No Guns For Negroes

This is a discussion on No Guns For Negroes within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I came across this fascinating mini-documentary on Blip TV about how gun laws have been -and still are - used to keep our black countrymen ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: No Guns For Negroes

No Guns For Negroes

I came across this fascinating mini-documentary on Blip TV about how gun laws have been -and still are - used to keep our black countrymen unarmed:
    "No Guns for Negroes"
    The most interesting thing (to me) was the mention of the Deacons for Defense and Justice, a voluntary militia (there's that dirty word again) of southern black Korea and WWII vets who protected civil rights marchers and black neighborhoods during that tumultuous era. I'm ashamed to say I'd never heard of them before. It also turns out that Professor Lance Hill of Tulane University published a book about them in 2006 which I plan on ordering very soon. Amazing stuff.
    Last edited by Naufragia; July 3rd, 2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: correcting an italics error

2. Remove Ads

Thank you sharing. I just finished watching it. Some of the information was very eye opening.

I never heard of this either. Very educational.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Another example of the history the liberal education system teaches, or should I say indoctrinates students with.

This should be mandatory view and the book mandatory reading, in every school in the country. But don't hold you breath waiting for that to happen.

There is much about American history that is being ignored, perverted or rewritten. Do a search on "black confederates". You be amazed at the history you will uncover.
    NRA Life Member

I find it disturbing that we denied black countrymen the very rights they fought for,and today try to use the same rhetoric to disarm people of all colors and races,saying that guns commit violence when in reality guns in the hands of law abiding citisens prevent violence,I can only imagine the terror the KKK and other groups instilled in black americans and made it illegal for them to defend themselves.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Maybe I'm just slow and dimwitted, but that pseudo-documentary made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

My CHL class had about 25-percent black attendees. The gun shops and gun shows I visit have plenty of black attendees. If your city and state allows firearm ownership, race is not used to bar certain citizens from defending themselves with firearms.

If there are law restrictions, they apply to all citizens equally.

The only point I could potentially see this film making is that the producers would like to repeal laws barring felons from owning guns, but they didn't go there. So I'm at a loss to understand what the point of the film was.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Maybe I'm just slow and dimwitted, but that pseudo-documentary made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

My CHL class had about 25-percent black attendees. The gun shops and gun shows I visit have plenty of black attendees. If your city and state allows firearm ownership, race is not used to bar certain citizens from defending themselves with firearms.

The only point I could potentially see this film making is that the producers would like to repeal laws barring felons from owning guns, but they didn't go there. So I'm at a loss to understand what the point of the film was.
    You need to watch it again and put your prejudices aside. How many African-Americans were in your ccw class has nothing to do with the historical perspective this film is talking about.

You comment about the film wanting to repeal laws barring felons from owning guns is a truley repugnant statement

Whether your misunderstanding is due to "being slow and dimwitted", I can't say. But you are completely missing the point.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Good resource.

Been around for a while and cited here on DC at the Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership - Homepage site

First, I'd seen at blip.tv (since 2005) Also. sounds like this is a slightly updated version. Thanks for the site.

BTW -- there are some more good resources at the "Jews For The Preservation Of Firearms Ownership" site cited above. Check them out!

If this subject is new to you, you might want to check out: http://www.blackmanwithagun.com/
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    You need to watch it again and put your prejudices aside. How many African-Americans were in your ccw class has nothing to do with the historical perspective this film is talking about.

You comment about the film wanting to repeal laws barring felons from owning guns is a truley repugnant statement

Whether your misunderstanding is due to "being slow and dimwitted", I can't say. But you are completely missing the point.
    Hi. Thanks for interposing for me with Mr. "shockwave." I was about to instruct him on the same things, but in far less diplomatic language (might have got me kicked out).
    I also like your previous comment about education. We have to educate ourselves these days, which puts the First Amendment hand in hand with the Second. No more reliance on the "Establishment." Take care.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Good resource.

Been around for a while and cited here on DC at the Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership - Homepage site

First, I'd seen at blip.tv (since 2005) Also. sounds like this is a slightly updated version. Thanks for the site.

BTW -- there are some more good resources at the "Jews For The Preservation Of Firearms Ownership" site cited above. Check them out!

If this subject is new to you, you might want to check out: Black Man With A Gun Guns, How-to's, News and a fun Podcast "The Urban Shooter"
    Excellent web sites for 2-A information.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

You need to watch it again and put your prejudices aside
    A film of this sort is like an essay. It should begin with a premise, develop that theme, and bring it to a conclusion, re-iterating the thesis statement and demonstrating how it was confirmed.

This mish-mash did nothing of the sort. It began confused and meandered all over the place. Repeatedly, the speakers make assertions that are not proven and in several places say things that are unquestionably false.

In the past, there were restrictions placed on gun ownership that did indeed affect the black community. The film does cite such laws and cultural biases adequately. But around the point where they get to Lyndon Johnson signing the 1968 Gun Control Act, the film loses focus.

Why does the film cite this act as being a factor in preventing blacks from owning firearms? There's a good reason I mentioned bans on felons owning guns, and taking umbrage over that, digitalex, implies that you are unfamiliar with the act. In short, it did three things:

First, it prohibited interstate traffic in firearms and ammunition. Second, it denied guns to specific classes of individuals such as felons, minors, fugitives, drug addicts, and the mentally ill. Third, it prohibited the importation of surplus military weapons into the United States as well as guns and ammunition not federally certified as sporting weapons or souvenirs.
    So why did the film raise the matter of the Act with respect to it being problematic for blacks who wish to own firearms? As I stated in my original comment above, black citizens in America who wish to own firearms face no restrictions beyond those that apply to anyone else of any race or background. The filmmakers appear to be saying that this is not so, but produce no evidence to support the claim.

All that said, Nixon's "War on Drugs" has been a tremendous assault on minority communities and a consequence of that does indeed affect firearm ownership. There are a number of salient points that can be raised on this subject, but the film didn't raise any of them.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming09 View Post
    I came across this fascinating mini-documentary on Blip TV about how gun laws have been -and still are - used to keep our black countrymen unarmed:
    "No Guns for Negroes"
    The most interesting thing (to me) was the mention of the Deacons for Defense and Justice, a voluntary militia (there's that dirty word again) of southern black Korea and WWII vets who protected civil rights marchers and black neighborhoods during that tumultuous era. I'm ashamed to say I'd never heard of them before. It also turns out that Professor Lance Hill of Tulane University published a book about them in 2006 which I plan on ordering very soon. Amazing stuff.
    I wouldn't feel to bad. It's my cultures history and I have never heard of them either. However now that you bring it up I plan on doing some more research!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

washingtonpost.com

In Clarence Thomas's gun rights opinion, race plays a major role
    By Courtland Milloy

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

He hardly ever speaks during oral arguments, often appearing asleep on the bench. But in his written opinion Monday supporting the right to bear arms, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas roared to life.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    washingtonpost.com

In Clarence Thomas's gun rights opinion, race plays a major role
    By Courtland Milloy

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

He hardly ever speaks during oral arguments, often appearing asleep on the bench. But in his written opinion Monday supporting the right to bear arms, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas roared to life.
    Beat me to it. It's outstanding.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post

Your state of Florida may not be restrictive to blacks on this issue, but other states such as New York (NYC) and Illinois (Chicago) have very restrictive gun laws that are based in racial discrimination such as was described in the movie.

Where I live on Long Island, NY it is impossible to get a carry license unless you meet the restrictive requirements of the Suffolk County Police Department - which in my opinion (and a statement was made to this in the movie) uses "Gun Control" laws based on Nazi era Germany.

Hopefully the recent Supreme Court ruling will be the beginning of the end for many of these laws nationwide.

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links