SAF Sues in Maryland Over Handgun Permit Denial

This is a discussion on SAF Sues in Maryland Over Handgun Permit Denial within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-99564804.html Teaser: BELLEVUE, Wash., July 29 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Second Amendment Foundation and a Baltimore County, MD man today sued Maryland authorities in federal court ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAF Sues in Maryland Over Handgun Permit Denial

VIP Member

Thumbs up SAF Sues in Maryland Over Handgun Permit Denial

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-99564804.html

Teaser:

BELLEVUE, Wash., July 29 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Second Amendment Foundation and a Baltimore County, MD man today sued Maryland authorities in federal court because the man's handgun permit renewal was turned down on the grounds that he could not demonstrate "a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Woollard's permit was renewed in 2005, after the man was released from prison. That man now lives about three miles from Woollard.
    That should be reason enough.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Saf sues in maryland over handgun permit denial

BELLEVUE, WA - The Second Amendment Foundation and a Baltimore County, MD man today sued Maryland authorities in federal court because the man's handgun permit renewal was turned down on the grounds that he could not demonstrate "a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger."

The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland.

Joining SAF in the lawsuit is Raymond Woollard, who was originally issued a carry permit after a man broke into his home during a family gathering in 2002. Woollard's permit was renewed in 2005, after the man was released from prison. That man now lives about three miles from Woollard. Defendants in the case are Terrence B. Sheridan is the Secretary and Superintendent of the Maryland State Police, and three members of the Maryland Handgun Permit Review Board, Denis Gallagher, Seymour Goldstein and Charles M. Thomas, Jr.

SAF and Woollard are represented by attorneys Alan Gura of Virginia and Cary J. Hansel of Joseph, Greenwald & Laake of Greenbelt, MD.

The lawsuit alleges that "Individuals cannot be required to demonstrate that carrying a handgun is necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger' as a prerequisite for exercising their Second Amendment rights." Plaintiffs are seeking a permanent injunction against enforcement of the Maryland provision that requires permit applicants to "demonstrate cause" for the issuance of a carry permit.

"Laws that empower bureaucrats to deny the exercise of a fundamental civil right because they cannot show good cause to exercise that right can't possibly stand up under constitutional scrutiny," said SAF Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb. "We are supporting Mr. Woollard in this action because constitutional rights trump bureaucratic whims."

The Second Amendment Foundation (www.saf.org) is the nation's oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 650,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control. SAF has previously funded successful firearms-related suits against the cities of Los Angeles; New Haven, CT; and San Francisco on behalf of American gun owners, a lawsuit against the cities suing gun makers and an amicus brief and fund for the Emerson case holding the Second Amendment as an individual right.

Good deal.... and they will win.

A "right" , is a "right" , and you don't need to demonstrate a need to exercise it.... or "freedom of speech " would have no basis either... or about any other Consitutional Amendment or "right".
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Permanent injunction. Those words have a certain ring to them. I like it.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

You shouldn't need a reason to begin with. Self-defense is the unversal reason.

Senior Moderator
    Threads merged.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Lead Moderator
    Living in Maryland I really hope SAF wins this and Maryland becomes "Shall Issue", but I personally don't have high hopes. Maryland is not really very restrictive as far as ownership goes, compared to some other "anti-gun" states, NJ for example.

The State places the heavy restrictions mostly on carry (no stops at Mickey D's on the way home from the range!) , and sadly I think that the light restrictions on ownership will end up being the stumbling block in the case. Maryland is not like D.C. was...
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Man its nice that someone is fighting but how long until these so called rights we have are just a memory nationwide.

Guess that is why God created elections.....

This is not meant to be a political advertisement of any sorts but its the politicians that caused this lawsuit to happen to themselves and we have GOT TO vote these radicals out of office this November.

I hope SAF wins and the cronies lose.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    This case is less about 2nd amendment rights and more about trumping the constitution which is being done every day by bureaucratic scumbags in the guise of knowing what is best for us dummies. Either the constitution stands as the fundamental basis for freedom and liberty in the United States or it doesn't, it doesn't get much simpler than that, unless of course you're a lawyer or a politician.
    Last edited by GunGeezer; July 30th, 2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: spelling error

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Where's that happy dance icon...

It sounds like SAF found a really good plaintiff for this case.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

That's good to hear. I hope the lawsuit is successful. I hope all the communist states get what's coming to them for denying 2A rights.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post

Try just banana between :'s as in
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post

It would appear the latest update somehow ate it!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Good deal.... and they will win.

A "right" , is a "right" , and you don't need to demonstrate a need to exercise it.... or "freedom of speech " would have no basis either... or about any other Consitutional Amendment or "right".
    I hope you are right, but who can tell for sure?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links