Mc vs Feds - Open military base rights? Opinion q and a.

This is a discussion on Mc vs Feds - Open military base rights? Opinion q and a. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; let em fly, opinions boys and girls. Do you think that the newly ruled case about Mc. Vs. Chi will force open the jaws of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

let em fly, opinions boys and girls.

Do you think that the newly ruled case about Mc. Vs. Chi will force open the jaws of unconstitutional despotism we sailors and marines have to endure on our bases we serve.

Even though I was allowed to have a weapon where I was stationed at Camp Pendelton, CA god forbid I defend my self with it or I go to prison. I mean I could go shoot 203s, Ma Dueces, 30mm, AR, AK, Drags, grenades, drive DPV's with 50s, melt pig barrels, etc... but could not for the fear of the rest of my life behind bars shoot to save my families life. And boy let me tell you there is a murder or two every year on MCB CP CA.

Think that will change without another major court fight?
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

I doubt it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I have been wondering about that also. I don't live on base anymore but when I have a list of places to go and one of them happens to be on base then I either have to go home and put it away or just not carry that day. My base seems to be getting more "gun friendly", our bx has started selling ammo and they are in the process of getting their FFL but its taking forever.
    I think that there a few ways they could go about it because we all know they won't just wake up tomorrow and say "Ok all the restrictions are lifted, base firearm regs will now match state and local laws."
    A. They allow storage in vehicle while running errands/working on base. This is not ideal but it would be a step in the right direction, especially for people in my type of situation.
    B. They allow open carry. I say open carry because I'm more of a realist and once again I don't see them saying that we can CC even with a permit.
    C. They realize that we are adults with rights and as active duty members of the military we are trained in the handling of firearms. If this ever happened then we would see a glorious day when we could drive onto a base with our EDC and it wouldn't be any different than going to the store offbase.
    I don't see them letting us carry while at work/in uniform (unless its part of your duties obviously) but again thats where the vehicle storage would be helpful; because for everyone that doesn't live on base while we are traveling to and from work everyday we have to go unarmed. They could also have storage areas for us in the shop but that would be costly to the squadrons and probably won't ever happen.
    Just my opinions/thoughts.

Military is somewhat Sovereign...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Nope.....I don't think it's going to change a thing on military bases.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Nothing will change on military bases. The federal court system pretty much lets the military run their own show.

VIP Member
    My base seems to be getting more "gun friendly", our bx has started selling ammo and they are in the process of getting their FFL but its taking forever.
    Same here, while the BX does not sell ammo Outdoor Rec does sell firearms; you pick out what you want from a catalog. They then order it and do the transfer when it comes in. They are also conducting CCW classes on base including the range qual.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

It won't change a thing on military bases. The argument will be that it is an all volunteer military, so by joining you voluntarily give up certain rights just like it is for many other areas.
    However, I think individual base commanders have allot of leeway with these things, which is why some bases may be more or less restrictive when it comes to firearms.
    Then again, some of them are outright contradictory. Redstone Arsenal, where I am at, has signs all over the gates prohibiting knives over ~3 or 4 inches, but I can buy bigger than that at the PX and MCSS.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

It isn't going to change a thing, sadly.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I don't see it either, but it would be nice, but I won't hold my breath.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    No change to believe in with Osama in the white house.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member

Power of Congress

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    Nothing will change on military bases. The federal court system pretty much lets the military run their own show.
    Power of Congress: "To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;"

I have no idea what happens when those rules conflict with BOR, but so far all McD has done, in conjunction with Heller, is affirm a right to have one in your home. I'll be presumptuous and say that if the supremes have to weigh your right to have one in your house v the military's right to regulate against that, the military will win--- but that is just my guess.

Also, if you live off base in rented or privately owned property, no one stops you from having a gun in your home. So, there is actually here the issue of who owns the property in which you wish to possess, and does the owner get to make the rules: not really all that different from other similar situations.

I was at the Ft. Belvoir PX the other day (first time in a while) and was surprised to see a very nicely appointed Gun Shop...they had a nice selection, and a catalog that you could order almost anything you didn't see on shelf...

Having said that, no I don't see the military changing its rules much on private firearms on base...the best you could hope for is allowing you to store in your vehicle...

When ever the wife and I run to a local base, I just don't carry that day...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Lead Moderator
    I don't think so....

No one ever said you retain all your rights when you enter the military, there is lots you can't do after signing the papers. That's why they have the UCMJ!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

No one ever said you retain all your rights when you enter the military, there is lots you can't do after signing the papers. That's why they have the UCMJ!
    +1
    The UCMJ has been the law for the US military since 1948. It is not going to change any time soon. If a person cannot tolerate a loss of rights then that person should stay out of the US military.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links