How to find an attorney in case of a self defense shooting ?

This is a discussion on How to find an attorney in case of a self defense shooting ? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; [Wasn't sure of the right place to post this, so I will try here, looks like the best forum for it.] I want to keep ...

Thread: How to find an attorney in case of a self defense shooting ?

How to find an attorney in case of a self defense shooting ?

[Wasn't sure of the right place to post this, so I will try here, looks like the best forum for it.]

I want to keep a few phone numbers of attorneys in my wallet should I ever need them if I am involved in a self defense shooting.

How does a person go about finding a reputable attorney who is well versed in defending a person who was involved in a self defense situation?

[I have only had to use a attorney once in my life and that was to put pressure on a scumbag landlord so I don't really know how all this works.]

Would you typically need to have a previously arranged relationship with said attorney, or can you call one cold and expect a response and representation?

I'm in the northern Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, not far from what a lot of folks would call "Northern Virginia", can anyone make a recommendation?

thanks!

-VAGuy
    Last edited by VAguy; July 22nd, 2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: better title for forum

2. Remove Ads

Um...

Combat Handguns Magazine, Sept 2010, Page 8... :)

The shooter's bar website.

Call the NRA ILA.

There used to be a link on this website with a listing by state of known SD attorneys, seems to of gotten lost for the moment in the shuffle since the upgrade, but it will probably show back up. The NRA ILA would be a group to contact about finding one too. Beyond those, I'll let people who know more about it talk.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The key is not how to find an attorney, it is when to find that attorney. The OP is on the right path in identifying a few lawyers who can be called upon if needed. In the event that one is ever involved in a self-defense situation the best course of action is to shut up and lawyer up immediately. The only statement that needs to be made is something like this, "I was in fear for my life and forced to defend myself, now I need to speak to an attorney".
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I am pretty sure, im gonna go check too now that I am curious, that in GA if you shoot someone on your property that was trespassing or up to no good you cant not be punished or charged for anything once the initial investigation proves self defesnse. You become immune.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

USCCA can help you with that, they are all about self defense shootings , what to do before and after a self defense scenario. u can contact USCCA at timschmidt@usconcealedcarry.com he can help u.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Some very good thoughts on this matter are located here. Recommended read:

Ladies and gentlemen, in the average self-defense shooting, it’s not getting the shooter to talk to us that’s hard — it’s getting him to shut up that’s difficult.

I can tell you to assert your right to have an attorney present during any interview with the police, but in the last 13 years of police work, I’ve never seen a justified Average Joe self-defense shooter who was capable of doing so.
    Also, check out the Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network. Annual dues are $85/year. If you were ever in a self-defense shooting incident, these would be the kind of people to have on your side.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Thanks everyone for the responses, you have provided me with some good information.

If I'm involved in a shooting, I'm thinking I'm going to need a criminal defense attorney.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    There used to be a link on this website with a listing by state of known SD attorneys, seems to of gotten lost for the moment in the shuffle since the upgrade, but it will probably show back up. The NRA ILA would be a group to contact about finding one too. Beyond those, I'll let people who know more about it talk.
    http://www.alumbankweb.com/cc-attorney.htm
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Quote Originally Posted by loboleather View Post
    The key is not how to find an attorney, it is when to find that attorney. The OP is on the right path in identifying a few lawyers who can be called upon if needed. In the event that one is ever involved in a self-defense situation the best course of action is to shut up and lawyer up immediately. The only statement that needs to be made is something like this, "I was in fear for my life and forced to defend myself, now I need to speak to an attorney".
    Anything substantive you might say can be misremembered, misconstrued, and invites further conversation. I would say only: I am invoking my right to remain silent and to consult with my attorney." All the rest of your discussion with the police can be about the logistics of setting up your attorney consultation. Your attorney can inform the police of any facts he deems relevant on your behalf.

I have a membership with Concealed Handgun License Protection Plan(www.chlpp.com). Individual membership costs $129 per year. They supply you with an emergency number in case of a self defense shooting. If you call there 800 number you speak directly to Rick Mackey and not some recording which is nice.

I have typed this before, but I can't find the post so I will type it again.

I have had my CHL since '95 when it became legal in TX. I spoke to a LEO friend of mine at the time and asked who he would call if he or someone in his family had to defend themselves with a firearm in a self defense situation. He got back to me a couple of days later with a name and said he would trust his family to this attorney if that happened. He got names from the Union and then asked other officers that had used them if they would use them if their spouse needed it.(Seems he had not thought of it before and was just gong to leave it to the union if he was involved. I asked about the wife and it made him think, so he asked his fellow LEOs.)
    I called the guy and told him I was getting my CHL when it became law and would like to speak to him about defense. He and I got together in his office for a free consultation where I learned about his 2A views and his approach to a self defense shooting scenario. I decided I liked his outlook and still feel the same today.
    He and I get together about once every 6 months or so and have lunch on my dime. He has said I am the longest relationship he has had since passing the Bar that he has never defended. If I call his number at 3am, he will recognize my number and name. He will post my bond and then we will put together my defense.

His only instructions to me were:
    #1. Tell the 911 operator that I had discharged my weapon in defense of myself, give a description of the surroundings and my attire.
    #2. Follow all LEO instructions.
    #3. Tell The LEOs on the scene that I was in fear for my/another's life, give them my DL and CHL and then ask "To speak to my attorney before I answer any more questions." The LEOs will then stop questioning and either arrest you or let you go home. This keeps you from saying things that might be misinterpreted by a Prosecutor later.

Then you STHU and call him if you haven't already.

Some would say that the $500 or so I have spent on lunch in the last 15 years could have been spent on guns/ammo/equipment, but I consider it a good investment and it is certainly better than me or someone else that I have called collect from jail looking in the Yellow Pages or on-line for someone that might be less than a zealous advocate for my 2A rights and might determine the outcome of the rest of my life.

This is just how I have done it.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Some would say that the $500 or so I have spent on lunch in the last 15 years could have been spent on guns/ammo/equipment, but I consider it a good investment
    You consider correctly. That's a superb investment. Many people will say things like, "why, if that happened, then I'd call my lawyer!" But do they really "have" a lawyer. Sounds like you do. A good working relationship with an attorney is invaluable. If I got into some kind of legal hassle I'd call my personal attorney first. He'll have more resources and contacts than I do and I'll trust his judgement.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    You consider correctly. That's a superb investment. Many people will say things like, "why, if that happened, then I'd call my lawyer!" But do they really "have" a lawyer. Sounds like you do. A good working relationship with an attorney is invaluable. If I got into some kind of legal hassle I'd call my personal attorney first. He'll have more resources and contacts than I do and I'll trust his judgement.
    That's exactly where my head is. Much better than "letting my fingers do the walking."
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Links