Federal housing confiscates gun?

This is a discussion on Federal housing confiscates gun? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; hi All Was reading this article on local news page and I dont understand what gives the housing authority the right to confiscate a gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal housing confiscates gun?

hi All
    Was reading this article on local news page and I dont understand what gives the housing authority the right to confiscate a gun from tenant ? never heard of this thought id ask.
    Katrina survivor presses charges against neighbor :: WRAL.com
    Im sure this has to be a Second Amendment violation?
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

No doubt, there is more to this story, than meets the eye.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I used to live in project housing, so allow me to elaborate my experiences there.

Government property= no firearms. Period, end of story. Legally I can't even carry one when I deliver a pizza there.

And yes it sucks.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

From what I have read, the leases and/or rental agreements used in federally-funded housing projects contain a clause forbidding firearms.

So, each tenant is essentially forced to "voluntarily" give up Second Amendment rights in order to receive subsidized housing.

I would not be surprised if the government tries to place similar restrictions on federally-funded health care, thereby giving each of us the option of exercising our Second Amendment rights or being eligible for medical care (for our own good, of course).

I just get a good warm feeling when I think about those nice folks in Washington DC that care so much about us.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I would expect successful legal challenges in the next decade in light or recent SCOTUS decisions.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

They can also "inspect" your apartment anytime, and without notice as well.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

VIP Member

re: loboleather

Quote Originally Posted by loboleather View Post

I would not be surprised if .
    How about, "I would not be surprised, 'if' little green men ate yellow turnips."

That statement isn't intended as ridicule. There is an important point in there about how we humans think and make errors in our thinking.

Basically, we often think we know what others are thinking or are going to do. We don't realize it, but we are engaging in a form of mind-reading when we do this, and no one can read minds.

We can scare ourselves into a frenzy, and many do, over all manner of thoughts which start with, "I wouldn't be surprised if."

There are lots of things I could get worked up about if I let the "what ifs" of my mind govern my understanding of the world around me.

"What if..." "I wouldn't be surprised if she's thinking.."

A certain amount of this sort of thinking is good, it is rehearsal for reactions to possible events, but almost all of us mortal humans tend to over do it.

There are all manner of horrendous "what if" things we can worry about. With regard to the specific one you mentioned concerning health care, at the moment that isn't in the cards, and when if the day ever comes when that idea starts to gain some momentum, that is when it gets dealt with. Till then, I'm not going to worry about it.

And yes, I would be surprised, because I see nothing in the present law or in the present mood of our critters-- and certainly with the latest McDonald rule having happened, to indicate such a thing would realistically happen.

VIP Member

re: nutz4utwo Agree

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    I would expect successful legal challenges in the next decade in light or recent SCOTUS decisions.
    Yes, if the SC made anything clear it is a right to arms in your home.

Whether or not there will be a challenge is I think problematic. Folks who live in such public housing tend to not have the money to institute and follow through on lawsuits unless there are deep pocket outside organizations pushing a cause.

Hi all just woke up work graveyard shift but I guess what im asking does the housing authority have the right to come in and confiscate your gun at anytime but what is peculiar here is she is evictited and they take her gun when she is booted and do they use the sheriffs to confiscate ? I cant imagine a housing manager saying give me your gun?
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

How did the neighbor know that the other neighbor had the gun unless it was used to threaten the other neighbor? I was under the impression that guns were a no no on federal property.It should be interesting how the law suit, if one is filed will turn out.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    I used to live in project housing, so allow me to elaborate my experiences there.

Government property= no firearms. Period, end of story. Legally I can't even carry one when I deliver a pizza there.

And yes it sucks.
    I believe this could be part of another thread..."No Guns for Negroes"...
    Government racism?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Well I am white, and I lived in Governmental housing, so the race card is out the window. Unless of course you are saying that only minorities are poor.

The issue is that generally speaking project housing is state owned property. (They get the funds from the Feds, and the Feds also have oversight, but the state still owns it.)

The fact that they happen to live there is beside the point. The law says that you cannot have firearms/weapons on state owned property. This isn't really new. I mean you can't just bring any firearm you wish onto a military base, even if you live there. (without checking it into the armory I suppose)

As to the confiscation thing, from my previous experiences they will call the local police who will just kindly ask if they have a weapon there. If yes, then hello trouble. If not, then it probably won't be too hard to get a warrant really.

Or.

They probably used the complaints as PC for an inspection, found the weapon while doing such, and then that would of been grounds for eviction.

Heck, I had to turn over my fishing knife when I lived in the projects because they found it. Said it was a weapon, and had to go or we would.

A fundamental principle of life is the more you depend on the government to support you the more power you give them to exercise control over your life.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Very true.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    Well I am white, and I lived in Governmental housing, so the race card is out the window. Unless of course you are saying that only minorities are poor.

The issue is that generally speaking project housing is state owned property. (They get the funds from the Feds, and the Feds also have oversight, but the state still owns it.)

The fact that they happen to live there is beside the point. The law says that you cannot have firearms/weapons on state owned property. This isn't really new. I mean you can't just bring any firearm you wish onto a military base, even if you live there. (without checking it into the armory I suppose)

As to the confiscation thing, from my previous experiences they will call the local police who will just kindly ask if they have a weapon there. If yes, then hello trouble. If not, then it probably won't be too hard to get a warrant really.

Or.

They probably used the complaints as PC for an inspection, found the weapon while doing such, and then that would of been grounds for eviction.

Heck, I had to turn over my fishing knife when I lived in the projects because they found it. Said it was a weapon, and had to go or we would.
    No, I was not really trying to say that only blacks live in gov housing...I lived in gov housing on a military base in AK, and I kept my guns at home...it was allowed...1983-1990.
    It just seemed to fit with the "No Guns..."thread, that's all.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links