Latest challenge to the District's firearms laws -- Washington Post coverage

This is a discussion on Latest challenge to the District's firearms laws -- Washington Post coverage within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081705427.html Gun-toting soccer moms a scary thought in D.C. area, but not out west...

VIP Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081705427.html

Gun-toting soccer moms a scary thought in D.C. area, but not out west
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    This is a long article. Here is the first page with link to story.

Quote Originally Posted by Washington Post
    Gun-toting soccer moms a scary thought in D.C. area, but not out west

By Fredrick Kunkle
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010

PHOENIX -- In the red rock and sand of the Arizona desert, just past the retirement villages and golf greens that have made this sun-worshipping city famous, sits the biggest public shooting range in the United States.

Not far away are the Wal-Marts where Arizonans pay Sun City retirees to wait in line when a new ammo shipment arrives, lest the supply run out. Residents have the right to carry handguns openly, and starting last month residents who have no criminal records and are at least 21 also are able to carry concealed weapons just about anywhere, without the bother of getting a permit.

The full embrace of firearms is just as fervent to the north in Montana, where nearly two-thirds of all households have firearms. Montanans feel so strongly about their right to own guns for hunting, fending off grizzlies and -- if it comes to it -- fellow humans that lawmakers passed a measure last year that challenges the federal government's authority to regulate guns made and kept in their state.

More of this article . . . . .

Last edited by Bumper; August 19th, 2010 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Article shortened for copyright protection
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I like this one person's comment:

john_bruckner wrote:
    Dear Councilman Mendelson:

I am going to share with you something that snot eating monkeys have already figured out all on their own: All the District's gun laws have never once prevented all the drivebys, holdups and intimidation that you allude to. Not ever.

lol awesome comment.

I read the entire article and really enjoyed it. They interviewed folks on both sides of the political spectrum who were pro-gun.
    And surprise, surprise... none of them were made out to be loony.
    Thanks for posting it.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Very nice article, and the pics were good too. Didn't like the quote from the owner of Sharpe Rifles that "some of the children were excused from class at their parents' request" when his wife took a rifle to school for show & tell....that's actually a big worry of mine, all these people fleeing the west & east coast and bringing anti-gun politics to us folks in the fly-over territory.
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Aside from a few frenetic sections to the piece, it was actually a decent read. I suppose that's what will characterize gun-related writings by DC-based authors over the coming few years as they get used to firearms and the true nature and implications of acquiring defensive skills.

"You think golf forces you to focus -- try holding a deadly weapon in your hand," says Pamela Gorman, who helped ease gun laws as a state senator and is running for Congress.
    For a firearms-friendly person, she's got a strange way of promoting them. But she's got a point about focus, attention, care and respect for the activity. Darned right, people need to pay attention when handling and firing a gun. But come on, it's not rocket science. With a bit of training and sense, any reasonably fit and intelligent person ought to be able to manage a rifle or pistol.

The mere fact it's "a deadly weapon" doesn't make it magically unwieldy, difficult to control or anything else implied by her frightful statement above. Millions of people with decent heads on their shoulders deal with firearms competently and responsibly all across the nation. It's not that difficult for an upstanding citizen to accomplish, particularly when the alternative is to be relatively incapable of otherwise defending one's family against the felony crimes that plague us due to the horrifically broken culture we have.

Council member Phil Mendelson (D-At Large) said the McCain-tester bill could gut the District's regulatory powers, including laws that are stricter than most states about keeping guns away from people with records of domestic violence.
    The laws in every state I know of are strict with respect to disallowing weapons for people with such records. And yet, they acquire firearms anyway. Same'll be true in DC. And it'll have nothing to do with this or that legislative bill.

He also said the law shows a disregard for the realities of the District, where guns mean drive-bys, holdups and intimidation more than sport, tradition and the American way.
    Nobody who is promoting firearms for upstanding citizens is suggesting that felons should ever have an easy time of accessing weapons. The realities in DC are this: that even with a legendary, tough-as-nails approach to NO FIREARMS in DC at all over the past three decades, felons acquired and used firearms for sport more readily than nearly everywhere in the country. Point is, it's not about the firearms; and it's not about firearms legislation. It IS about the murderous culture. Go after THAT, and you'll be on the right track. Part of that must, by definition, include the ability of upstanding people to protect themselves against such predators when it's not possible for publicly-paid assistants (or cops) to be there at the point of each and every attempted murder.

"The national debate about guns just misses that they are very different cultures," Mendelson said of the District and much of the rest of the country. "It's like a psychology, a mind-set, as to how people as a group think about guns."
    Now, you're onto something, bub. FIX THE CULTURE OF MURDER AND MAYHEM. Don't disarm upstanding citizens, either by gutting availability or penalizing people until they're effectively made into felons via their unintended missteps.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The real bummer in the differences in state to state handgun laws is that you are technically a felon in DC with a handgun outside of your home, yet all you need is a clean record to carry a handgun lawfully anywhere you please in AZ.

What sucks is that you can be convicted of a felony in one state for doing something that is perfectly lawful in another state. Once you are branded a "felon" you are considered a felon in all 50 states from that point on, and won't be able to get a legal firearm ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by gigamortis View Post
    What sucks is that you can be convicted of a felony in one state for doing something that is perfectly lawful in another state. Once you are branded a "felon" you are considered a felon in all 50 states from that point on, and won't be able to get a legal firearm ever again.
    An interesting point. The bureaucrats want your butt on the tail end, by disallowing you forever in all states; yet they're unwilling to acknowledge the 2A across the board on the front end, by the same measure, as applying in all 50 states.

It is ludicrous. Dare seek to protect yourself and family from crime in DC, you're a felon; in VA, you're a hero. About as close to being subjects and citizens as we've got, right there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    There is something wrong on its face when you can commit a felony in one area of the USA that is completely legal just a few miles down the road and in most other places.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "I am going to share with you something that snot eating monkeys have already figured out all on their own:"

Man! I have to file that one away for future use.

"There is something wrong on its face when you can commit a felony in one area of the USA that is completely legal just a few miles down the road and in most other places. "

So true. But then that might fall under Fedreal law, and we hardly need that interference.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "I am going to share with you something that snot eating monkeys have already figured out all on their own:"

Man! I have to file that one away for future use.
    Truth be told, I stole it from some other guy. I think it's more like:

"God didn't give liberals the common sense that He gave to snot eating monkeys."

Links