New Utah laws 2010

This is a discussion on New Utah laws 2010 within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some good laws signed in Utah this year. Info pulled from here: http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/vi...hp?f=10&t=7904 Utah Made Firearms - This is a federalism issue as well as ...

Thread: New Utah laws 2010

New Utah laws 2010

Some good laws signed in Utah this year.

Info pulled from here: http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/vi...hp?f=10&t=7904

Utah Made Firearms - This is a federalism issue as well as a gun issue. This declares that guns and ammunition made in Utah are subject to state regulations and not subject to federal laws under the pretext of the "Interstate Commerce Clause."

Firearms Laws Amendments - This addresses liability issues from legal firearm use. Private property owner is not civilly or criminally liable for any harm or damages resulting from discharge of a firearm by a person who holds a concealed firearm permit while on the owner's property.

John M. Browning State Holiday - Creates a state holiday to honor John M. Browning. This will be observed on January 24, 2011.

Weapons Revisions - Clarifies what constitutes "brandishing" and when weapons can be used for self defense. Also clarifies that "possession of a visible firearm" without additional threatening behavior is not a crime.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

2. Remove Ads

The top of the laws on the heap has to be the ability of ANY concealed weapons permit holder's right to carry a firearm within a school building...no questions asked. Haven't heard too much about school shootings in that state.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

KAK
    So if Utah made machine guns were like every other gun in utah, you could get one with out NFA crap? SWEET!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KAK View Post
    So if Utah made machine guns were like every other gun in utah, you could get one with out NFA crap? SWEET!!!
    I believe that as long as the gun did not cross state lines, that may be true.

This is a copy cat law from Montana I believe.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If one of the "Utah" guns crosses the state line, the Feds will surely jump in. Kind of kills any hope for a large market.

"Private property owner is not civilly or criminally liable for any harm or damages resulting from discharge of a firearm by a person who holds a concealed firearm permit while on the owner's property."

So by what you've stated, If a Utah property owner with a CC permit drops his firearm while having a cookout on his property, hits a guest in the leg, he can't be charged or sued? I believe there's more to that law than what you've quoted. That would be an open invatiation to shoot at will.

Plus 100% on the revised "brandishing" definition.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "Private property owner is not civilly or criminally liable for any harm or damages resulting from discharge of a firearm by a person who holds a concealed firearm permit while on the owner's property."

So by what you've stated, If a Utah property owner with a CC permit drops his firearm while having a cookout on his property, hits a guest in the leg, he can't be charged or sued? I believe there's more to that law than what you've quoted. That would be an open invatiation to shoot at will.
    Yeah, I just put in a snippet. I believe this law is trying to remove one of the obstacles of CC at work. Always a good thing ;)
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The top of the laws on the heap has to be the ability of ANY concealed weapons permit holder's right to carry a firearm within a school building...no questions asked. Haven't heard too much about school shootings in that state.
    Yes sir, none. Uh, wonder what lesson can be learned here?
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I couldn't find the text in the law. Would you mind a cut and paste if you remember where you saw it, so I can read it too.

Sounds like good news!

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    I couldn't find the text in the law. Would you mind a cut and paste if you remember where you saw it, so I can read it too.

Sounds like good news!
    http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQ.html
    The concealed firearm permit only exempts the permit holder from three laws: carrying a concealed and loaded firearm in a vehicle; carrying a concealed firearm on your person and; carrying a loaded and concealed firearm on or about school property. All other state and federal laws still apply. Such as, you may not carry a firearm in secured areas of an airport and you may not carry a firearm in secure federal buildings. These areas should always be posted. But please be aware of these restrictions in case they are not posted.

Can't find the actual law text right off...
    ---

Maybe the John Moses Browning holiday will go National. He certainly did a lot for the US.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    Maybe the John Moses Browning holiday will go National. He certainly did a lot for the US.
    I agree, if it weren't for Mr. Browning, we'd all be speaking Japanese/German. To honor him with a postage stamp would also be proper.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I agree, if it weren't for Mr. Browning, we'd all be speaking Japanese/German. To honor him with a postage stamp would also be proper.
    Hey, I speak German!

I see that Browning was born in Utah so a holiday in his honor is long overdue.

Links