Blind Man Having His Guns & License Confiscated (NJ) - Page 3

Blind Man Having His Guns & License Confiscated (NJ)

This is a discussion on Blind Man Having His Guns & License Confiscated (NJ) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ctr Every blind person I have met is well aware of their limitations. Does a blind person have limitation in executing a ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Blind Man Having His Guns & License Confiscated (NJ)

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Every blind person I have met is well aware of their limitations.

Does a blind person have limitation in executing a justified ccw shooting? You bet. But how on earth can anyone justify denial of the most basic right of all, to live and defend oneself - every hear of contact shots? Most defensive shootings happen within 3 feet. I have no doubt that a blind person can tell exactly where someone is standing that close to them.
    Exactly so.

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    To be able to carry a gun concealed in public, I feel like vision plays a very big part in that.
    Only beyond a certain distance. That's simply not the only distances at which a firearm is useful and effective.

And very few (if any) upstanding people are going to be blasting away at something "in that general direction" where they cannot distinguish the deadly threat. That's no different for sight-impaired people. Trouble is, disarming such a person takes away one of the most effective defensive tools. That's a pretty darned high price, for mere fears a person's going to go haywire and blast away.

Again, show ANY example of this sort of thing, and then we'll be able to speak to the likelihood of the risk. Until then, it's simply a fear.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    That's good news. So we can finally rid ourselves of Rule #IV

RULE IV

IT'S OK TO BE UNSURE OF YOUR TARGET - REALLY....DON'T GIVE IT A PASSING THOUGHT UNTIL YOU ACTUALLY KILL OR MAIM AN INNOCENT PERSON.

There is no need to know what anything is - or who - or what is behind your target.
    It is A-OK for your muzzle to cover other people as long as you don't know they are there. Maybe you will but, maybe you won't destroy people that you cover with your firearm muzzle. It should be up to innocent people to either duck behind cover or get the Hell out of your way should you need to defend yourself with your firearm out in puplic places.
    It's fine to shoot at absolutely anything you have not positively identified. Don't sweat it.
    Even wearing a blindfold while defending your life (for fully sighted persons) should be considered to be proper gun handling from this point forward.
    It is no longer important for you to be fully aware of your surroundings no matter if you are at the range or in a gunfight out in public.
    Try really hard to know WHAT you are doing even if you cannot actually SEE what you are doing.
    It is OK to compromise on safety....and your most valuable sense for purposes of self defense is no longer relevant. Your RIGHT to blindly launch deadly projectiles with a killing range of 1.5 Miles trumps being able to actually see what is out there.
    It is downright SILLY for others to believe that you actually need to be able to see and know who and what you are shooting at.
    ALWAYS try to smell if any innocent people are out there in your immediate line of fire before you pull the trigger unless (of course) the wind is blowing in the opposite direction.
    In which case don't worry about it too much.
    Weapon mounted lights are no longer necessary. Firearms will no longer sport obsolete picatinny rails for mounting TAC Lights.
    Indoor shooting ranges will now be completely dark and minus all forms of artificial lighting. Please disregard the earlier version of Rule IV.
    All totally blind people will now be eligible for Military Service since you have no problem whatsoever identifying the enemy and sorting them out from innocent civilians. Congress did not recognize that you could do that by means of your greatly heightened sense of smell and hearing up until such time as they read this thread on DefensiveCarry.com.
    Alway be certain that you have your Braille version of your License To Carry on your person at all times so that totally Blind Law Enforcement Officers will know that it's legal for you to carry.

Oh Wait...Stupid Me!...What was I thinking???...You're totally BLIND. You can't read my post to see that the rules have changed.

Oh Well...that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Now that the rules have changed....I'm finished here. I have a forum to moderate.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    That's good news. So we can finally rid ourselves of Rule #IV

[
    All totally blind people will now be eligible for Military Service since you have no problem whatsoever identifying the enemy and sorting them out from innocent civilians. Congress did not recognize that you could do that by means of your greatly heightened sense of smell and hearing up until such time as they read this thread on DefensiveCarry.com.
    Alway be certain that you have your Braille version of your License To Carry on your person at all times so that totally Blind Law Enforcement Officers will know that it's legal for you to carry.

Oh Wait...Stupid Me!...What was I thinking???...You're totally BLIND. You can't read my post to see that the rules have changed.

Now that the rules have changed....I'm finished here. I have a forum to moderate.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^In bold above is simply ludicrous^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The military disqualifies thousands on many different stipulations.
    Should those people also LOSE their right to carry , or own firearms based on those assumptions also.?????

Examples below, taken directly from the military site noted here;;; http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r40_501.pdf

2–5. Dental
    a. Current diseases of the jaws or associated tissues that prevent normal functioning are disqualifying. Those
    diseases include, but are not limited to temporomandibular disorders (524.6) and/or myofascial pain that have not been
    corrected.
    b. Current severe malocclusion (524), which interferes with normal mastication or requires early and protracted
    treatment, or a

2–6. Ears
    a. External ear. Current atresia (744.02) or severe microtia (744

2–8. Endocrine and metabolic disorders

b. Hand and fingers.
    (1) Current absence of the distal phalanx of either thumb (885) is disqualifying.
    (2) Current absence of distal and middle phalanx of an index, middle, or ring finger of either hand, irrespective of
    the absence of the little finger (886), is disqualifying

2–14. Genitalia
    a. Female genitalia.
    (1) Current or history of abnormal uterine bleeding (626.2), including, but not limited to menorrhagia, metrorrhagia,
    or polymenorrhea, is disqualifying.
    (2) Current unexplained amenorrhea (626.0) is disqualifying.
    (3) Current or history of dysmenorrhea (625.3) that is incapacitating to a degree recurrently necessitating absences
    of more than a few hours from routine activities is disqualifying.
    (4) Current or history of endometriosis (617) is disqualifying.

2–15. Urinary system
    a. Current cystitis (595), or history of chronic or recurrent cystitis is disqualifying.
    b. Current urethritis (597.80), or history of chronic or recurrent urethritis is disqualifying.
    c. History of enuresis (788.30) or incontinence of urine after 13th birthday is disqualifying (

Shall we continue based on this assumtion????

I think not, because if we did, there would be nobody carrying a weapon in this country based on the military and QKShooters guidelines for acceptance.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Administrator
    Gee...oneshot. I was totally unaware of that until you just now brought that to my attention.
    That's pretty neat how you totally sidetracked the focus completely away from the tread topic.
    Let's talk about people with urinary problems now and how that could possibly affect their right to carry a firearm out in public.

I submit the following as proved and easily document-able fact.
    Every single time on this forum and on every other firearm related forum on the INTERNET - there is one thing that all of those sites have in common. Inclusive of DefensiveCarry.
    Every time there is a story or scenario posted of an accidental/negligent discharge or an innocent person gets shot.
    Or a innocent person gets hit with a stray bullet or a shooter injures him or herself.
    Or there is a range accident or somebody touches off a round at a gun show...blah...blah...blah...you get the picture.

At least ten seasoned, responsible, logical, and educated shooters will post that the tragic incident only happened because that person did not adhere to one or more of the basic "tried and true" accepted, longstanding, rules that govern safe firearm handling.

Every single person that has been on any gun or firearm related forum for any length of time knows that above statement is true.

It's my personal opinion that a totally blind person out in a public places CANNOT abide by two of those basic rules due to the fact that strict adherence to those two rules requires at least some degree of eyesight.
    That is not arguable or debatable.

A totally blind individual lacks eyesight - so what is a logical and thinking person to conclude regarding a totally sightless person discharging a firearm out in a public place?

You need to be honest and truthful with yourself regarding your answer. It's not something you can change or alter just because ideally you wish it was not so.

kpw
    Every once in a while, one of these blind guy with a gun threads shows up and people make assumptions about how a blind CCWer would act in a public situation. I've known my step-dad since I was 14, because of him, I've gotten to know many others. In college, I had a job aiding blind students. I can tell you that, without doubt, that they are much more aware of their own limitations than we are of ours. If you think your going to see a blind person open up in a diner or mall trying to take out a BG, forget it. There are very few scenarios that they will be able to use that firearm effectively and they know it better than we do. Not all blind people are like Stevie Wonder either. Some have adapted better to their circumstance than others and are much more capable in just about everything they do. Like with most subjects, assumptions can leave you with a less than educated opinion.

Btw, QKShooter, my step-dad lives here in PA. If ya see a blind guy at the range shooting a G19 or Colt .38, say hello.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Administrator
    "Btw, QKShooter, my step-dad lives here in PA. If ya see a blind guy at the range shooting a G19 or Colt .38, say hello."

I sure will do that...by phone...from outside.

kpw
    "Btw, QKShooter, my step-dad lives here in PA. If ya see a blind guy at the range shooting a G19 or Colt .38, say hello."

I sure will do that...by phone...from outside.
    you should see him drive...he has a preference for manuals!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    you should see him drive...he has a preference for manuals!

And...even though my curiosity is throughly peaked I won't embarrass you by asking you for the name of the gun range in Pennsylvania that allows a totally blind shooter to shoot at their range unsupervised.

And...if (in fact) that could be verified with a phone call...because I absolutely hate it when I force folks to Hem & Haw. <~~~

Is your StepDad "legally" blind or totally blind?

VIP Member

Question The Law?

FWIIW, I know folk who own cars but do not have a license to drive them -- some for reasons of health and sight.

So, a slightly different tack, here.

1) Does NJ require a permit/license to own a firearm? I found the law re: purchase but must have missed the one on ownership, if there is one.. Anyone have a citation for own/possess/etc?

2) Is the proposed legal action based on the requirements of such a permit/license? Or is it something else? If so what else?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

kpw

And...even though my curiosity is throughly peaked I won't embarrass you by asking you for the name of the gun range in Pennsylvania that allows a totally blind shooter to shoot at their range unsupervised.

And...if (in fact) that could be verified with a phone call...because I absolutely hate it when I force folks to Hem & Haw. <~~~
    Might be kinda hard to do by himself, he doesn't drive (except in empty parking lots! ). If you see him at the range, someone will be with him. Supervising...I don't know, helping him get setup is more like it. He does have limitations and I don't believe I've implied that he didn't.
    As for ranges, there isn't one around here, to my knowledge, that restricts people because of physical disabilities, blind or otherwise. If you'd like a list of places I've shot with him, PM me. I'd be happy to give it to ya with links. Hope that was too much hemming & hawwing there.
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Administrator
    Interesting. Does he have a PA License To Carry Concealed. Honestly. Just curious.

kpw
    Interesting. Does he have a PA License To Carry Concealed. Honestly. Just curious.
    Yes, Erie County. I know he isn't the only one either. Sandy Amendola is the deputy in charge of LTCFs in Erie.

Not trying to be a stickler but in PA it's a License To Carry Firearm = LTCF. No concealment implied or required on the license.
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member

Question NJ guy's permit type???

BTW -- Brings up a point -- does the NJ guy in the OP have a carry permit or a purchase permit?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    BTW -- Brings up a point -- does the NJ guy in the OP have a carry permit or a purchase permit?
    Being Jersey, it would be unlikely he'd have a carry permit. It would be almost miracle like.
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I live in Morris County NJ. It's a fairly conservative county as Jersey goes...so I was a bit surprised by the LE aggressiveness in this case.
    Maybe the cops are concerned about some sort of mental disability/limitation as well???
    I can guarantee that the BG (blind guy) doesn't have a CCW.
    They're pretty much impossible to obtain. (We're in the same situation as IL & WI.) You need to a FireArms ID card to purchase any gun, including airguns...(and to own a handgun?).
    And to obtain these cards requires a full FBI background check, character references, fingerprints, etc.)
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links