Unarmed Security at my University: Advice on changing this?

This is a discussion on Unarmed Security at my University: Advice on changing this? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Recently I transferred to a small, private university in Texas and was disappointed to find all the security personnel were "armed" with cell phones... This ...

Thread: Unarmed Security at my University: Advice on changing this?

Unarmed Security at my University: Advice on changing this?

Recently I transferred to a small, private university in Texas and was disappointed to find all the security personnel were "armed" with cell phones... This of course presents many alarm bells for the non-sheep among us. While I believe safety is a personal responsibility, at the very minimum personnel assigned to protect an area where lawfully you are not prohibited from doing so, should have the tools to secure an area. I would like to encourage some changes to arm the so called "security" force. Being new to the campus I don't completely have a feel for what the social support would be for this, however with the few students I have discussed this with, they were in full agreement. Being a small university, I am honestly quite hopeful that change is possible, we shall see. What advice does anyone have for where to start with this?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    One thing you may want to look into is converting the current security force into a campus police force. If this is done then they should be required to be armed while on duty. They may have to be sworn in as Special Police for the local jurisdiction but even then they should be armed.

Or (just a thought here) you could work w/ the TSRA to get your rkba recognized on campus

VIP Member
    When I was in school at a largish state U., the security guards complained that they were unarmed. The U Prez basically said, "thank G-d."

Better unarmed security guards than armed and improperly trained security guards.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Colleges are safe places. Guns are bad. Surely you jest! But seriously good luck with that. I'm sure that in a candid moment the SOs will admit that they are providing "Security Theater" to the masses. IT also cuts the college's liability insurance and exposure, which is usually the ONLY reason Security Officers exist in retail and construction. BTDT.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quickest way to get armed guards is to have some nut come and shoot up the place. Sure it'd be putting security in place after the fact but that's the surefire quickest way to do it. Of course we who value life would prefer a more proactive approach. Get a rally going, get the student clubs involved, talk to the dean about your concerns. Odds are if you feel unprotected by inadequate security so do a whole bunch others.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    chances are the only ones who even notice are the trouble makers and the concealed carriers, I remember working unarmed security at a Menards once and trust me, BG's notice if you're unarmed
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Administrator
    Its one of those rare days.... I agree with Treo.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Or (just a thought here) you could work w/ the TSRA to get your rkba recognized on campus
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm very thanks full my U has a state trained police force.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

In Texas, Police Officer wages are much higher that Security. It's all about money.

Quote Originally Posted by Texaspaul View Post
    Recently I transferred to a small, private university in Texas and was disappointed to find all the security personnel were "armed" with cell phones... This of course presents many alarm bells for the non-sheep among us. While I believe safety is a personal responsibility, at the very minimum personnel assigned to protect an area where lawfully you are not prohibited from doing so, should have the tools to secure an area. I would like to encourage some changes to arm the so called "security" force. Being new to the campus I don't completely have a feel for what the social support would be for this, however with the few students I have discussed this with, they were in full agreement. Being a small university, I am honestly quite hopeful that change is possible, we shall see. What advice does anyone have for where to start with this?
    I say get the law changed so that responsible adults with a permit can carry on college campuses....because whether the "security personnel" are armed with a cell phone or a 40MW plasma rifle....they won't be right next to you when a BG strikes. Take care of yourself first...others next.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I say get the law changed so that responsible adults with a permit can carry on college campuses....because whether the "security personnel" are armed with a cell phone or a 40MW plasma rifle....they won't be right next to you when a BG strikes. Take care of yourself first...others next.
    +1. Get the law changed so at least if you're caught on campus armed, all they can do is kick you out(assuming they have a "no guns" rule on campus, which most schools have). Maybe contact SCCC(Students for Concealed Carry on Campus), to start a group on campus.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Not necessarily related.

I was at GA Aquarium today.

Signs and loudspeaker announcements on a timer were reminding all of the kind patrons whom are totally incapable of violence just how safe we were because , Knives, MACE, Guns, Pepper Spray were not allowed inside the park.

Now I clearly understand the necessity not to let a firearm inside and under a 6 Million Gallon container with whale sharks swimming over one's head. Imagine if a discharge happened and hit the sweet spot.

But mace, I mean, Come'on?????

There was not an armed guard, police, or private security in sight.

I admit that I may not continue patronage to local Atlanta places as such any more as it is a potential danger to my life and others to be there.

What's worse is I had to walk half a mile back to my truck to dump my pistol off where I felt even worse leaving it in the event some crackhead broke in and found it.

Of course I already paid for 2 tickets that are NON refundable. So I had to patron the place because the signs warning against are clearly posted about 40' after the ticket line ends and the entrance line begins.

sigh... I know how it must feel on that college campus.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Links