be many citizens going to the trouble of buying guns, taking classes, or registering. Most will just keep a low profile and keep quiet about owning. Defense is a little tough when you have to unlock the safe or take the trigger lock off.

Here's the actual ordinance:

New Chicago Gun Law

You have 5 days after bringing a gun into the city to register it. Since there are no gun stores or gun sales allowed in Chicago, any firearm in the city must have been brought in from somewhere else. How in the world does the city know when a particular gun was brought into the city. "Gee Officer, I used to keep this at my office [friend's house, country estate, lake house, etc] and just brought it into the city last night. I was going to register it tomorrow."

Seriously, there are so many things wrong with this law. I wish Daley would realize that targeting law-abiding citizens doesn't reduce crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Flight View Post
    With all the requirements they have initiated there won't be many citizens going to the trouble of buying guns, taking classes, or registering. Most will just keep a low profile and keep quiet about owning.
    Same as before. It's estimated that there are at least 100,000 unregistered handguns in the city. Let's see how many of these will be registered 6 months from now.

Twits.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post

For transport outside the home, guns would need to be broken down and not trigger ready.

The ordinance will become law in 10 days. It will then take up to four months for anyone who wants to legally own a gun in his or her home to go through the process.
    These are the two biggest things that stood out to me (besides the registration of course). So if you are leaving your house you need to strip the gun down? That seems extreme, I see it being challenged in court really fast because it still denies your right to self defense outside the home.
    4 months just to get ownership?! That is ridiculous. For the millionth time no BG is going to go through all that to legally own his gun. I don't understand why politicians don't understand that. If they are willing to rob, rape, murder, etc... why would they be willing to go through your 4 month process so that their weapon of choice is legal when they are committing crimes?
    As for the registration we all know that does absolutely nothing.
    I guess it is a step in the right direction but they still have a LONG LONG way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links