Shreveport, LA. : "Do you have rights ?"

This is a discussion on Shreveport, LA. : "Do you have rights ?" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This country is going to the toilet quick. How about Shreveport ? Anyone here that live in that area ? Any truth that your rights ...

Thread: Shreveport, LA. : "Do you have rights ?"

Shreveport, LA. : "Do you have rights ?"

This country is going to the toilet quick. How about Shreveport ? Anyone here that live in that area ? Any truth that your rights are screwed when a cop pulls you over, therefore he basically can do what he pleases' ? Anyone have any stories to share ?
    Read up on this and tell me what you think...
    http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread598865/pg1
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

2. Remove Ads

OK, so somebody tell me what I'm missing here. Far as I know, if a cop pulls you over, it's a good idea to mention that you're carrying. There is specific language and a protocol for that, and we all know what that is.

At that point, the officer can make a decision. Sometimes he or she will say, "Fine, just leave it where it is and keep your hands away from it," and sometimes they'll ask you for it, and then put it on the roof of the car or something while they conclude the stop. Officer's discretion. So this article is about a cop who elected to pursue the latter strategy. And for this the spastic blogger who wrote that waste of 2 minutes of my time is heralding the onset of the totalitarian state? Gimme a break.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

From what I remember, the issue wasn't so much with the "officer safety/discretion" issue as much as it were the reason for the stop. The person pulled over had basically claimed he was being politically profiled,as in he was stopped for the pro-gun stickers on the back of his car rather than the traffic infraction of failing to signal. You also have to remember that this happened around the same time as that report that came out calling right wingers, conservatives, members of gun groups etc... as homegrown terrorists...

This subject has been discussed at length here and I forget the final disposition. Use the search function and search around for the original thread.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    OK, so somebody tell me what I'm missing here. Far as I know, if a cop pulls you over, it's a good idea to mention that you're carrying. There is specific language and a protocol for that, and we all know what that is.

At that point, the officer can make a decision. Sometimes he or she will say, "Fine, just leave it where it is and keep your hands away from it," and sometimes they'll ask you for it, and then put it on the roof of the car or something while they conclude the stop. Officer's discretion. So this article is about a cop who elected to pursue the latter strategy. And for this the spastic blogger who wrote that waste of 2 minutes of my time is heralding the onset of the totalitarian state? Gimme a break.
    + 1! Like it or not right now "it is what it is". Keep voting for the right candidates and writing to the ones in office, demanding,properly/ politely, that the RTKBA is indeed a right of all law abiding citizens.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

This is an old story and one that was made into a big deal out of nothing. The man was stopped for a traffic violation and when he notified the officer he was carrying, the officer decided, for both of their protection, he wanted possession of said firearm. After the traffic violation was addressed, the man received his weapon back and was on his way. The man was not stopped just for the stickers on his truck as claimed; however I'm sure his attitude combined with the stickers may have played into him being disarmed for the duration of the traffic stop.

The problem was, the man was upset and decided to speak with the mayor about it; the mayor was trying to explain that the officer had authority to disarm him during a traffic stop, but done an awful job of it and put his foot in his mouth in the process; of course, this is where the big stink came from. I'm not taking up for the mayor, as it's his job to dot the i's and cross the t's when dealing with the public.

Point is, I worked in Shreveport for many years, was working there when this went down and have NEVER had a bad experience with Shreveport LEO's about being armed. In fact it's legal to open carry there and they have no problems with that either; the whole incident was blown out of proportion, just because the officer chose to disarm this man for the duration of the traffic stop. I fully support an officers decision to disarm a person if they feel it necessary for their safety. I've been stopped there a couple of times and when I notified the officers I was carrying, it was not a big deal and I was not disarmed; this leads me to believe the man gave the officer a good reason to feel it necessary to take extra steps for safety during that stop.
    John Luttrell

Links